Bogner Shiva 6L6 or EL34

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tiny terror, Jan 29, 2008.

1. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

I'm still deciding between the Shiva or the Hot Cat 30R, but i wanted to hear some input about the 6L6's vs EL34 in the Bogner. I play mostly blues some heavy rock and sometimes country.

2. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I'd go for the 6L6 version

3. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

do you need to drive the 6L6's harder than the EL34's to get them to breakup

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

just got a new version 6L6 a few days ago so i'm still getting acquainted with it. but i played both versions in stores extensively before deciding. i found the 6L6 more clear and evenly balanced - that is, less fuzzy and mid heavy than the EL34. i think it was also a little more open and bright than the EL34. even so, i find myself keeping the bright switch engaged, presence past noon and mid & treble almost maxed when on Ch. 2 - for now, at least. i'm coming from a JCM800 so i got pretty used to brighter crunch tones. maybe my ear will change as i get used to the Shiva.

btw, i don't understand why everyone says the EL34 is tighter on the low end. i found it just the opposite. as everyone will agree, the EL34 version has more sag & fuzz. so it stands to reason that the bottom would be looser? anyway regardless of the reason, from my A/B exprience the 6L6 is tighter.

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

no, less.
    offical ratings per Bogner:
    6L6 - 60W
    EL34 - 80W

but both are pretty damn loud. don't expect a lot of power tube breakup at practical volumes. this amp is primarily designed for preamp gain on Ch 2 and perfectly clean on Ch. 1.

6. myles111

myles111 Member

I think your observations are accurate from my own experience.

7. myles111

myles111 Member

The reality when you measure the amps at about 10% distortion show about the same output of about 70 watts.

Don't forget that the EL34 in most cases is a 25 watt tube and most 6L6's are 30 watters.

But ... another 8 watts can come off the screens on the EL34 and about 5 watts is spec screen on a 6L6.

8. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

so the 6L6 version is a 60w which would probably better for using in house since it should breakup @ lower volumes.

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

ah, finally . . . validation!
    :AOK

10. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

do you have any experience with the Hot Cat by Bad Cat? was just wondering if I should be looking into that amp more

11. freaksho

freaksho Member

well, Bogner recommends SED 6L6GC, which according to __________ is rated at 23W. (i can't remember the site right now. lord valve? weber? whatever.)

but your point is taken - for all practical purposes, they're about the same.

so to tiny terror, choose based on tone not breakup.

12. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

thanks for the insight

13. billm408

billm408 Member

+1. I picked up the 6L6 for a country/blues band that I was in and it's great for that as well as hard rock. It won't really do metal w/o some OD pedals. To get some break up I use a Katana clean boost, but you'll go deaf before the clean channel gets much natural overdrive.

I found the cleans on the 6L6 a little thicker & warmer than the EL34's- YMMV.

14. GuitarHero76

GuitarHero76 Member

I have a hotcat 30 head and matching 2x12 cab and i love it. The clean channel doesnt stay clean very long but turns into a nice overdriven tone and the gain channel is very versatile you can play alot of diffrent styles and there are plenty of tones the controlls are very interactive. hope this helps some

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

no, sorry. i had considered it too but never got a chance to play one. the only thing i can tell you is that i didn't bother trying too hard to find one because of two things people commonly said about it: gritty voicing at virtually all settings and not much head room on the clean channel. plus, i wanted completely independent channels, with separate controls and everything.

the Shiva really is like two amps in one, no joke. the two channels can sound very similar or almost nothing alike depending how you dial them in. the range of all knobs and resulting versatility is unbelievable.

16. hardys

hardys Member

Check out some other threads here about Hot Cat 30 Rs. The newer reverb models have been reported to have a lot of issues.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

As far as levels you would not notice any difference and both versions would be way too loud for most home applications.

18. myles111

myles111 Member

On the 23 watts .... that is incorrect.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Tube/6L6GC-svet.pdf

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I'll throw in .02 by saying - 6L6 v EL34 doesn't really matter on this amp.

They BOTH sound great. Play both, record with both - if no one ever told you the difference you might not really care. One is a little richer in the mids (EL34), and one has a little more extended highs and lows (6L6). If you takt this stereotype I can tell you that I have had times I liked the EL34 clean better and the 6L6 gain better or vice versa. Tube amps, homey - different room, different day, different temperature - who knows? Either way, I am NEVER disappointed.

I have heard this debate forever, and if you are that obsessed you probably were playing alone or have the guitar track solo'd out on a recording. Once in the mix they both scream "Shiva"!

I am not the only one who feels this way btw.

20. freaksho

freaksho Member

+1
    at "bedroom" volumes it can be a dull and lifeless. better than other MV amps i've tried, but still it's a gigging amp that prefers to wail.