• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bon Iver, Devendra Banhart & Beirut- any fans?

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone a fan of these bands/artists?

If so, maybe list some other bands/artists that are similar.

Here's one of my favourite Bon Iver videos from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Swa9CYgRk&feature=related
I like/liked Davendra Banhart, but I that was like 2 or 3 albums ago. I really like Joanna Newsom. She sort of fits in with the whole "Freak Folk" thing Banhart has going on. She's a acquired taste to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYl0uLrXP7U

aram

i just started listening to the bon iver album this past week. it's beautiful.

as is beirut.

have to check out Davendra.

Stubacca

Hey Marko!

Have you listened to Ray LaMontagne? Really good stuff... check it out.... now!

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
The Bon Iver album is flat out amazing.

I've never heard the other artists. Are they along the same sound?

MusicMan7

I'm a big fan of Bon Iver, espicially like the song Skinny Love. I haven't heard the other two, I'll have to check them out.

hangten

Gold Supporting Member
I like Beirut - saw them play in Chicago - lots of fun!

Liked the first thing of two devendra did, but saw him play summer 07 - -I thought his songs and band were not very good at all. a big let-down.

however, he was followed by Steve Malkmus who ROCKED - he is a great player with a great ear - interesting songs - great band - lots of cool jams...

YMMV , but I would check out Malk.

tonefordays

Bon Iver can deliver a line like no one I've heard. So emotionally powerful. Blood Bank is an amazing song, and his first EP just floors me. I'm actually covering a couple songs of his at an acoustic gig next weekend.

notpetrucci

City and Colour was my into to this kind of music. Really great stuff.

It's kind of a hipster trend these days. That gets bothersome but I'll take what good music I can get. Kids can't get enough of the Avett Brothers but if you say Doc Watson or Earl Scruggs they look at you like you're speaking Antarctican.

Either way, I love it.

Don't discount the chicks, either. People like Des Ark and Cat Power are doing amazing things with unique voices and old guitars. Emilie Simon is still my favorite.

It's an interesting trend.

We'll see where it goes.

-Jon

Prairie Belt

Vetiver falls in there too. I think they've done some recording with Banhart. Nice stuff.

The Bon Iver guy was in a band called DeYarmond Edison before he went solo. The rest of that band now play as a three piece called Megafaun.

king-albert

Beirut are tops for me. A couple of their songs just kill me.
Bon Iver is very good. New EP is so-so. "For Emma..." is great.
Check out Cotton Jones.

Trending Topics