Bogner Uber rev blue preamp tube options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Igneous, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Igneous

Igneous Member

Soooo.... I just got my uber and amp dying to test out diff tubes in the preamp section.

Bogner recommends jj/tesla power tubes and chinese preamps.

Has anyone ever tried out anything else(nos or new prod) and if so, what are your thoughts?

I know that with many modern amps, throwing a mullard in sometimes just doesnt work well but I am just wondering as the chinese of course are very fizzy sounding.

I have:
    Mullard blackburn shortplate
    rft
    rca 5751
    tungsol longplate(NOS)

new prod:
    jj's (short and long)
    new tung sol
    chinese
    etc...

2. rp108

rp108 Member

Congrats on the amp. Uberschalls are awesome. Are you changing them just to see or you want something different?

3. Lution

Lution Member

You can give those all a try. From my own experience owning several Bogner amps, I always came back to chinese preamp tubes. I tried Mullard, Amperex, Jan Philips, Tung Sol, Sovtek, and few others, and I always thought the chinese 8th and 9th gen sounded best. That doesn't mean you'll find out the same, you may like what you hear.

4. Igneous

Igneous Member

I was thinking about just taming some of that high end fizz a bit. I just went home for lunch real quick (just got it yesterday) and plugged it in to a 1936 Marshall 2x12. Thump thump!This thing is gonna kill!!

Well, it seems that someone put some long plate sovteks in there(pre's) and the rest are the the original Chinese(2)(so, I think its time to swap them out for newer ones anyway)

I wonder if putting like a new tung sol in V1 and keeping the rest chinese would do something me likey?? Luckily its a simple looking tone stack so it wont be as difficult as my rivera k55 knucklehead was. That was a strange amp when I tried different combos. Took me forever but I actually found a great combo for it of NOS and new.

If anything I just want to round out the tone a bit as far as some of the fuzziness goes. I also have some really cool sovtek wxc's or whatever and those came in the riv(same kind of structure as the chinese and sovteks)

Seeing that they are most original tubes(sans the lp sovs) and I'm assuming the amp is about 6 years old or so, I am going to swap out the power tubes for some jj e34l's that I have anyway. That might darken it up a tad as well.

Wednesday, I get out of work early and am going to do some taste tests and come back with a full report...ah chasing the dragon!

5. rp108

rp108 Member

I hate to say it but this head loves v30's. Not sure if that's an option though.

6. Igneous

Igneous Member

Ive got an oversized mesa with g12t75's and v30's

Looks like Chinese are the way to go after some poking around. What are the best ones? 9th generation or something? Ive got a few but don't know exactly what ones they are.

7. Danktone

Danktone Member

8. Igneous

Igneous Member

awesome. Thanks!