Bogner Shiva

PanicProne

Allright.. I think I'm in love. Or maybe it's just extreme GAS! I've been reading reviews, watching vids and whatnot and just can't get enough of this amp. Is it really as good (or bad) as the world is telling me? Problem is I can't seem to find one in sweden to try out...searching like h:Devilll at the moment.... There's plenty of shops who have the alchemist but compared to the shiva it just doesn't feel interesting..

Give me some thoughts. And yeah,
- anyone got one? (Head+what cab/which combo? El 34s or 6l6s?)
- how much d'you pay? (is/was it worth it?)
- what kind a music d'you play?
- how does it handle pedals?
- would it be mad to buy without trying? (if I try out appears impossible that is..)

I'm waiting. :munch

Hendog

hahaha

I layed in bed last night with my headphones pluged into my laptop and listened to every one of those Shiva demo's on Bogners website 3 or 4 times.

There were moments where I laughed out loud and moments when I had tears in my eyes. I **** you not.

Hendog

I have 2 of them. The Alchemist isn't in the same league. They go for around $1500 used in mint condition. I like to play really heavy stuff, but a lot of bluesy stuff too. The Shiva handles everything very well. It can get brutal with a pedal in front. There's not a ton of onboard gain but enough to do like Scorpions and Iron Maiden type stuff without pedals.

It's great with single coils and humbuckers. The clean channel is incredible. It has a very lively, jangly, beautiful sounding clean tone. Yes indeed it handles pedals well. The Shiva can do anything.

I bought mine without trying. Everything I read about them was pretty much spot-on. When I was shopping for one, I wanted an amp that was versatile, unforgiving, tight and that sounded damned good with anything you throw at it. It's pretty tight with good definition.

It's not a mistake to buy one without trying first. You should consider the 20th Anniversary Shiva though. I've had mine since Wednesday and love it. Awesome amp.
I was told the 20th has more gain. Is that true?

I really want a Shiva but I dont think it has enough gain for me and I dont use pedals for dirt.

small axe

i have shiva 6l6 combo that was made in 06. it is my main amp....the tone that comes out is unbelievable. i paid a lot for it and waited a long time to get it since i got it in green tolex. well worth the time and money. it has great clean channel and the gain and boost are excellent...can get pretty dirty. it can handle most pedals thrown at it and does a great job keeping the tone. i hope u find one in sweden....dont bother with an alchemist in my opinion.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I have an older EL-34 NR Shiva head, and it really is THAT GOOD!!!

Stormin!

i recently went to trade in a dual rec, and ended up between a el34 siva, and the mark iv, both used, and demoed 4x12 with greenbacks and vintage 30s

for me, the mark iv through greenbacks won at the guitar enter demo room, and at home i'm very happy

toneispower

It has been my main amp for over 3 years.. I have grown into amps with much less gain...so I'm putting her up for sale... :( Bogner Shiva 6l6 2x12 combo (vintage 30s) FRESH TUBES! 2200$... :crazy pm me... -kyle

Bob Savage

I was told the 20th has more gain. Is that true?

I really want a Shiva but I dont think it has enough gain for me and I dont use pedals for dirt.
I've heard that the 20th gain wise is somewhere between the standard Shiva and the "Super Shiva".

I owned a standard Shiva for a couple years until I got the Super Shiva. the Shiva is a great amp!

Bob Savage

i recently went to trade in a dual rec, and ended up between a el34 siva, and the mark iv, both used, and demoed 4x12 with greenbacks and vintage 30s

for me, the mark iv through greenbacks won at the guitar enter demo room, and at home i'm very happy
I initially had my OS 2x12 loaded with GB's, but didn't like it at all. The Shiva's sag circuit and overall voicing along with the GB's was just too much compression for me. Changing out the speakers (V30 & G12H-30) made all the difference.

nater9

I've got the el34 w/ verb from about 2005. It's my main amp. I play mostly blues and rock covers and it fits right in there perfectly. I also use the effects loop and it's great as well. Takes pedals well too. I wish the clean was a bit more fenderish, but overall this amp is awesome. I love the gain channel and stack it with a boost pedal and you've got tons of options. There isn't a bunch of gain, but plenty for most folks unless you want extreme metal.

