Bogner xtc 101b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by quakana, Mar 24, 2008.

1. quakana

quakana Member

who has one or has had one? How are they? any comments good or bad are appreciated. I have one in my radar but have never played one. I currently have a Marshall JVM and love it but am looking for another head

2. Lution

Lution Member

3. SvenHock

SvenHock Member

I'll second that. You'll find plenty of threads here concerning the Ecstasy.

4. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I gigged one for the last 6 months of my band days.

Clean Channel: hmmm, depends. It can sound "good" as far as the EQ goes, you can get whatever you like as far as tight or loose bottom, lots of variability as to the shape of the tone. However, when you compare it to a clean from an amp from BadCat, Star Amps, /13, etc.... The XTC lacks the hard to define "swirl" or "aliveness" that those amps cleans have. For some reason these class A type vintage-style construction amps just take the clean tones to a whole new level. Also, it is hard to get a good edge-of-breakup sound in small or even medium gigs due to its high wattage and large headroom. DISCLAIMER my XTC was Class A/B only.....maybe with class A, like these smaller boutique amps, it has that 'aliveness' and can drop the wattage low enough to get some dirt at gig volumes.

Overall I'd say that the clean channel was good enough for live playing but it felt flat without some kind of effects to liven it up.

All Dirt Channels: Great! Top notch tone in every respect, tons of tone shaping potential to get whatever you want. Plexi Channel does have to be really cranked LOUD to get the goods though. Perhaps in Class A, Half Power, Triode mode you can get some goodness out of the channel at reasonable volumes....but the plexi channel really shines at full power, in pentode mode.....at least 60 watts if you are in Class A....soo, it will be quite loud still.

Overall I think it would smoke a JVM. If I was still in a band and gigging, I would still have my XTC. It couldn't be beat for cover band material in the realm of 70s-90s hard rock, alternative, 'fun' metal.

For home use I really have enjoyed my BadCat and....just got it today...my GainStar. I was gonna say that they can't get the variety....but I'm gonna take that back, because with an A/B/Y switch I would now have 4 switchable channels of amp that I bet could contend with the variety of the XTC given their highly interactive controls.....

But unless you want to shell out for a big multi-amp rig, the XTC is hard to beat for modeling-amp variety with boutique quality tone in a single unit.

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

I had a xtc and looking back at all the amps ive owned I have to say its one of my favorites.

6. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

I owned a 101B for just over a year, and played it live for about 8 months. Easily the most versatile amplifier that i've played through! If you want a LOT of different tones available to you without having to run 2 or 3 seperate amps, it's definately the way to go.

In the end it was just too much amp for me. Far too many settings that i never really had time to explore. If i was playing in a covers band, or any heavier rock band, i'd go running straight back and buy one all over again.