Bogner Shiva, Hot Cat , Or Venus 6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tiny terror, Jan 26, 2008.

1. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

Im looking to buy a new combo amp and can't decide which amp to go with. I have a Orange tiny terror now, I'm looking for a little more gain I play blues, rock to heavy metal any suggestion? Bogner Shiva , Bad Cat Hot Cat, or rivera Venus 6

2. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

3. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

4. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I really like my BadCat.

HotCat is a great model, I liked mine better, but find a HotCat and play it....I was about 3 seconds away from buying a HotCat before the salesman pointed out the A/B 50 to me......which won me over.

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just took delivery of a Bogner Shiva yesterday. It is an EL34 loaded head with reverb. I lOVE IT!!!! It's such a sweet amp. The clean is incredible and the overdrive is ridiculously good. I had a combo 1x12 about ten years ago and let me tell you, they have improved upon this amp ten-fold. Get the Shiva, you will not be disappointed at all with it.

[​IMG]

b

6. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

The Shiva is the king, in my book.

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

From my experience with the Venus 6 I would say its not a good metal tone.You gotta crank that sucker too. Blues and rock I'd say definately.

8. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

does the shiva have enough gain for metal

9. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

without cranking it past annoying to the rest of the house

10. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

Get the Shiva. Hands down the best of the ones you mentioned for the type of music you want to play.

You might want to look at the Egnater Mod 50 combo. You can get tones equally as rich as the Shiva, but by choosing the right preamp modules, you can voice the amp any way you want. I have had 3 Shiva's, and now own a Mod 50. More versatile and the tones are just as good. Also, the amp might be less expensive which bloes me away. I paid 2K for my head, and the Shiva heads are about 2300. I'm not sure about the price of the combo.

11. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I don't think any of the amps mentioned hear will do metal. I had my Shiva modded by Voodoo amps and now it does eighties style shred gain, but definitely won't do Metallica.

I played the Hot Cat and have read three reviews on the Venus. Either won't really get you into metal territory, although the Hotcat has a real nasty distorted tone that's a little more sleazy than a Marshall, sort of like a Matchless Chieftain.

12. analogwarmth

analogwarmth Member

yes

13. mach5

mach5 Member

Is that a good thing? I was looking at a Hot Cat too.

14. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

No.

But, I could easily get it into In Flames/Bodom/Soilwork territory with pedals.

It takes pedals really well, so you can get there quite easily. The gain is more of a hard rock gain. But it's an incredible amp.

15. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Hot Cat has plenty of gain. What are we talking about in terms of metal(style-wise)? The band Shadows Fall used a hot cat 100 and Marshall JCM 800 to record "The War Within". That's pretty heavy.

You're also gonna run into a difference in whether there's enough low for the "metal" side of things. A combo may not be the right way to go for that.

I don't get the "nasty" distorted tone comments I hear. Here is a "hard rock" clip of the Hot cat 30 thru a V30 loaded 4x12. the hot cat is the 1st guitar you hear playing the main riff. a scratch guitar comes in underneath after a few bars. this is with the gain around 12-1 o'clock with pretty aggressive humbucker in the bridge. we didn't EQ on this track. sm57, senn. e609 and large diaph. condenser.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5142411

hot cat 100(excuse the bit of sloppiness):
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4204229

16. highgeer

highgeer Member

I would take a Venus 6 over any other 1x12 combo (including Shiva, Bad Cat, Egnator, etc.). You can tweak the distortion channel to get just about any sound short of death metal. The cleans are some of the best in any amp out there. It breathes well at lower volumes, but it stays together at loud volumes.

Mike

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I haven't played the Venus. I own a Hot Cat 30R head and have heard th Shiva in person many times. I much prefer the Hot Cat. The Shiva is too compressed sounding for my tastes, with a bit too much bottom end.

All are great amps, but my personal vote goes to Bad Cat.

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

No that's why I love it so much.

Just being a wise ass, nothing malicious intended!!!

bilbal

19. bilbal

bilbal Member

The bottom end is so easily taken out if you want. The tone stack is the most interactive I have come across yet. The slightest of manipulation to the dials completely re-shapes the entire tone IMO.

I must say that I love BadCats too. The Venus? I haven't a clue what that is.

bilbal

20. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

hows is the blues tone for the shiva verses the hot cat 30?