• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

Bogner Shiva 20th Tube swap - whats best?

delron22

Love my Shiva 20th but does anybody have any 12AX7 tube swap suggestions?

I have found the Shiva's midrange a little nasal on high gain and would like to sort that if poss.

Cheers!

jdh4him

Chinese Series 8...I've got 4 left from when I had a Shiva (EL-34 combo), and its the tube I settled on...

Telefied

I am using a JJ ECC83 in PI to darken the amp up (using stock KT-88s). Also using 12AX7 EH in the V2 and V3. Stuck with the stock Chinese 12AX7 in the V1. This results in a much warmer and thicker midrange but leaving the KT88s in give that big bottle clean.

papersoul

Supporting Member
JJ ECC83 in V1, V2, and V3...then the remaining Chinese I believe. SED Winged C El34s.

Chinese in V1, 2, 3 are too harsh to me!

Telefied, what gave you the warmer, thicker mids?

frankencat

Guitarded
Silver Supporting Member
I'm running some ARS labeled tubes which are a JJ ECC83 in V1 and Chinese in the rest of the pre slots with the Sovtek KT-88's. Normally I would barf at this tube setup but I tell ya this amp sounds so freaking good I am not changing anything just yet. I tried a Tung-Sol RI 12ax7 in V1 but it just didn't do it for me. Also tried the EH 12ax7's and they sound flat to me. This amp loves the Chinese tubes I am thinking.

papersoul

Supporting Member
I don't know, the Chinese tubes to me in this amp sounded harsh. The JJs are giving me a fatter, warmer, smoother vibe.

Leftyman

Gold Supporting Member
You should seriously consider swapping the power tubes out. I have heard the 20th with the stock tubes and was not a fan but once you put EL34's in it sounds great.

SyKrash

You should seriously consider swapping the power tubes out. I have heard the 20th with the stock tubes and was not a fan but once you put EL34's in it sounds great.
Bump for this. Tried the Kt88 one first and while it was good, I felt I needed something more "Traditional" sounding and got them to put El34s in mine. Been happy ever since!

se7en

The only problem with that is you'd be underpowering the amp, unless you change the transformer out as well. I have one on the way that is loaded with Winged C 6550's...you should try those out...I've heard nothing but good things about these tubes in this amp, even from diehard EL34 users.

rdodson

Preamp-wise old Yugo EIs are incredible in this amp (V1). Tung Sols in V2 and V3. In my previous 20th, I did the EL34 switch and the tone is incredible on Channel 2, but you do run into bias issues and therefore crossover distortion unless in is biased just right (and a little hot). The problem is that in this circuit the bias drifts quite a bit; okay for the KT88s but not good for the EL34 if you are running them in the sweet zone to begin with. I'd love to try the 6550s.

papersoul

Supporting Member
What problems are you gyus talking about with the 20th Shiva and EL34s. I have had no issues. I run my EL34s in the 20th Shiva at 35mA. Bogner told me the amp runs just fine with El34s. I find the KT88 version too stiff and not sweet enough. 6550s will also have some of that stiff feel. Not for me...

I thin the KT88 version is more immediate, the EL34 version is more forgiving and chewy. :)

It does not feel underpowered at all!

50MkII

Would be interested in hearing what preamp tubes have fit best, which you have compared them with, and tonal differences.

50MkII

Seems that as I have been reading about the preamp tubes some of you have used, the experiences drawn are from the Chinese 12ax7, JJ's, Tung-Sol and Yugo's ECC83's (also read where someone used a Mullard 12ax7). Have you guys tried anything else? What have been the differences with each swapped along with the valve position changes? Hearing about those changes and comparisons between the tubes can add some much needed info to the discussion.

Anyone here talking about or have done similar with a non-20th anniversary Shiva? Is there a discussion about the different generation of Chinese 12ax7's since Bogner recommends there usage in this amp?