Bogner Shiva 6L6 owners....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pullagnm, Mar 11, 2008.

1. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

...what do you think about this amp? I played a new one at Grandma's in Albuquerque and was floored by booth channels. I can't stop thinking about this amp's tone. I've never heard an amp's overdrive sound this good. That's why I've always used pedals for my OD. Of course I haven't played a lot of boutique amps.

2. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

I love mine. The Cleans do it for me. Wow, Grandma;s music is still around. I used to go there all the time when I first started playing. Last time I was in there was about 17 years ago before I moved to Denver.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

i love mine too. i found it less fizzy, tighter and just the right amount of mids compared to the EL34 version. i did A LOT of a/b testing between the two in a local store. and the cleans . . . oh my, the cleans :drool.

4. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I love mine. I replace the lead 80 with a V30 and now I love it even more. There's tons of clean headroom, very Fendery and it takes pedals very well. By playing with the clean channel volume control you can dial in great blackface tones and by turning it down you can roll off some of the highs and it sounds more like a twin. The gain channel is very clear and harmonically complex even at higher levels. BTW this amp can play at stadium or bedroom volume. The master volume acts almost like an attenuator. I usually use pedals thru the clean channel for low/moderate gain and the amps second channel for higher gain.

5. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Grandma's have grown quit a bit. It's like a mom and pop store in the size of a Guitar Center. They have a large selection in everything music related. And they can compete with the on line pricing.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad it works with pedals, because I have a couple that I would keep. Now I can see why some people are guitar and amp players. This amp is all you would need.

Some one mentioned that the gain channel was like a JCM 800. Would you agree?

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

it can come very close with the eq set right (bright switch engaged - mid, treble & presence set pretty high - bass set lower) but that's not the natural flavor of it. it's overall a bit darker & smoother with low-mid emphasis. but if that's not your flavor (it's not really mine) don't let that scare you, the eq range is huge and offers many options. i've only had it for a couple months and am still learning, but i recently discovered a simple 90 degree turn of the treble knob completely changes the flavor. i'm used to the limited eq range of my JCM 800 so the Shiva eq has been eye opening to me.

edit:
    btw, i speak about this having A/B'd my 2204 with my 6L6 Shiva thru the same cabinet for the past few weeks. so i'm not just spewing bs or guessing. my main goal when i got the Shiva was to get a 2 channel that could do killer cleans and a slightly beefier JCM 800 on the gain channel. the Shiva is definitely it. not saying there aren't others that can do it just as well, but this is the only one i found and i don't feel a need to keep looking.

7. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I loved mine, but replaced it with an Aiken Sabre a while back, mostly because I needed the features of the Sabre.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Love the 6L6 Shiva. Had a 1x12 combo I sold because it was a beast. I wouldn't mind having a new 6L6 head, or a Budda, or.....

9. jamison162

Are the Sabre's back in production? It's been awhile since I spoke with Randall.

10. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Can the shiva still get some of those nasty classic rock or even a little heavier rock like an XTC 101b?

Or are those just completely different beasts.

I too want an amp or amps, that can obtain the fender cleans, twin reverb, and then soar in leads similar to a JCM 800, I know its selfish but its the way it is

11. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Shiva/Mod 50/Sabre will all get these tones you are seeking. I like the Shiva a LOT.

12. Lution

Lution Member

The 6l6 Shiva I owned could compete gain-wise with the blue channel of my 101B, without the harmonic woody character, and with more of a plexi-type sound... but it couldn't reach the gain level of the red channel on my xtc.

13. jamison162

You need an Orange Rockerverb 50 or 100 then. Scumbacks or G12-65's for a 2x12. Greenbacks in a 4x12. V30's will never give you Fender clean with these Bristish type amps. They sound muddy compared the Greenies/G12-65's. I like the RV50 best...4 x 6V6's = Fender Deluxe Reverb style cleans. And the dirty channel is your JTM45, JCM800, Plexi KILLER!!

I sold my Shiva after getting the Orange. I kept the Orange over the Budda's and /13 too.