Bogner Uberschall Pedal. About to Get My 2nd One ***Updated with Clip!

**Updated with video clip! Had one. Loved it but preferred my Ecstacy Red and was tight on cash(the secret to high gain sounds is using the volume boost, it acts as an overall boost, not just volume). Got a new(vintage)amp that is basically a massive clean platform, 1973 Ampeg V4. My Ecstacy Red sounds great through it but almost too smooth opposed to the chunky massive tone I'm going for. I'm liking the using the Red more as a smooth mid gain pedal.

I tune down to C standard and hoping the Uberschall will have more thunder on the low end and bring more chunk on palm mutes. Also, anyone boost an Uberschall pedal with a Rat? I have a vintage Rat clone that sounds killer as a boost on the diodes-out setting. Post clips of your gnarly, aggressive tones courtesy of a Bogner Uberschall pedal if you got 'em, and thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:

MattLeFevers

I love mine. I've had it for a year now but it finally made it onto the main board just this week because my metal band is starting to record our album so I needed it handy.

I agree, I was underwhelmed by the high gain tones until I kicked that Boost on and now that switch never gets turned off. It sounds mean, like the halfway point between newer Metallica tone and modern extreme metal.

I'll post a clip when I have something, we just started tracking on Tuesday.

I love mine. I've had it for a year now but it finally made it onto the main board just this week because my metal band is starting to record our album so I needed it handy.

I agree, I was underwhelmed by the high gain tones until I kicked that Boost on and now that switch never gets turned off. It sounds mean, like the halfway point between newer Metallica tone and modern extreme metal.

I'll post a clip when I have something, we just started tracking on Tuesday.
Great way of putting it! Its a great tone and definitely pissed off sounding. Love how easy pinch harmonics are on it as well, easy to get your Zack Wylde on haha

Rumors of War

I got one on a whim and was surprised at how good it sounds; fairly uncompressed and open until the gain is @ 3 o'clock, and stays clear and articulate all the way up. The tone controls have a lot of range. Can do lowish/medium gain too, and then there's the boost - pretty underrated.

Ultimately I prefer fuzz for higher gain applications, but if I was playing more modern stuff it would definitely have a spot on my board.

I got one on a whim and was surprised at how good it sounds; fairly uncompressed and open until the gain is @ 3 o'clock, and stays clear and articulate all the way up. The tone controls have a lot of range. Can do lowish/medium gain too, and then there's the boost - pretty underrated.

Ultimately I prefer fuzz for higher gain applications, but if I was playing more modern stuff it would definitely have a spot on my board.
I love fuzz as well, wondering what my Black Arts LSTR will sound like boosting the Uberschall

Buzzard Luck

Excellent mid-rich, Mid-gained soaring lead tones with the boost switch engaged. Total Holdsworth friendly sounds with decent pickups and technique, or even Schenkerish with PAFs and a V. with the boost switch engaged. Also could still take various kinds of O.D. Or boost pedals for that smidgen more. Very nice. But for authentic chunky massive tone, the MXR 5150 pedal beats it hands down, and the Blackstar HT metal pedal is way better still, especially for Kreator fans. But for Smooth singing leads or even Strat dudes with an open mind, the uberschall is a remarkable device.

Excellent mid-rich, Mid-gained soaring lead tones with the boost switch engaged. Total Holdsworth friendly sounds with decent pickups and technique, or even Schenkerish with PAFs and a V. with the boost switch engaged. Also could still take various kinds of O.D. Or boost pedals for that smidgen more. Very nice. But for authentic chunky massive tone, the MXR 5150 pedal beats it hands down, and the Blackstar HT metal pedal is way better still, especially for Kreator fans. But for Smooth singing leads or even Strat dudes with an open mind, the uberschall is a remarkable device.
I found it to be pretty damn gnarly with the gain cranked and the boost activated! Havent tried the other two but checking some demo's out leads me to believe I made the correct choice. I'll post a clip when it arrives for anyone interested in achieving maximum carnage with an Uberschall

ungarn

Uberschall is a great pedal, less gainy than I expected but that is NOT a bad thing.
Works really well with Fender circuits too, like PRRI.
Have yet to try the MXR 5150 pedal, but is on the wish list.
For all out METAL and nothing but METAL, my favorite would be the Amptweaker Tight Metal or one of its variants.
That thing was unrelenting...wrong pedal for haunting mids and cleaning up with guitar volume...but perfect for \m/

great string separation in the clip I dig it. IMO you just cant get that out of a gain pedal.
It's more of a pre amp than just a 'gain pedal', I know what you're saying. The string separation is amazing, it's so fun and inspiring to play with that much gain and clarity.

MattLeFevers

Post clips of your gnarly, aggressive tones courtesy of a Bogner Uberschall pedal if you got 'em

I realize this thread is like three months old now but I finally got something finished using the Uberschall. This is an instrumental I made - all the guitars are going through the Uberschall, with the boost on for the rhythm and boost off for the leads.

It sounds pretty mean.

southpaw pete

I realize this thread is like three months old now but I finally got something finished using the Uberschall. This is an instrumental I made - all the guitars are going through the Uberschall, with the boost on for the rhythm and boost off for the leads.

It sounds pretty mean.

That sounds great, Matt! Do you ever use the Uberschall in worship?

MattLeFevers

That sounds great, Matt! Do you ever use the Uberschall in worship?

Thanks! I do not, haha. I had it on my church board for a while but I was running an AC15 at church at the time, and it and the Uberschall did not get along. At home it's this big, meaty distortion but through the Vox it was shrill and piercing and gross. I never tried that again. o_O

I will say that it works better for that application if you lower the gain down to more of a bluesy overdrive - I've done that a couple of times in a pinch - but I have other ODs I prefer for that, I leave the Bogner set up for punishing gain.

southpaw pete

Nice. I found someone selling one locally, and have been listening to YouTube videos trying to imagine if it would work, or be a bit too much for my worship setup.

Although, I have been thinking of doing some heavier industrial goth shows down the road (not at the church lol). Could work well for that. But I'll probably hold off for something that would work with multiple genres instead.

MattLeFevers

Nice. I found someone selling one locally, and have been listening to YouTube videos trying to imagine if it would work, or be a bit too much for my worship setup.

Although, I have been thinking of doing some heavier industrial goth shows down the road (not at the church lol). Could work well for that. But I'll probably hold off for something that would work with multiple genres instead.

Well it's awesome for industrial, I did some session work for an industrial type guy and it sounded great. I had just bought the Uberschall a few days before that gig came in asking for an industrial sound and I almost cackled with malevolent glee.

I'm building a nano board right now and am going to experiment with whether I can dial in the Uberschall for a low gain sound that would be more versatile... it'd save me buying yet another drive for the small board. With as many EQ and gain options as it has, there must be some way to get it sounding right, but I haven't put in the time yet.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom