Bogner Shiva EL34 at "indoor volumes"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 15, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Does this amp sound decent at indoor/practice volumes? I don't need it to get down to NYC apartment volumes, but want to know if it does OK playing along with you tube on the PC.

Tnx.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It's ok, but it doesn't sound like a Shiva until you have db's behind it. In other words, IMHO, it'll do that... but not very well. The Shiva likes to run pretty open. IMHO, YMMV.

3. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Nope, I found it pretty unimpressive at lower volumes. Not bad, just not anything special.

Open it up, and that's a whooooole nuther story.

4. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

When you guys refer to opening it up, does that mean it's too "big" to do smaller venues well?

5. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

when I say open it up I'm talking about getting an open tone which usually means a tad of presence or treble to try to uncompress the tone a tad. get an open tone. a tad less compressed. marshalls can open up nicely. The shiva can be compressed though I dig em. I'd probably go with the 6l6 if I got one.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

IMHO, and I have owned 3 Shivas over the years, you need to get into 105db+ to get it to sing. It's not a 'bedroom' amp by any stretch.

I did *plenty* of shows with it in smaller rooms 100-200 seat rooms. Does great. Used a plexiglass shield in front of it sometimes. Loved it on the Bogner straight 412 in the bigger rooms (300+) we used to do in a rock covers band I was with for a number of years.

7. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Define small venue? I've used 50 watters and a 2x12 opened up reasonably in many clubs without problems.........Heard plenty of other folks using Shivas for the same application........

8. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

That's about the size of it.

9. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Ever resonate a room? Seriously. One thing I do to get to know a new amp is pop in some ear plugs go into a room and really crank it up. To check out how it reacts in terms of distance and angles with the guitar.....how the feedback behaves.........

10. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Would runnin a attenuator be a goodidea?

11. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Get a Weber 100 watt Silver Bell, ask Ted to build it with a 97db sensitivity rating.
    Both my Shiva's loved that speaker (still have a 6L6 Shiva), both channels really shine with no trade off's at all.
    It'll help keep the volume manageable without using a attenuator.

12. DavidE

DavidE Member

Agreed. I used mine at my gig last night and the master volume was barely on into a 1x12 closed back cab with a V30. Sounded good, but man it sounds so much better turned up a bit.

13. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

+10........same results here

14. Ricker

Ricker Member

It's one of those amps that needs volume
    Although the master has a good gradual taper on it ...... the amp sounds and feels pretty crappy at lower volumes......
    As others have said........it comes alive when the volume is up........but that may be too loud for some.....

On the other hand I have a 101b and that is 120watts and is louder than a shiva ...but it sounds killer at lower volumes.
    Is there a high gainer that sounds better than 101b at lower volumes?.......I doubt it.

R