Bogner XTC without the blanket effect part II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by achilles5756, Jan 16, 2015.

1. achilles5756

achilles5756 Member

Hey guys, I recently found some settings that make the XTC more JCM 800 like. My XTC is a Classic and I have a 4x12 with GB & H30's so your results may vary etc.

Blue or Red ch in any mode with gain not higher than about 1-2 o'clock .
    Bass 0
    Mids 0
    Treble 1-2:30 o'clock (This is the only setting on the treble that is useful)
    Pres 2-2:30 o"clock
    Structure on high (tight)
    Old mode

When the gain is higher than about 1 or 2 O'clock that amp gets much thicker therby losing the stock Marshall quality .
    If this setting sounds a bit strident, try moving the structure switch to med or low for more bottom increase mids to 9 o"clock.

To me these settings give a much hairier tone that is more in your face.
    If someone has a Classic and an Helios or 20th XTC please comment how the tone from these settings compares to the tone of those amps.

In the previous thread I started, the settings yielded a smooth woody fat tone while these settings give you the opposite tone.

Hope you guys have fun tweaking.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

I liked your suggested settings in the other thread. Suggest you combine into one overall Recommended settings thread so none are missed. Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers,

CF

3. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

Okay.....can I really say "suggest(ed)" any more times??

4. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

lol, better than 'recommendations'

5. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I had a 101b years back and I found that the amp sounded much better with Greenbacks than V30's. Not sure what speakers you're using, but it might be worth some time messing around with different cabs.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

How do you assign the presence to channels 2 and 3?

7. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

I find the 101B is very "Marshally" when the gain for the blue and red channels is around 10/11 o'clock and you are on either B1 or B2. Presence around 1 or 2 o'clock. There is still plenty of gain and the EQ/Presence/Bright switches all have much more effect.

8. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I played my 101b against my 1959 the other day. The difference seems to be in the midrange. I can get the 101b to sound bassier and more trebly but the midrange seems to be voiced a little higher than the marshall, even in plexi mode.

I've wondered about vintage 30's with this amp. That is what it's designed to go with. It's would add a little upper end bark. I'm generally not a fan of them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  9. rdodson

rdodson Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm a Greenback fan - especially really good ones (like Scumback, ASW). I have SB M75s in a Bogner 2x12 and it sounds great.