Bogner XTC vs. 5150 for Heavy drop tuned metal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by destro718, Sep 14, 2008.

1. destro718

destro718 Member

I know the Bogner XTC is a very well respected amp and the price to quality ratio on the 5150 is incredible.

I play a 7 strings and mostly play chug style chunky rhythmic stuff.

Which amp do you all think would be better?

BTW I have a Bogner Uberkab and I've tried a 5150 1 through it and was amazed at the silky smooth gain this thing had compared to my rectifier.
    The low and was tight and there was no struggling to get a good smooth heavy sound.

How does the XTC compare?? I may have an opportunity to get a good one used but I havent played it yet.

Thanks!

2. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Personally, I love my Ecstasy 101B, but for 7-strings and drop tuning, I'd go with the 5150 or 5150+, especially with an Uberkab. Those amps have all the clear high end and huge low end for lower tunings, plus I've always felt they have a more natural sound than Recto's. Less pedal-sounding and more "tubes blowing up" vibe.
    For me the Ecstasy is best for non-metal rock. The Marshall vibe of the blue channel is almost worth the price of the amp by itself. Try recording a track with the super heavy sound and double it with the lower gain of a plexi-style amp. HUGE!

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

My Universe sounds great with my Ecstasy 101b, but for pure chugga-chugga, I would probably go with the 5150.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  4. destro718

destro718 Member

Thanks for the info! I would ideally love to have both amps as they both have a great sound but for my heavy band It seems the 5150 is the way to go. I'm hearing "super marshall" about the xtc all over the place and that's not exactly what I'm going for this band. But that is great thanks!

5. destro718

destro718 Member

I think it i was playing lead style shred stuff the xtc would be great. But the heavyness is what i'm after!

Thanks for the info guys. Good to hear coming from an owner too!

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Why not the Ubershcall (spelling?) by bogner?

7. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I would skip both and get an Uberschall.

I have both the 101B and 5150 and while both are fine amps, the Uber KILLS for this type of music especially with the Uber Kab.

Matt

8. destro718

destro718 Member

I considered that too! Someone is selling an XTC that i know and I can get a good deal on it. I'm putting that one in my pool of options as well as I do have the cab for it and Its a good price used.

9. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

There are some great drop D clips on youtube by "treetopper", one of the Uber. Sounds fantastic IMHO.

10. DamianL

DamianL Member

Uberschall is the boss for this.

So there.

D

11. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Uberschalls are great, but they are really dark (especially the earlier revisions) and I didn't like the way they sat in a live mix (the Revision Blues are brighter and address this somewhat).

You think Rectifiers are dark play through an Uberschall, then a Recto will seem like a bright amp, lol :)

A 5150 II has a brighter cut/crunch and you will be heard in a mix, it's not as dark/saggy as the Uber. This darkness issue is compounded if you are in a band with more than one guitar player.

I would really try an Uber first to see if you will like it in the mix first, or buy a used one so you can sell it and not lose alot of $$ on it doesn't work out for you :).

I would personally take an XTC and just put an EQ in the loop over an Uberschall if I had to use a Bogner in a heavy band.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  12. matte

matte Senior Member

for your stated purposes? uberschall or vht sig x(channel 2).

13. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Get a PV 6505+ (aka 5150 II) much better for your needs.

The Uber would be my second pick, but most definitely play one first as it has a very dark, and saturated tone which many do not like for heavy downtuning. Don't even try doing it with any XTC as they are too spongy and loose... although you'll get many guys here that say they can play metal on their Vox AC-30 and Fender Twins. :D And by "metal" they mean Journey and Aerosmith. :D

14. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Journey isnt Metal \m/?

15. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

The Uberschall is a good shout, but as stated, it's pretty dark.

If the XTC you have a lead on is one of the newer ones, you could consider that and an EQ as Melodyman suggested.

I know I recommended the 5150 up there, but, it should get you closer to what you want with the EQ, and do a whole lot more besides. (Plexi mode, that Blue channel, the signature Red channel leads, etc...)

16. Julia343

Julia343 Member

For teh money? Get a 6505+, a 412 cab with V-30s (like a Marshall 1960 or Mesa or Orange or Avatar Contemporary), an attenuator of some sort and you're good to go.

If you've got some money to burn go for the Soldano Avenger.

If you've got more money to burn go for the Orange Thunderverb.

If you've got even more money to burn go for the SLO.

17. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

By today's standards... not even close. :messedup

I love when I read some of the posts here when a person goes on and on about their new [insert $5,000+ clean tube amp here] and they will state with all the conviction and vehemence in the world that said amp will even deliver the most crushing, heavy tones... such as Journey, Aerosmith... and dare I even say, the heaviest of all... AC/DC!!!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

People need to get the right tool for the job. BTW I'd wouldn't recommend a SLO either... great amp for hard rock or '80s metal... but the bottom end is not going to work for today's heavy downtuned riffs, and the added bass and gain that's needed.

18. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Crap! I forgot to put the Mesa Dual & Triple Rectifiers, Engl Powerballs, in there.

The Thunderverb is my latest GAS I'll never get. lol.

Metal = Cannibal Corpse, In Flames, CoB, Wintersun, Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility, etc.,

Aerosmith != metal, but is fun to play.

but 80's metal is still fun to play especially with a little extra boost from more modern amps. But for drop tunings like Drop C (Rammstein), Drop Bb, and Drop A (here I think you'll need some EV Zakk Wyldes or a 15" bass cab) you'll not only need the amp you'll need the speakers that can handle it.

19. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Member

i can play metal on a vox and by metal i mean mercyful fate...

my vote is for an uberschall.
    5150s are great sounding... so long as you get it modified so it doesnt sound like a 100 lbs metal zone pedal.

20. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Funny, when the Uberschall first came out I remember reading similar comments about it (Metalzone pedal stuffed in it, etc.). :)