Bogner SHIVA users and GREENBACKS or BLUES???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 1973Marshall, Oct 12, 2006.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Any Shiva users have experience running thru Blues or Greenbacks?

What did you think? Esp. for versatility while still covering good old rock n roll!

2. Ironman

Ironman Member

I used to have both Shiva flavors (6L6/EL34) and tried them both out with V30's, RI Greenbacks and Anniv. G12H30's, all in Marshall 4x12's. I felt the best match with the Shiva were the V30's. They worked great for covering the Classic/Hard Rock stuff. I think the reason being is the somewhat dark voicing on the Shiva and V30's gave me that cut that I needed. The GB's were too blurry/fuzzy/mushy sounding and the H30's sounded decent but not as good as the V30's. I love GB's though, mostly with brighter voiced amps.

I understand there is a new Shiva with a bright switch which I'd love to audition, that might change things a little but I can't comment on that. Regarding the Blues, I have absolutely no experience with that speaker. Good luck!

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I've owned three Shivas and I thought they sounded best into a mix of Vintage 30 and Classic Lead 80 speakers, but those were the "Made in England" verisons, not the current "Made in China".

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Blues? Do they make a 30w Shiva? Becuase the ones I know would blow those expensive speakers apart.

5. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I've been the happiest with a mix of V30s and CL80s in my Bogner 4x12''. The V30s give it that smooth highend with a lot of midrange punch and the CL80s give it a nice balanced crunch on the overdrive and better lowend definition overall.

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I hear the 80/30 mix a lot with these - must be something to it?

I love that the V30s sit in the mix, have raw raunchy tone and cut thru. However, all this talk makes me wonder. Would the 80s make it kinda dark and fatter? I hope not too dark, the amp is dark enough. How does the gain sit? Are the highs as shimmery?

Do feel free to answer my original GREEN and BLUE questions as well!

7. klatuu

klatuu Member

kinda what I was thinking.......75 watt amp and 30 watt cabinet are not good mates.

8. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

I run either a 2-12 cab w/ vin 30's or a 2-12 w/ g12h30 and vin 30. the shiva and vin 30's seems to be a great match. other amps don't work nearly as well with the vin 30's though.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Twang which cab do you prefer and why?

10. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

I like the vin30 + g12h30 for the clean channel and the dual vin 30's for rock + roll stuff. I mostly use the first cab but both sound almost identical when you crank them up.I always mic up the 30's in which ever cab I use out our sound guy thinks it sounds best so the FOH sound is the same with either.

11. benabloom

benabloom Member

right now i got a 2x12 cabinet loaded with 50 watt Weber Blue and Silver Dog...from my shiva El34 and I am loving it... especially the blue...creamy but agressive goodness.

12. kram21

kram21 Member

i feel that the shiva sounds better with cl-80"s,by the way i do not feel that the shiva is a dark amp