Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo is it...

jmccann040878

Worth the price that they are selling for new, or are there better suited amps for far less of a price. I had always heard about the Shiva, but it wasn't until a couple of days ago while I was trying out a Marshall Silver Jubilee head that I finally got to try one out. I really liked what came out of it, but when I saw the $2,700 tag on the amp, I was in shock! My go to amps of lately have been my 66 BF Super Reverb, and a Genz Benz Black Pearl 2x12 30 watt combo. Pedal wise, I am running into both of them into a Bogner Red Ecstasy pedal, a Boss OD-3 and a Strymon Flint reverb. I have been very happy with the tones I get out of my setup, and my Bogner pedal gets some really good tones, but that Shiva has just been on my mind since I played it. I would really love to snag one of those amps up, but in order to do so I would have to move some gear, and a few of the items would be my 66 Super, and the Black Pearl. Should I just stick with what I got and call it good, or go for it? Somebody talk some sense into me!

Guinness Lad

That is a pretty fair price for an amp of that quality. People need to be realistic here, this is made here in the USA, secondly it's not 1964 anymore. Use this as a comparison, cars in 1964 cost on average $2000 to $3000, now they cost $30,000. Shouldn't musical equipment also trend at the same rate? Where it kills is this, getting paid to play, my buddy who played in the 70's gets paid the same now as back then when playing bar gigs. This thing I have issue with. If people who were good players got paid what they worth a $2700 amp would seem like nothing.

motokev

I bought a NEW one (6L6 version, 1x12) a few yrs ago for $2600, sold it used a yr later for $1500, OUCH !!.
Was it worth $2600, NO (I really don't think any amp is worth $2600.). Is it a nice amp, yes. But, the clean was kinda neutral, not the crisp clean I like. The reverb was ok but nothing great. The OD was OK, but not the JCM 800 gain I love. The amp is kinda heavy, also. I think Bogner wanted the Shiva to satisfy the need for an all around amp providing nice cleans and gain. I think it gets somewhat close compared to whats out there. It's probably worth $2K new comparing to other amps out there. If you can get a MINT one for $1500, I think its worth it.

Bobby D

That is a pretty fair price for an amp of that quality. People need to be realistic here, this is made here in the USA, secondly it's not 1964 anymore. Use this as a comparison, cars in 1964 cost on average $2000 to $3000, now they cost $30,000. Shouldn't musical equipment also trend at the same rate? Where it kills is this, getting paid to play, my buddy who played in the 70's gets paid the same now as back then when playing bar gigs. This thing I have issue with. If people who were good players got paid what they worth a $2700 amp would seem like nothing.
yeah, but in 1986 I was making $150 a gig, and now in 2016 i'm making......usually....$150 a gig (barring corporates and weddings and special events)

I would love a Shiva 1x12 combo - GREAT amp.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Lots of shiva users on here- which shiva are you after. Kt88/6l6/el34?

I've bought two used for $1250-6l6 and $1500-el34. Love both but have since sold both... Massive tones and I want another el34

I've never purchased "new" ever... So I don't know! If you have funds and want to spend them? Sure! You'd know exactly the life of the amp.
I'd personally be more prone to buy used.

jmccann040878

I've been reading more reviews about this
I bought a NEW one (6L6 version, 1x12) a few yrs ago for $2600, sold it used a yr later for $1500, OUCH !!.
Was it worth $2600, NO (I really don't think any amp is worth $2600.). Is it a nice amp, yes. But, the clean was kinda neutral, not the crisp clean I like. The reverb was ok but nothing great. The OD was OK, but not the JCM 800 gain I love. The amp is kinda heavy, also. I think Bogner wanted the Shiva to satisfy the need for an all around amp providing nice cleans and gain. I think it gets somewhat close compared to whats out there. It's probably worth $2K new comparing to other amps out there. If you can get a MINT one for $1500, I think its worth it.
After reading your post, I think I am going to look for a used one. If it came to where I did have to sell the amp, I wouldn't want to take that much of a loss $$$ wise.

I actually found a used one on Reverb, I'm just to hear back from the seller on the year and what kind of power tubes are in.

By any chance does it have a switcb on it to drop the watts down to 40?

jmccann040878

Lots of shiva users on here- which shiva are you after. Kt88/6l6/el34?

I've bought two used for $1250-6l6 and $1500-el34. Love both but have since sold both... Massive tones and I want another el34

I've never purchased "new" ever... So I don't know! If you have funds and want to spend them? Sure! You'd know exactly the life of the amp.
I'd personally be more prone to buy used.
I'm looking at a EL34 loaded one. After the post Motokev put, I think Im going to look at investing in a used one, and I'll use my Red ecstasy pedal as a third channel in front of the amp.

lkft

There's a Bogner Shiva combo (older, silver chassis model, I have this same amp in a head) on Reverb now for $1,700 shipped. Great amp. Well made. Master volume on it is an audio engineering masterpiece, great tones at any volume. Good luck.

jmccann040878

There's a Bogner Shiva combo (older, silver chassis model, I have this same amp in a head) on Reverb now for $1,700 shipped. Great amp. Well made. Master volume on it is an audio engineering masterpiece, great tones at any volume. Good luck.
Yeah I saw that one on there. I shot the seller a message asking about the amp.

axelfoley

Silver Supporting Member
Just FYI, the Shiva combo is probably the heaviest 112 combo in production. It's pure punishment to carry w one hand, and I'm not a small guy.
If you're set on the combo I'd look for a road case unless it stays stationary.
Imo $1700 is a bit high. I'd pay that for a 20th but for a standard model w reverb 1500 tops.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't think they're overpriced relative to the competition.

Big fan of buying used.

Played a 20th Anniversary KT-88 1 x 12 combo at Trutone in Santa Monica. Crazy heavy, terrific amp. Perhaps the best SRV tones I've ever heard on channel 1.

MantraSky

Silver Supporting Member
A few years ago I paid 1,800.00 for a 2x10" closed back Shiva combo, EL34 pcb rev-03 (new looking, used), I believe new were going 2,300.00 nice sounding the only thing was the weight (around 73lbs) the 2x10" spkrs were
Great sounding, (two different Celestion's).

river_jetties

I have only played for a few hours but it sounds great; it has had a long history so there have been many variations / effects loops etc... Very good master but obviously sounds better opened up. A very good job of "fenderish" clean / "marshally" lead channels. Also, take a look at craigslist, the easiest way to search it to go to google and "site:craigslist bogner shiva" which will limit your searches to only craigslist.org. like this: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:craigslist.org bogner shiva

Trending Topics