Bogner Red alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by btjguitarman, Apr 22, 2016.

1. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Title says it- I think the sound in my head is what the Bogner Red does, but I'm finding space at a premium. SO anyone have any ideas of something that gets close to that in a smaller enclosure? since I'll get the question, running a Suhr Classic T through a Greer Lightspeed for low low gain and the Bogner Blue for mid gains into a Suhr Bella. I want something to push me into higher gain territory (not shred zone but sort of modded marshall area). Already tried the Suhr Riot and I think the Reloaded might be an option but I need to spend a bit more time with them. Or I can suck it up and make a Red fit. What else you got TGP?

2. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

JHS @ Timmons or Bogner Burnley.

Myxu and halcyon like this.
  3. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I did look for the burnley but couldn't find one when I was out the other day. I'll give the Timmons a look

4. sa1126

sa1126 Member

The new love pedal purple plexi is FANTASTIC.

5. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

There are undoubtedly plenty of great pedals which will do what you want, but I also find that a pedal like the Lightspeed can stack very well into the Blue to give a really ballsy tone. Specially if you switch to the Blue mode (rather than Plexi) and engage the variac setting. When I use the variac setting, I need to roll the volume and treble up a little, but it does sound much closer to a pedal like the JHS AT due to the added compression.

The Blue also reacts very well to a fatter boost like a tubescreamer style pedal.

6. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Yeah I tried that... My blue settings (switches) are variac off, blue mode, b1 pre-eq, and 20th gain structure, and running the gain at about 3. Running the lightspeed into it starts to lose tightness and gets a bit mushier than I'd like.

7. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I know this is TGP, and believe me if money wasn't an issue I'd just do that, but the GAS isn't serious enough to push this project up towards $500.

8. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

that being said, I think you're probably right when you say I should just buy a Red... and figure out how to make it work

9. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

If your going to stick with the same size, let your head hear the new Bogner La Grange also.

Anacharsis and JiveTurkey like this.
  10. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I've played these two pedals and a Bogner Red. Both the @ and the Burnley sound *much* nicer to me than the Red, and they're conveniently smaller. I mean, they're definitely in the same family -- not worlds different in character -- but the Red seemed very dull in comparison.

11. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I always put the sound first and notions of my convenience last. Now, it may not end up being the case, but if the sound I need requires me to get a different pedalboard or boot some of the existing pedals on the board, so be it. Nobody said art was easy.

12. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I've had the blue, red, and burnley. Played the @ Timmons for a half hour in a shop. Burnley is head and shoulders above any of them

13. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

What is it about the Burnley that gives it such a commanding lead?

blackba likes this.
  14. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Check out the Wampler Triple Wreck.

15. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Was it be changed substantially recently? I remember it as a midscooped high gain buzz fest in the lineage of the Red channel on a Mesa Rectifier? I am sure the Bogner red is capable of some of those sounds with the gain up and the mids scooped, but I think the spirit here is a mean high gain but tight Marshall style tone. Really, if the blue had 25% more gain and a way to tighten the bass as you enter that last gain level, that'd be perfect...

16. Echoplexi

I feel that although the burnley has less options available to tweak it is more amp like than any of them. Super easy to get a nice heavy OD/Distortion tone without any fiddling. Maybe the Neve transformer in it is really adding something I dig. Might not work as good if your amp is on the dark and fat side already though.

I had the blue first, which didn't have as much drive available as I needed. Then got the red but something about it I still never felt inspired playing. The burnley was an instant smile from the first chord. Like a holy **** this is what I've been looking for moment for me. Just huge sounding but still with a tight low end and never gritty or raspy treble. I like it better than the actual bogner amps I've played. I'm using it with a les Paul and vintage marshalls by the way

17. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

I've had them all too and agree with echo. The Burnley has this body and fullness the blue and red didn't have. The blue and red both sounded a little thinner and fizzier to me. I even like the Burnley dialed back a bit on gain for leads sometimes on mellow tracks with a little delay.

Echoplexi likes this.
  18. blackba

blackba Member

Does the burnley work best with humbuckers or single coils? Sounds like it would work best with a strat. I have a Bogner Red that I like, but I have also been curious about the Burnley and La Grange. GAS is fun, isn't it :)

19. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

With high gain pedals almost in general, if i had to pick I like solos more with a bridge ssl-5 single coil, and chords better with a jb humbucker. It's a feel thing. That goes for the Burnley atleast for me.

20. Echoplexi

Works well with humbuckers too imo. I use low output paf style though so that may be in my favor too