Bogner XTC vs. H&K Triamp vs. Splawn Quickrod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Weasel, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Weasel

Weasel Member

Any opinions as to which is better?

2. johnnybrulez

johnnybrulez Member

I tried out the HandK and the Quickrod. Wish I could've tried the Bogner. I like the HandK based on the fact that it can get that nasty nasty distortion but its cleans are INCREDIBLE.

The Splawn has a great distortion sound but I thought it was a bit mediocre in terms of a chimey clean sound. For me and my style I need the two extremes.

Splawn's price could be a deal breaker though. Triamps are MAD expensive. I like their look more too. More.. flamboyant. :)

3. waylay00

waylay00 Member

They're all a little a different, but having tried the XTC and the Quickrod, I'd go with the Quickrod.

The XTC is nice, but it's a little too dark for my tastes, and the price tag is a little lofty for what you get in my opinion. Nice amp, nonetheless, just not worth it (IMO).

The Quickrod has absolutely the BEST hard rock/Marshall style crunch I've ever heard. The cleans on the newer version are actually really good. I was expected to be disappointed, but I was very impressed by them. And as johnny pointed, the price cannot be beat. However, it is expected that Scott will be raising his price on the QR soon, so I'd get one ASAP! Also, make sure you select the right speakers. In my personal experience, the QR doesn't take too kindly to Vintage 30s. It really likes the Eminence Governors and Man-O-Wars (in X-pattern) or Splawn's new Eminence-made Big Block/Small Blocks.

In summation, the Quickrod is perfect for any hard rock/heavy blues situation. It excels for what I do (everything from Robin Trower, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Trapeze, Hendrix, Iron Maiden, UFO Satriani, Alice in Chains, etc...)

If you want a Quickrod, I'd suggest ordering from either James Burke at Blues City Music or Josh Sage at Rebel Amps. Both are EXTREMELY nice guys and will get you what you need.

Hope this helps!

4. Sam801

Sam801 Member

I used to have a Splawn ProMod100 which is the same preamp as the QuickRod100 but with KT88's. I've also owned an MK1 Triamp. And played a few XTC's from time to time.

The Splawn is definately the least flexible. But probably best at what it does. Amazing. And I do miss it.

The XTC wins in the "all around" department IMO. Just a dreamy amp full of awesome sounds.

The Triamp is flexible and full of features. but only 3 of the 6 channels cut it for me. Which is still plenty of amp for me.

5. jcj

jcj Member

I have the QR and the Ecstasy. I agree with the Ecstasy for overall versatility, fantastic amp.

However, I'll be completely honest.....the QR absolutely SMOKES for the hot rodded Marshall sound. Sounds waaaaay better than many amps I've owned that cost a LOT more. The QR has got to be one of the best "bang for you buck" amps out there. I got mine for $1200 used, and feel like I stole it.

6. se7en

se7en Senior Member

I have an XTC and an SLO. To me the SLO is the ultimate hot-rodded Marshall. Killer distortion and a nice clean channel (if you like your clean slightly broken up)...the crunch channel is very plexi-ish. The XTC is not like a typical Marshall...much more low mids and a warmer, more organic, woody tone. I don't really care for the Quickrod's distortion, but a lot of people seem to like them. I've heard they are stiff too, but I suppose it all depends on your definition of it.

7. gearboy

gearboy Member

I own a Triamp, owned a QR, and played an XTC at length. Asking which is better is just too broad and pointless a question especially when you didn't describe what kind of music you play. However, out of these three...My opinion:
    Best Clean - Kettner
    Best Light Crunch - Kettner, XTC close second
    Best Mid gain - XTC, Kettner second
    Best Lead Tone - XTC, QR close second
    Best Modded Marshall - QR
    Best 80's Metal - QR
    Best High Gain for drop Tuning - Kettner
    Best for user friendliness - Kettner
    Best Bang for the Buck - QR
    Best for Status - XTC
    Best pedal friendly - XTC
    Best quality - 3-way tie

....m2c...

8. Dropped_2_C

Dropped_2_C Member

great comparison thats how i feel about the XTC and the Triamp, I prefer the triamp a bit more only because of the revoiced AMP 2 which sounds a lot better than the MKI's did. I think the MKII can cop a very convincing hot modded marshall tone just like the QR can

9. gearboy

gearboy Member

My only complaint with Amp 2 (IMO), is both channels are too different. I find my self EQ'ing for one or the other.....once you dial in say, 2A, 2B sounds like crap and vice versa. Right now, I have 2B dialed and don't use 2A. And with 2B getting kicked in front with a boost, it's totally modded Marshall heaven....

10. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I've only got experience with the Splawns, I wasn't impressed.
    Although I'm slowly discovering I like dark amps and bright guitars.. so I guess the voice of the Splawn wasn't for me.. way too brittle.

11. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Well, like any Marshall-voiced amp, you obviously have to crank it to lose the "stiffness."

12. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

I loved my XTC. Great giggin amp. never played the others, but unless you are very, very picky, the XTC can probably meet any sound in your head quite well.

13. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    I agree, the QR really needs to be cranked to give up the goods. Once it is though it's Hot Rodded Marshall Bliss!