Bogner Shiva or Marshall DSL 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fridgit, May 14, 2008.

1. fridgit

fridgit Member

Okay this may sound like a silly type of thread, but I seriously want some experienced opinions! I know these 2 amps are different beasts, but the sound I am looking for, these 2 amps pretty much possess.

DSL
    I found a DSL 50 head at a local shop going for $800. I tried it out and was very impressed with both channels. 2 channels and 50 watts would be all I'd need, and the clean on the DSL was a very nice EL34 clean (I was surprised) and the crunch mode was excellent as well. I really did like the lead channel (OD1) despite some people saying they didn't like this channel.

SHIVA
    Okay, here's my dilemma. I am also looking at the Shiva EL34 as well. The cleans are amazing, and the crunch/lead channel is very very nice (w/ & w/o the boost on). My problem is, I've tried out 4 different Shivas & got different results each time. The 1st two I tried sounded amazing in every way and gave me major gas!!! Then I had the opportunity to try out another head and then the 1x12 combo, and tones on channel 2 (for both) sucked a$$? Maybe bad preamp tubes? IDK, but these 2 bad experiences have kept me from buying one for quite awhile.

So before I pull the trigger on the DSL, I'm gonna go try the Shiva again. But at $800, I'm really gassin' for the DSL! Please help!!!

2. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

Are you sure all the Shivas you played were EL34 versions and not the 6L6 versions? The aluminum back amps made before 2006 (I think I have the year right) sound better to me than the updated version with a better loop and boost adjustments. The newer ones have a green colored back chassis.

I like the head and OS212 combination better than the combo or even the Shiva sized cab. Shiva's love V30s even if you don't like them. They are about the only amp that makes them sound great. I believe the combo speakers are Lead 80s instead of V30s, unless you special order it with V30s.

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

If you find a used Shiva for anywhere near $800 let me know.

4. fridgit

fridgit Member

All of the ones I tried out were the EL34 version. At least that's what each sales rep told me (as if they are anymore trustworthy than a good politician). LOL

5. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I have a DSL 100 that I love. I've got 2 of the power tubes out cause I felt it sounded sweeter that way. It took a long time to dial in, but I feel that with my current eq setup it sounds very good. I like the reverb and great sounds can be found with both channels. I love the red channel. I recently bought a mint Marshall Slash and was really impressed how close a tone I was getting with the DSL. I've also put it up against some Mesa heads in the high-gain Marshall modes and thought the DSL sounded as good or better.

The major drawback for me is the shared eq. After dialing in my distortion on the red channel, I feel that the clean tones are not what they could be. Same goes for the red channel if I set up my tones for a great clean. Its not that bad and I have gigged with it as a two channel amp for years, but its hard to get a great clean and great distortion with the same eq. It also lacks a little bottom end in the overdrive channel but its not too bad to my ears.

For $800 its a heck of an amp.

6. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

The DSL is a very good amp, and at a great price. I have a Shiva, and love it, but you cant go wrong with the DSL at that price.

7. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

What kinda gigs or recording do you want the amps for?

They are both good for certain things, though the Shiva will kinda excel all around. The DSL can do some shockingly good classic Marshall tones when set right, and it has that raunch.

As far as the inconsistency with the Shivas, they can be a little different among themselves. Then I agree with the above poster, newer models and older models sound different. Shivas are best with V30s, but do not write off Shivas and Greenbacks, they work well too!

8. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

Shiva over the DSL any day of the week.

9. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

They're both different sounding as you already know, but the Shiva would be my choice.

10. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Shiva. I'd rather play unplugged than through a Marshall DSL.

11. se7en

se7en Senior Member

12. miks

miks Supporting Member

Ive owned both and the shiva wins hands down for me. I even think its a better option than the xtc.

13. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Tried a DSL a while back but it sounded a little bland to me to be honest. I have the newer Shiva and love it, but then again, mine's been modded by Voodoo amps - the clean channels warmer and sweeter and the gain channel is much more agressive and biting if I want it to be.

14. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I'll take any Bogner over any Marshall.

15. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The Shiva is a great amp.

16. bynt

bynt Member

I don't hate the DSL by any stretch of the means but I always feel like "eh" every time that I do (there's one at the store where I give lessons). I think if you can afford the Shiva, go for the one that's "right" for you. I only played one (EL-34) but I'd take that over the DSL.

Still, it's definately not a BAD amp. Just (to my ears) not that great either. I'd play one if it was given to me.

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Kind of an unfair comparison to me, Shiva by a long shot...
    But,
    The DSL is a fine amp and I think the newer JVM410 is a nice improvement.

18. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

If the original question had been

Tin of Cat Food or a Marshall DSL50 ?

That tin of cat food would have been my choice, I suppose you can guess how highly I rate DSL50 amps. Ive never played a Shiva myself , but Id bet a wad of clash they would blow a DSL50 away to smithereens.

Bryan

19. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

No contest. I've played DSL's before and they don't come close to the Shiva. Of course, with the price difference the Shiva better be a superior amp.

I have 2 EL-34 Shivas that I use so that'll tell you what I think of them right there. I'm convinced at this point that it's the perfect amp for me (I've had mine for a few years now and I've never played anything better).

20. Tommyv

Tommyv Member

I don't think the Shiva has as much gain as a DSL, I like the red channel of the high gain side of the DSL. The only drawback to me on the DSL is the shared EQ.