Bogner XTC 101B - any good for low volume practising?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

How does this beast sound at lower volumes for home practice, through perhaps say, a Bogner 2x12?

2. billm408

billm408 Member

I wouldn't recommend it for that kind of use. While you can use the fx loop to act as a MV, it's not quite the same. The XTC is at it's best when you're pushing some air.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

The reason I ask is that I frequently use my Mark IV for that and it sounds pretty good doing so, IMO. I'm thinking of selling it and buying an XTC.

4. billm408

billm408 Member

It's a great amp and I'm not saying you can't practice at lower volume. Just that you won't be getting the best it has to offer at bedroom levels. You can drive a Ferrari 35 mph too and I'm sure it drives just fine.

5. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I think it sounds good at low levels, but when you get to turn it up....:BEER

6. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Funny, I just purchased a new 101b and 2x12 2 days ago. I'm still learning the amp but I have to completely agree with CRS45 and bikerdude2. Sounds pretty good with a bb preamp to tighten it up and a touch of delay as well for low volume playing.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Of course. Thanks man. Aslong as it sounds "okay to good" at low volumes it will do for when I'm not jamming with the band :JAM

8. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I think it sounds pretty good at low levels, but the other guys are right, it sounds AMAZING turned up. It will be a completely different beast than your Mark IV though. If it was my money...I'd take both.

9. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

It's great at bedroom volumes and f-ing AMAZING at gig volume.

Matt

10. zuel69

zuel69 Supporting Member

Whats really surprised me so far is how great the clean channel is. I have read a lot of negative reviews concerning it. My amp is a 2007, I wonder if something changed?

11. sws1

sws1 Member

I thought it was just OK at bedroom volumes. Somewhat uninspiring. Not like a Shiva which I think DOES sound great at low volumes.

12. digital jams

digital jams Member

No where near as good as the MK IV that you have.

13. Erik

Erik Member

Maybe, maybe not. Best way to find out is to pick one up, evaluate, then sell the amp you like least.

14. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

it works great, people will say it's 'not worth it' to have that big an amp for practicing.....but honestly, unless you are able to spend cash on a ton of amps for every possible scenario, buy the amp for the largest possible venue you would imagine playing, and then just deal with the practice tones....its practice after all, not opening for Led Zeppelin.

Just get it, it rocks!

15. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

+1 That's how mine is too. Best "home friendly" amp I have. Wife hated my Soldano Avenger at "bedroom volume" but loves the 101B. Me too!

16. voodoochile

voodoochile Supporting Member

I agree with the above- an XTC is designed for BIG airspace and volume. I had an XTC and loved it, but it was really like caging up a large animal. It still sounded okay at low volumes, but unless you are going to play out somewhere, I would look for another amp to fill the home needs.

17. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

These amps are not designed for low volume bedroom playing but do not sound bad at lower volumes. Its forte is being cranked and it does not have to be ear shattering volume either.

As far as bad cleans from the Ecstasy, thats total nonsense UNLESS your playing the clean channel at ear shattering volumes. People who rag on the clean channel did not take the time to turn the knobs to the right positions and unlike a Mesa, it does not take forever to dial in.

18. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I had an Ecstasy and loved everything about it except for the fact that it was huge and not exactly plug and play.

Excellent sounds at bedroom volumes, just fine for practicing at home. And when you get to turn it up, look out. Much different sounding when cranked than when at bedroom volumes, but extremely usable nonetheless.

You'd be hard pressed to find an amp that does as much as the Ecstasy and sounds as sweet. To me, it is not such a high-gain monster as it is a bunch of vintage amps (from tweed to Marshall plexi) all rolled into one, with a ton of options and as much gain as you'd want. One amp I seriously miss, that and my old Shiva.

19. George Adelson

George Adelson Member

I had one (101 B with EL34s and 4X12 cab) that I had in my rehearsal studio (Downtown Studios in San Francisco). The building was sold to a dot com company so I had to take it home. It was nice at low volumes, but only being able to use it in my apartment was like having a Ferrari you could only drive around the block. So I flipped it for a CAE OD-50. Overall, a really nice amp though.

20. Erik

Erik Member

+1. BrentSP showed a quick and easy way to dial in beautiful cleans on the amp. I was shocked at the difference it made.