Bogner Shiva or XTC 101B?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wengnutt, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Wengnutt

Wengnutt Member

Hello all! Im in a dilemma. I have the opportunity to trade my Shiva for a 101B XTC. The reason Im thinking of trading, is my style is more hard rock/metal(Think Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell) and the XTC would probably fit me better. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE the Shiva, but I just need more flexability in overdrive sounds. I know I'll be sacraficing the clean channel, but I just need a decent clean, nothing great. Would the 101B provide a similar overdrive to the Shiva?

Thanks!

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

I have played both amps and while I own neither (yet), I would recommend the trade. I personally think the XTC is one of the best sounding amps ever made. I like the Shiva a lot, but the XTC is money! Also, If you hate it, you can sell the XTC, pickup another Shiva used and pocket some $$$ as well. You really can't loose. Good luck.

3. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I sold my shiva due to the gain ... too dark, too something.....not quite sure how to describe it....

I think the XTC sounds way better in the gain department....

since your aware of the clean channel trade off I say go for it!

4. tsjcs

tsjcs Guest

I owned both amps at the same time for a while and sold the Ecstacy 101B and still have the Shiva. The Ecstacy was great too and if I had only had it, I would have been happy. I just prefer the Shiva's OD tones.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am also the odd duck that preferred the Shiva over the Ecstasy Classic I owned. Loved both, just liked the Shiva better in the end.

Just my opinion.

6. Wengnutt

Wengnutt Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! Im still undecided. I like the Shiva's drive, but I could use more for metal applications. Ive used the Shiva for heavier stuff with the boost, but no overdrive pedal and it does great. It just seems when it comes to my leads it loses sustain. I would like to be able to get that heavy, low end, chunky Bogner crunch. If the XTC has that plus more gain, I'll gladly take it. And in the end, if I dont like the XTC, I could always sell it and buy a Shiva again like p.snail said. :)

I think for my overall style, the XTC might do the trick. I play heavy stuff similar to Type O' Negative, BLS, Pantera, and some bluesier stuff like SRV, and Albert King. ARGHHHH! I CANT DECIDE!!!

7. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I play everything from Alice in Chains to Godsmack with mine, and it has enough gain for me..Hope this helps..:dude

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

With those comments in mind, I'd go for the Ecstasy. You'll get what you are seeking, but you will suffer on the clean side IMHO. But you know that.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

Sold the Ecstasy (classic) and kept the Shiva. Suits my style and type of music better.

10. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

THe XTC has a more refined OD. The Shiva is more raw. The XTC is a cool amp but it's pricy as hell. If you can do a trade straight up I'd do it.

I personally like the Shiva better than the XTC. I like the Shiva and the Classic the same.

11. kannibul

kannibul Member

FWIW, and AFAIK, Jerry is pretty much exclusively using Shiva's now...

12. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I'd trade just based on the lopsided value of the trade (in your favor). I play heavier music too and while I like my Shiva, I think it's a little dark and smooth. If I could swap for something a little more aggressively voiced like the XTC, I would try it. The XTC is worth double what the Shiva is so you're in a win-win situation if its a straight trade. Should be a no-brainer.

13. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

One often overlooked thing about the Shiva is that the effects loop is a pain in the butt- jumper cable, channel volume is send volume so it's easy to overdrive the loop. If you run any effects in the loop, XTC is WAY superior IMHO.

14. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

The Ecstacy's a great amp, BUT has to have the presence almost full and the Master full/just set your individual channel vol's as needed. The master down below half with the channel vol's up is NO WHERE near the tone of having the Master full blast and the ch vol's lowered to taste.
    These two ideas will help the Xtcy hugely!

15. Wengnutt

Wengnutt Member

Does the XTC require a special cable like the Shiva? Thats one thing I really dont like about the Shiva. I'd like to run a G-Major through the XTC, but every time I did it with the Shiva, it just sucked out so much tone and almost always overloaded the G-Major. And this is when I was using the special cable, too.

16. sws1

sws1 Member

No special cable required for XTC.

Why is there 2 completely different opinions on Shiva loop. I've heard some say it's great as long as you use ducking cable. And others say it is awful.

What's the real answer?