Bohemian Rhapsody and Live Aid

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I finally got around to watching BR. It's an entertaining movie. I know it's not historically accurate, which is strange but its still interesting. So right after watching the movie I watched Queen's Live Aid show. Its unbelievable how well they captured the Live Aid performance in the movie. It was a joy reliving the performance as I was barely a teenager at the time. Freddie really did steal the show. Amazing stuff from one of the best frontman of all time.

T Dizz, Drawde, TubeStack and 10 others like this.
  2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I love Queen, Freddie and the movie was quite enjoyable. But I guess my opinion of that perfromance doesn't jive with eveyone else. I remember it fondly, it makes for a good movie plot line, but I think it was just okay as far as a Queen performance.

I think this is much better.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'm not really a Queen fan, but in my eyes he's the best of all time. No doubt.

Thwap, Mngwa, m.e. and 4 others like this.
  4. shane8

shane8 Member

there's so many docos on queen & live footage so I don't see the point of watching this movie

rather watch the real thing

it's making a killing @ the BO tho

& King Freddie did steal the show @ live aid ….. the greatest frontman ever

tenchijin2 and PLX like this.
  5. Brian D

Brian D Member

I'm not able to find/link the source at the moment, but on the way home from work tonight (on my car radio) there was an interview with some form of "motion coach" that worked on that movie. They said that they were asked to help the actors recreate that entire performance as closely as possible.

I think the interview originated from the BBC, but I'm not sure. I heard it on my local MPR/NPR radio station.

massacre likes this.
  6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I thought the same thing (lived it, seen it, been there, why a movie) but, I enjoyed the movie anyway. It was good fun.

I like your perspective and I hadn't thought of it. With respect to the OP I see that instead of comparing it to other Queen performances it is valuable to compare it to other performances per that event. In that sense yea, they (HE) stold the show!

7. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Was 25 yo and watched the entire Live Aid broadcast that day. A few things remain seared into my brain nearly 35 years later.

3. The US show was a big letdown after the UK show. I score Wembley a 9.5 and JFK a 5.

2. After Queen, it was U2, The Who, and David Bowie all tied at #2 - by a big margin.

1. Queen KILLED it and Freddie was a GOD that day for 20 minutes. Dude had all 86,000 there going absolutely batsh*t crazy and loving every second of it.

Best set I've ever seen. Ever.

8. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

Watched BR last night. Rami was amazing, whoever did the casting is even better and it was an ok movie.

Best frontman ever. RIP Freddie.

FenderBigot likes this.
  9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

The night my 15 y/o and I saw it I said the same thing to her as we walked out... dragged her home and made her watch the real deal. It was scary how close Brian and Rog made them recreate the event.

I remember being 17/18 and watching it live... it was awesome reliving that in the theater. I had a goofy smile going in that theater.

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  10. Phrygiandom

Phrygiandom Member

Freddie was the GOAT, no doubt.

I was in the Navy, and pierside in some Turkish port, when we heard of Freddie's passing. That news hit me particularly hard....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    murraythek, FenderBigot and shane8 like this.
  11. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

My HS band director was a big influence on a group of us music weirdos. I hung with his kids in this huge house and we played god-awful "music" and played street hockey in the barn. We were MUCH better at street hockey.

He walked in one night and said, "I'd be impressed if you listened to this music..." and he put A Night at the Opera on the turntable. We were all amazed. Cool music that was everything jammed into 3 - 6 minute songs. We all (including Mr E) went to Hartford in 1980 for The Game tour. Amazing night.

12. drewl

drewl Member

What?
    JFK was f-ing great!
    Had a killer time!

Bazaboy33 likes this.
  13. FenderTone

FenderTone Gold Supporting Member

The best live rock performance of all time.

prototype likes this.
  14. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Some people think U2 was the thing that day. But watching Freddie he might as well have said to U2 “Watch and see how rock gets done, youngsters!”

15. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

All I remember about Live Aid was waiting for Robert Plant and Jimmy Page.

16. macula56

macula56 Member

Live from the Rainbow beats them all for me as I really love early Queen the most.

tenchijin2 likes this.
  17. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

I caught part of the same interview. Here are highlights: https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/6698...how-rami-malek-came-to-embody-freddie-mercury

Brian D likes this.
  18. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I was at the release party for the Blu-Ray and they said they actually did the whole 20 minute Live Aid performance straight through in one take. They wanted to have it look fresh and doing countless retakes would have made it less real. The whole thing is on the disc too. They showed us the footage of Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

19. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Recreated down to the green tape on Freddie's mic and his glasses of beer.

20. shane8

shane8 Member

indeed …. bono's excursion wasn't properly thought thru

it wasn't a queen gig ….. they were just on the bill ……. but Freddie had the whole stadium eating out of his hand

no one came remotely close to queen that day