• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bogner XTC issue (and personal revelation)

acwild

I just bought a used XTC 101B last week from GC and took it out for a gig yesterday. Right as I was going from a clean to dirty channel, the amp wouldn't switch channels. Apparently there's an issue with channel switching and during a gig isn't the most ideal time to find that out. :) This isn't a new thing for my band as I have a track record of accidentally hitting mute during crucial guitar moments.

After trying to fix the issue, I did get to go to Channel Two and did the rest of the gig using picking dynamics and my volume knob. While I was always aware that this is the way people have been doing it, I've never done it to this degree. I gotta say that it really worked out well. This isn't saying that I have the confidence to go to a single channel amp but I do feel that my eyes have been opened up to a whole way of playing. While I have used my guitar volume knob to control gain, I never used it from clean to full on dirty in a snap.

Now to figure out why my channels won't switch. Sometimes when I turn it on, Channel Two stays lit like it's on while I'm on Channel One or Three. Other times, no channels are lit up on the foot controller. I guess I gotta return the amp for repairs.

acwild

Call Charlie at Bogner. Sorry to hear of the problems, usually the Ecstasy is very reliable.
I just got it this week so GC is taking it back for repairs. It's used so who knows what it's been through. Thanks though, I'll have to look up Bogner customer service for future reference.

Does it switch channels without the foot switch ? If so, you may have a bad led in the foot switch.
This happened to me ,installed a new led and fixed .
The channel switching problems were random. Sometimes the foot switch would have all leds blank out, sometimes it would engage channels 2 and 3 but not 1, etc... Channel 1 seems to have had the most problems. Also, upon turning the amp on, the amp leds would show that Channel 1 and 2 are on at the same time. Other times it would have Channel 3 and 2 on with both instances Channel 2 not actually being on.

I suppose it could be a switch but the instances of two channels indicating on makes me suspect something else, but I'm no amp guru.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
This is one of those amps that I would absolutely love to own. A friend of mine has one and I borrow it regularly as he never uses it....but do you think he would sell it to me? Pffft. I've had it at my house for more than a year and a half and I keep asking him when he wants it back and he simply says "it's better that it is being used then sitting here asleep". I'm hoping that at some point in the next year he says, give me $$$ and just take it. He had a problem on his with the same issue on the footswitch. Bogner took care of it in under a week and that was after 3 years. I believe it was the LED issue as well but I'm not sure if it was that or a bad solder joint in the footswitch. Whatever it was, I sent the whole amp to them but they said they fixed it in the footswitch. They were nice enough to change all of the tubes and re-bias as well. Very cool folks to deal with! Some day I will own one but at this point, I can use it whenever I want so no worries.

Last edited:

acwild

That's good to hear! This amp is one that I've been lusting after for over ten years. you always hear about amps delivering " the sound in your head." Well the XTC has redefined the sound in my head.

Hopefully it's something as simple as the foot switch. I'd love to get the amp back ASAP. The only problem is that once a piece of gear fails on me, I takes a very long time for me to trust it again.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I bet it's the glittering. I could easily do a whole show on my Shiva dirty channel or my others as well. Like the Ecstasy they are dynamic enough to. A lot of amps can't.

acwild

I bet it's the glittering. I could easily do a whole show on my Shiva dirty channel or my others as well. Like the Ecstasy they are dynamic enough to. A lot of amps can't.
Glittering?
Yes, very dynamic. I'm just not deft enough with my volume knob to do quick clean/dirty transitions, even with picking dynamics. It's something that I'll have to work on.

lkft

I have a 20th 101b and am waiting to get it back from the tech since it developed a popping sound on the clean channel. Tech says it was a bad cap so it's getting replaced. That said the guys at Bogner are top notch. The Bogner sound is so nice, very musical. Also have a Shiva and it's really nice as well. Never had a single prob out of the Shiva and it's a 2004 model! The footswitch connector for the XTC is somewhat sketchy so this could be a good time to look into upgrading it with another, more robust connector.

acwild

I have a 20th 101b and am waiting to get it back from the tech since it developed a popping sound on the clean channel. Tech says it was a bad cap so it's getting replaced. That said the guys at Bogner are top notch. The Bogner sound is so nice, very musical. Also have a Shiva and it's really nice as well. Never had a single prob out of the Shiva and it's a 2004 model! The footswitch connector for the XTC is somewhat sketchy so this could be a good time to look into upgrading it with another, more robust connector.
Any suggestions? I have an RJM Mini Amp Gizmo and an All Access but I think that's gonna be overkill. Are issues with the XTC footswitch controllers common?
I had a 20th Shiva and miss it's cleans. That amp is so much simpler than the XTC.

