• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Bogner Shiva, will it do modern rock?

mindseye

Got a line on a 6l6 60w shiva for cheap,do they have enough gain on tap to do modern rock?

Im use to playing a mesa boogie triple recto and play stuff along the lines of seether,foo fighters,Alice in chains....etc you get the picture

will a 6l6 60w shiva handle this?

How do they sound at lower volumes?

dr.morton

As with all amps it depends a little on the guitar pickups.

The Shiva has two channels...a clean one which stays very clean even on high volumes (and is an excellent pedal plattform)...
and
a crunsh/lead channel with plenty of gain.

With the bridge pickup on my guitar, which is a little bit hotter then a usual PAF, I can get great modern rock tones especially with the boost engaged.
With low output single coils you would need an additional overdrive.

pacomc79

Got a line on a 6l6 60w shiva for cheap,do they have enough gain on tap to do modern rock?

Im use to playing a mesa boogie triple recto and play stuff along the lines of seether,foo fighters,Alice in chains....etc you get the picture

will a 6l6 60w shiva handle this?

How do they sound at lower volumes?

Absolutely, It's a great if not perfect amp for those sounds. The EL34 version is probably better for the specifics you are looking for the 6L6 is a little looser on the bass, but the cleans are more prefered by my ears anyway.

It's not going to have as much gain or as much treble as the triple rec.

It's a much smoother tone if that makes sense but you can get those sounds out of it if you want.

What is your issue with the Triple Rec and what other amps are you shopping?

Road King? Mark V?

JunkGear

Silver Supporting Member
The Shiva will get you there, but don't expect Mesa Recto gain out of it.
It will cover the gain you want and sounds fantastic, but it's a whole different beast than a Boogie. If your looking for something different, then I'd say go for it. They are great amps.

freaksho

Silver Supporting Member
6L6 Shiva is my main amp. I agree with everything said above except about the loose bottom end. I know that's what the Bogner website even says and maybe the EL34 is tighter I dunno, but I can't imagine it getting much tighter. I've played loose bottom amps and this is not what happens with the 6L6 Shiva. It's as tight as the 2204 I had, and bigger, and thicker. I say go for it, you'll love it, especially if you're into huge cleans too. But be warned: it has to get up to shouting volume before it sounds its best. The main complaint with the Shiva is the dreaded "blanket over the speaker" syndrome, but that is for people trying to use it as a bedroom amp. It doesn't sound bad at lower volumes but it's best as a stage amp.

se7en

Jerry used an EL34 Shiva for almost the entire Degradation Trip recordings. That being said, if you want the best Shiva, I'd go with the 20th Ann. model. It cuts better and is more open sounding than the old Shivas. It also has more gain to get you into modern territory.

02Singlecut

Jerry used an EL34 Shiva for almost the entire Degradation Trip recordings. That being said, if you want the best Shiva, I'd go with the 20th Ann. model. It cuts better and is more open sounding than the old Shivas. It also has more gain to get you into modern territory.
+100.......:aok

SyKrash

I have a 20th anniv shiva with El 34s. This one definitely has enough gain on tap even without the mode switch engaged.

From my experience with the older shivas, the dirty channel can get enough gain, but it might not have enough to cut through a mix. It really depends on the speakers and how you EQ things. The channel can be a little on the dark side.

It definitely is in a completely different camp than a rectifier series, so just be ready for that. It's apples to oranges.

Red_Label

Silver Supporting Member
Shiva will do it, but it won't do it like the Uberschall, Mesa, Diezel, and Elmwood will.

I had an EL34 Shiva. It was an awesome amp. But it needed help from an OD/distortation pedal to get there. Also, even with fully-scooped mids and high treble/presence, it wasn't the raging beast that those amps are.

Anyways... not trying to talk you out of the Shiva cause I loved mine. Just want your expecations to be realistic. I'm not a high-gain guy anyways... so the Shiva and amps like it are more suited to my taste. Only sold mine because I got an XTC Classic that did Shiva tones and beyond.

Trending Topics