Bogner Shiva EL34 vs XTC 101b vs EVH 5153

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dongrammar, Feb 8, 2012.

1. dongrammar

dongrammar Member

I work as a session guitarist, mostly pop stuff but these days that means you need a pretty heavy guitar sound. Obviously I need a good clean also.

All three are a similar price.

The Shiva seems to have the least gain of the three. I'm a bit confused though as the videos i've seen of Rafael Moreira and Justin Derrico seem to be pretty high gain?!

I want a nice fluid solo tone. I know the XTC and 5150 can provide this but maybe I'm getting a bit greedy with the gain.

I dont know! Help!

2. RSRD

RSRD Member

The clean of the shiva blows the other 2 away. It's the best clean tone I've ever encountered on a channel switcher. The boost will get you some very thick lead tone on the OD as well. The 101b has the ever amazing blue channel which is hard to beat but the xtc clean isn't that nice.

Hope that helps! If it were me id get the 20th shiva and b done with it! I see them running used around 1800. You won't find a better amp at that price.

3. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I have owned three Shivas over the years and now own a 5153. I agree that the Shiva's cleans are the best of the three amps. However, I believe the Shiva's gain channel is the weakest of the three. Not that it is "bad" per se, but it is not as versatile as the other two amps (and not just in the amount of gain). For a "fluid" lead tone, the XTC or 5153 would be a better choice IMO (you may also want to look into Mesas for that).

Over a year ago, I compared the XTC and the 5153 as I wanted a more versatile, 3 channel amp with a foot-switchable FX loop. I ended up with the 5153 as it had more of an immediate feel to me, and a more aggressive "in your face" sound that I preferred.

4. Kelly

Kelly Member

Fryette Sig X

5. RSRD

RSRD Member

Not only did he not ask for other recommendations but you don't even clarify why you are suggesting the fryette....

6. fatbagg

fatbagg Member

Shiva has the cleans, xtc has the amazing plexi blue channel, and a topnotch lead channel.

5153 sounds great in all channels, but not better in any.

I say XTC