BADHAK

The best thing (besides practice )i did for my tone was get single channel amps (79 and 80 jmp 2203's )and....
Turn the amp up,turn the guitar down.

acwild

The best thing (besides practice )i did for my tone was get single channel amps (79 and 80 jmp 2203's )and....
Turn the amp up,turn the guitar down.
I did own a Plexi but I cheated and used pedals. You are right though. My setup keeps getting simplified to minimize any gear failures/malfunctions but I haven't given channel-switching failures much thought (even though it's happened to me before).

lkft

I have no suggestions for the connector unfortunately but I have heard of ppl who have changed it out and liked the results well enough to recommend it to others. If I come across the info I'll let you know. Other than the complexities of an amp such as the XTC which can be a PITA the versatility you get get far outweighs the cons IMO. For example I could never even dream of practicing with a plexi at home, the wife would have a hissyfit. What I love about the Bogner is it's freakin' excellent MV! I can get the tones I need at any volume without losing any dynamics, the best MV amp I've ever had! I suggest you take your time and get to know the amp and what it can do. There will be a pretty steep learning curve but you'll be rewarded.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
The other day I was jamming with a drummer and bassist. My Shiva blew a fuse, so the bassist let me borrow his 68 Fender Bassman to finish the session.
I went out the next day and bought a 69 Bassman from GC.
For me, there is nothing better than using a nmv amp with some breakup and a couple of pedals.
I can go from clean with my guitar volume rolled back, to bluesy, to crunch, to full on rocking dirt for heavier rhythms and leads.
The clarity and responsiveness of a nmv cranked is quite a bit better than with most master volume amps, imo.
The Bassman is a bargain at $400-600. Just really loud. That is where master volume amps comes in handy, dialing down the volume.
Given a choice, a place where I can crank it, I'll take a pushed nmv every time.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
There
The other day I was jamming with a drummer and bassist. My Shiva blew a fuse, so the bassist let me borrow his 68 Fender Bassman to finish the session.
I went out the next day and bought a 69 Bassman from GC.
For me, there is nothing better than using a nmv amp with some breakup and a couple of pedals.
I can go from clean with my guitar volume rolled back, to bluesy, to crunch, to full on rocking dirt for heavier rhythms and leads.
The clarity and responsiveness of a nmv cranked is quite a bit better than with most master volume amps, imo.
The Bassman is a bargain at $400-600. Just really loud. That is where master volume amps comes in handy, dialing down the volume.
Given a choice, a place where I can crank it, I'll take a pushed nmv every time.
That's the issue is that it's so rare when I have somewhere I can play that let's me use an amp like that. Luckily for me all three of my amps have great touch sensitivity (especially the Sig X) so I don't ever miss it. I would agree though a good NMV amp on ten is about as good as it gets.

acwild

I have no suggestions for the connector unfortunately but I have heard of ppl who have changed it out and liked the results well enough to recommend it to others. If I come across the info I'll let you know. Other than the complexities of an amp such as the XTC which can be a PITA the versatility you get get far outweighs the cons IMO. For example I could never even dream of practicing with a plexi at home, the wife would have a hissyfit. What I love about the Bogner is it's freakin' excellent MV! I can get the tones I need at any volume without losing any dynamics, the best MV amp I've ever had! I suggest you take your time and get to know the amp and what it can do. There will be a pretty steep learning curve but you'll be rewarded.
Thanks! No worries, I'll do some searching.
I had a Mark V so relatively speaking, the XTC seems simpler. :) What I've dialed in so far sounds fantastic so I have no doubt that more time with this amp will just get better.
No more non-MV amps for me. The last one that I had was a 36 watt Marshall clone. I figured that it would be more reasonable than my
Plexi. Wrong! It literally scared the crap out of my dog who was upstairs. My band has played an outdoor festival and didn't need that amount of volume. I have to admit that the sound was nothing short of glorious though.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
There

That's the issue is that it's so rare when I have somewhere I can play that let's me use an amp like that. Luckily for me all three of my amps have great touch sensitivity (especially the Sig X) so I don't ever miss it. I would agree though a good NMV amp on ten is about as good as it gets.
Yep. Too loud! I'm going to check out the Fryette Power Station. Maybe that's the answer.

The Siggy is a great mv amp for two reasons, imo. It offers modern dirt tones that I've never heard without a master volume. Love how heavy it can get. You want metal? Gotta have a mv.
Also, the Sig and a few other mv amps retain great dynamics, an open feel and punch much like nmv amps when turned up.
I'd say that's where an XTC shines and eclipses the Shiva. The XTC sounds congested, covered up, closed off at low volumes. Sounds glorious at band levels and responds more like a great plexi-ish amp. The Shiva is it's own thing, sounds pretty good at lower volumes, better with the power tubes working, but is more consistent across the volume spectrum.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
Yep. Too loud! I'm going to check out the Fryette Power Station. Maybe that's the answer.

The Siggy is a great mv amp for two reasons, imo. It offers modern dirt tones that I've never heard without a master volume. Love how heavy it can get. You want metal? Gotta have a mv.
Also, the Sig and a few other mv amps retain great dynamics, an open feel and punch much like nmv amps when turned up.
I'd say that's where an XTC shines and eclipses the Shiva. The XTC sounds congested, covered up, closed off at low volumes. Sounds glorious at band levels and responds more like a great plexi-ish amp. The Shiva is it's own thing, sounds pretty good at lower volumes, better with the power tubes working, but is more consistent across the volume spectrum.
I've never had a chance to crank up an XTC but I don't doubt you at all. My 20th Shiva sounds ridiculously good cranked and quiet so I have no complaints at ll. If I ever did get an XTC it would have to be the 20th or a 101A I just can't seem to get along with el34's no matter what amp it is.

Trending Topics