I'm using it with the oversized V30 Bogner cab 2x12 and it's a nice match. I will probably always keep this amp because it is very versatile and can get you pretty close to about any tone you're looking for.

If you go for it - you won't be dissapointed - guaranteed!!

keith_t4e

HI Bob. Long time. How are you doing. I have an anniversary shiva coming. I got the non reverb one. I'll probably go for the 212 white matching cab. I have some H30s in an Orange cab that I have. Not crazy about the Orange cab though.

Bob Savage

HI Bob. Long time. How are you doing. I have an anniversary shiva coming. I got the non reverb one. I'll probably go for the 212 white matching cab. I have some H30s in an Orange cab that I have. Not crazy about the Orange cab though.
Hey Keith,

Very cool! I'm jonesing for the new Uber and matching cab, but don't forsee one in my near future. Are you getting the KT88 version Shiva?

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
I traded mine for another amp (and I'm not sorry because of my sore back from hauling the Shiva around). That being said, you CANNOT go wrong with a Shiva. My 6L6 1-12" combo sounded great for just about everything. I may go ahead and get a SHiva head again one of these days but I've got 3 other amps (Carr Rambler, Bogner Duende, Red Plate) to keep me busy in the meantime.

I loved my 6L6 Shiva.

nater9

I traded mine for another amp (and I'm not sorry because of my sore back from hauling the Shiva around). That being said, you CANNOT go wrong with a Shiva. My 6L6 1-12" combo sounded great for just about everything. I may go ahead and get a SHiva head again one of these days but I've got 3 other amps (Carr Rambler, Bogner Duende, Red Plate) to keep me busy in the meantime.

I loved my 6L6 Shiva.
Not to hijack - but how do you like your red plate? What are the specs? I'm going to look into one of those pretty soon here....

keith_t4e

Yes Bob, KT88, White, non reverb model. I'll probably get the matching 212 though I'm not a V30 fan at all. Some amps sound good with certain spks though. I know you did a comparison because I've played the clips on your site. What spks did you like with your Shivas?

Bob Savage

Yes Bob, KT88, White, non reverb model. I'll probably get the matching 212 though I'm not a V30 fan at all. Some amps sound good with certain spks though. I know you did a comparison because I've played the clips on your site. What spks did you like with your Shivas?
I ended up with a V30 and G12H30 in my OS 2x12, however, I think the Shiva sounds great with the stock V30 OS 2x12. There are certain amps I don't care for with V30's (like my Deliverance), but I think they work great with some amps.

I loved my Shiva for many a gig here in Las Vegas. Very versatile & great tone.

Recently purchased a Mesa boogie Electradyne...worth checking out also. I think the two rate as the best channel switchers I've played (even though the Boogie isn't a "true" channel switcher...it behaves like one).

I actually prefer the Electradyne over the Shiva now.

Check out this recent thread...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/594206

Good luck with your quest. The Shiva rocks.

:BluesBros

RRClassic

I had been hearing praises of the Electra Dyne by a lot of players I respect so I took the drive down to the local shop to try one out. It was a nice departure from the typical boogie thing for sure but with all due respect in comparison to the new 20th annvs Shiva there is no contest. I completely agree with you when comparing to the older Shivas....to my ears the old ones were good but not great. In fact I came to sort of look at Bogner as the 80's amps with no real personality. The 20th annvs is stunning it is so good...I expected to say "it's ok but it was incredible. The Mesa is good and a solid good to me which means nothing to anyone else but man o man the new Shiva is a whole new best. The other amp that is killing me is the new 100 watt Naylor....good lord.

Great playing by the way and great recording, I think your recording shows an exact replication of the Electra Dyne and its nuances such as the compressed cleans!! nice job!

I loved my Shiva for many a gig here in Las Vegas. Very versatile & great tone.

Recently purchased a Mesa boogie Electradyne...worth checking out also. I think the two rate as the best channel switchers I've played (even though the Boogie isn't a "true" channel switcher...it behaves like one).

I actually prefer the Electradyne over the Shiva now.

Check out this recent thread...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/594206

Good luck with your quest. The Shiva rocks.

:BluesBros

Trending Topics