Bogner Shiva Head Chassis Removal Tips for Tube Replacement?

Creatone

Hi guys!

I have a green chassis EL34 w/reverb Bogner Shiva Head. I was hoping other Shiva head owners could offer up some tips on removing the chassis when you needed to re-tube/re-bias. Any specific tricks you use to get it out safely, or resting angles etc.

The screws that hold the back brace on come out easy enough, but the brace itself feels like it’s in there pretty good! I didn’t want to pull too hard and tear the tolex or anything. Is it safe to gently tap it forward to nudge it loose?

I will be purchasing the Ruby BHT EL34‘s as suggested on the Bogner FAQ, but I’m still unsure of what preamp tubes to go with. Seems like most people recommend Chinese?

Thanks!!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
For preamp tubes I find the Chinese stuff kind of gritty with lots of highs.. I prefer To mix the Mullard reissue with the JJecc83’s... The 803’s are nice to...
opinions will vary all over the place...

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
When I had my silver-back EL34 NR Shiva, I had a mix of Tung-Sol and Electro Harmonix preamp tubes. There should not be any issues pulling the chassis out. Once the screws are out, just turn the head upside down and slide the chassis out.

Creatone

For preamp tubes I find the Chinese stuff kind of gritty with lots of highs.. I prefer To mix the Mullard reissue with the JJecc83’s... The 803’s are nice to...
opinions will vary all over the place...
Thanks! In What positions do you like the Mullard? How would you describe its tone?

When I had my silver-back EL34 NR Shiva, I had a mix of Tung-Sol and Electro Harmonix preamp tubes. There should not be any issues pulling the chassis out. Once the screws are out, just turn the head upside down and slide the chassis out.
Thanks! For removing the back panel, is it ok to tap it out from the inside to nudge it loose a bit? It’s in there pretty snug, and I didn’t want to tear the tolex or anything. :)

Thanks! In What positions do you like the Mullard? How would you describe its tone?

Thanks! For removing the back panel, is it ok to tap it out from the inside to nudge it loose a bit? It’s in there pretty snug, and I didn’t want to tear the tolex or anything. :)
I often tear up a piece of paper and put pieces inbetween the chassis corners and the tolex on my amps to prevent damage to the tolex when removing a chassis.

Trending Topics