Bogner Xtc 100b, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by born_hard, Sep 23, 2008.

1. born_hard

born_hard Member

Hi,

i have a chance to buy a Bogner XTC 100B Head. Do you recommend to pick it up, or are the newer versions 101B better? I know that the Plexi Mode in the Blue Channel has only on the newer versions.

Anyway, is the head comparable to the Fish Preamp soundwise. Can i get marshally dirtier sounds like on Dirt from Alice in Chains? I dont like it too smooth, you know...
    And can i play at normal rehearsel volumes to get a good sound out of it (Master Volume is good on that)? Because i was playina Budda SD80 and that was a pain in the ass, just too loud...
    I never played one, so i thought i ask you for advise:).
    Otherwise i was looking on the Roccaforte Jenelle which is also a damn good head with much mojo...
    Greets
    Aron

2. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

The best of all Bogners. period.

If a 101B is worth $2800.00 then a 100B is worth $4800.00.

Less congestion - more clarity - better clean channel -
    More bark - less mid range spike - Just an overall better
    tone. If you A/B'd them you would be surprised.

I have owned a dozen Xtcy's and still own two 100B's.

Plus they are very rare- more rare than the Bogner Fish.
    Reinhold made 200 Bogner Fish Preampsa
    He only made 150 100B Xtcys ...

Great master volume and better tone than the Fish. How
    much is it? If it's around 3-3500.00, BUY IT!
    Keith

Dannyz likes this.
  3. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

For those not familiar...what's the difference between the 100B and 101B?

4. SQUAREHEAD

:jo Ok... I thought I just went thru that.

-More "in your face"
    -No "blanket over speakers"
    -Much more bark and bight
    -Better clean channel
    -Same gain
    -Less mid spike that 101B has
    -More even frequency
    - - - - - - - - - - - - Much better than any 101B (IMHO)- - - - - - - - - -

keith

Dannyz likes this.
  5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I wonder how close the 100B would be to my XTC Classic.
    I've heard that there are alot of similarities between the two.

S.j

6. geetarman

geetarman Member

Keith, Did you sell your Classic?

7. SQUAREHEAD

Close but the 100B is still better.
    I have owned two Classics and 5 101B's - I still own two 100B's.
    The Classic (in my opinion) is a wayyyyy better amp than the 101B.
    The 100B is better than the Classic.
    tHE 100B is like 3D tone and much more full sounding.

Either on is better than 101B tho.

The Classic is an attempt at the 100B tone. Much better than the 101B but still not there!

Keith

8. born_hard

born_hard Member

Squarehead,

thanks for the reply, that sounds all very good...
    Do you also own a Steavens amp? Since i live in Germany, i could also buy that head. Have you compared the Steavens 100 PoundCake 100 MKIII - with the Bogner 100B?
    Aron

I just need a good and versatile channel switcher head...

9. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Sorry I should have been more clear. I mean...what are the technical differences?

Do they use the same tubes? Same trannys? Same circuit? What's different? 100B same as Classic? No? What are the technical differences?

Or put another way; there has to be a reason the 100B is...
    ...and the 101B and Classic are not. What are those reasons?

10. SQUAREHEAD

Aron,

Yep... Steavens is a killer amp!
    It is very cloise to 100B in that it is more bark and bight than the 101B.
    Great amp- the III has all kinds of great switching too!
    Two master volumes...
    Great amp! I love my Steavens Poundcake! (Mine is MkII but switching and dual masters are only difference-TONE is exactly the same)
    How much is it?
    Bernrd Steavens is a great guy!
    Keith

11. SQUAREHEAD

The 100B has hand wound trannies - less features - and weighs about 7lb more than the others. I dunno about "inside" the amp tho...
    I do know it's the Bogner that I wwill never sell. These two 100B's are staying! All the others have come and gone.
    Keith

12. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

I say listen to Keith. He talked me into buying a Classic over a 101b and Im so glad I listened. I had a 2007 101b and returned it to GC becasue I could stand spending $4000 on an amp , then wanted to go the Bogner route again and find a used one after missing the 101b and got the classic for $2500 and yes its IMHO its better than the 101b.

13. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

OK...thanks. So is the timeline something like this:

Bogner makes 100B - everyone loves it

Bogner makes 101B - it sounds a bit different and people love it but the folks that were 'spoiled' by the 100B want that tone back

Bogner makes Classic - which makes the 101B sound closer to a 100B...but doesn't quite get all the way there

I've always wanted one and one of these days I might be able to afford one...but I don't really keep up with them because they are just so far out of my range.

14. SQUAREHEAD

Yep... Pretty much it!
    Now... People with 101B's for the most part will have no idea that they have an "inferior" amp (imho) ... That's all they've heard. Most do not have the luxury of A/B'ing the 101B, the Classic and the 100B. I have.

But, yes, Ejecta's right, the Classic is the Superior Bogner for sure. It "should" be their flagship amp- not the 101B.

Reinhold wanted to add additional features to the 100B and brought out the 101B. The worst 101B's of all are the one's with the cab switching!
    Stay WAYYYYY clear of those!
    They come up on ebay as "very rare"... hehehehe- Ya, "very rare" as Reinhold knew that the tone sucked and immediately stopped producing them!

Keith

15. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

Don't say that the Classic is better over on the Bogner forum! They'll jump all over you!! LOL I agree fully though...I've owned the 101b and the Classic and as far as I'm concerned the Classic is a much better amp. I'd love the opportunity to try a 100b one day.

PS: Does Steavens have any North American Dealers? What do they go for>

16. SQUAREHEAD

Where is this forum??!!
    lol....That's Brent's forum right?

He's about the only person I know that's played both and doesn't see the difference in Calssic's favor. lol
    Good guy, Brent is... I just don't know about his hearing-or maybe a bad tube in the one he had? I dunno.

Keith

17. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have owned 2 100B's, 3 XTC Classics and 5 101B's. If you want an more open sounding amp with less gain go with the 100B. If you want more gain and liquidy tone get the 101B. I personally like the 101B's the best.

18. born_hard

born_hard Member

Squarehead,

would you buy a Steavens or the 100 if you were me?
    The 100B is around 3200$ BTW

19. droptopt

droptopt Silver Supporting Member

I had a 101A and 3 101Bs. I really liked the overall tone of those amps but I didn't ever use the clean channel and found myself wanting more punch. I tried a number of amps and nothing came close for what I wanted. Then I saw a 100B in the emporium and thought, "Well I can always get my money back out of it if I don't like it". It was night and day for me. I immediately sold all of my 101's and I now have 3 100Bs. The clean channel is sooo much better for what I was looking for. I run the gain all the way up and it is so full and rich. I A/B'd a '65 bassman and the 100s clean channel into 2 Bogner OS 2x12s and you couldn't tell which was which. The amp is overall more punchy than the 101s I had. The plexi mode on the 100 has more low end than the 101s and thumps more like a real plexi. The Red channel isn't as muddy as the 101s either. I used to assign the second presence knob to the Red channel so I could get it to cut through the mix. Not on the 100B. I know Reinhold made some neat upgrades to the 101 and part of that was to meet market demand. The power amp sections between the 100 and 101 are really a lot different and that's where the 100 is just a lot better IMHO. I would never go back in a million years.

If you can find a real 100B for $3200 I would suggest you get it. If not, let me know where it is and maybe I'll get a fouth one.

YMMV

Dan

20. pluto

pluto Member

I have a 100b and a 101b with 6550 tubes. I don't know if one is necessary better than the other, but they do sound very different. It's almost like owning two different amps. One thing about the 100b is that the fx loop is horrible-when I turn it on with the footswitch or even change channels when the loop is one, there's a loud popping noise. Does anyone know how to fix the popping noise?