Bon Iver

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Telebluze, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

What's the best 1 or 2 records to start with?

Thx,
    Ken

2. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

"For Emma, Forever Ago," the Blood Bank EP and his most recent self-titled. Pretty much all of it. You might also check out Gayngs, which is more of a collaboration thing and not much like Bon Iver, but he is part of that collective.

Congratulations to Justin Vernon for winning a Grammy, and congratulations to his label, Jagjaguwar. It was so surreal to see someone from Jagjaguwar win a Grammy. They have lots of wonderful talent.

3. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

best new artist? hasn't bon iver been around for 4 or 5 years now?

4. melven62

melven62 Member

Glad to see him win.

5. Telebluze

6. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

They do this all the time. I think the lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish got a best new artist nomination a few years ago, you know, 15 years after Hootie and the Blowfish won the same award.

7. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Christopher Cross.

8. Telebluze

What the heck are you guys talking about........:huh

This is a thread asking for recommendations on where to start in Bon Iver's recorded catalog.....

I could care less about who got nominated for what on the Grammy's!!

Are you just now realizing that the Grammy's are a joke?!?!?

It's nothing but scripted reality TV, you may as well be watching WWE!!!

Now, any other suggestions on a good place to start?

9. BedroomRockStar01

I was responding to another post in your thread. I didn't realize internet etiquette required me to respond to you and you alone. More interesting is the fact that you felt the need to start a thread asking for suggestions on where to start listening for a band that has a grand total of two studio albums. Perhaps you could, I don't know... start there, or maybe some live Youtube recordings. I bet if you looked really hard you could even find some sort of online encyclopedia listing all of their major works, and you could use that resource to locate a recording relevant to your inquiry.

These are all things I would do before starting a thread asking for suggestions. Interestingly enough, you decry the Grammy Awards (can't argue with you about that one) and make a thread related to the best new artist winner, an award for what you call a scripted, joke reality show. The timing of this post and you're declared distaste for the award show is curious to say the least.

10. Telebluze

This is classic, a guy getting pissed at someone b/c HE derailed a thread :rotflmao

For future reference......it's called "derailing a thread"

I'm so happy you shared with all of us the way YOU would do things before going to all the time and trouble of starting a thread on a "discussion" forum.....

This is "The Sound Lounge" a forum for the "discussion of anything related to music".....when and where I start a thread is for me to decide......THIS IS AN INTERNET DISCUSSION BOARD!!

If you don't have anything useful to add to this particular discussion / thread topic......move along.

As far as researching the interwebz.....I find the suggestions and opinions (well most of them) of my TGP brother and sisters to be very helpful and usually spot-on.

Saves me time, and is one of my preferred ways to gather info on topics such as this......thanks for all of your help.

11. smokey

smokey Member

Under the name Bon Iver he only has 2 LP's. For Emma and the self titled one from last year. Plus the Blood Bank EP. It's all good stuff, but For Emma is one of my all time favorite records.

12. Ultron

Ultron Member

Would it have killed the guy to rent a tux? Really? a suit from Salvation Army?

13. BedroomRockStar01

Careful, this isn't on point to the original topic of the thread...

:sarcasm

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yes, please don't be the first person to derail a thread......:sarcasm

15. BedroomRockStar01

Yes, this is a discussion board. A previous contributor raised the point that Bon Iver is not a new artist. I responded. Hence, we discussed.

You proceeded to rail against me and at least one other poster for commenting on his statement, and then went off on a tangent about your dislike of the Grammy Awards in the same thread in which you ask for listening suggestions for an artist you likely just discovered through those awards. That made me chuckle, but if you feel like you're earning cool-music-guy cred for dissing the Grammy Awards, have at it.

All you had to do was ignore what you considered to be irrelevant responses, and that would've been the end of it. If anyone "derailed" your thread, it was you. More than that, I turned around and gave you some suggestions on where to go for finding some Bon Iver tunes in my second post, which should have put your moronic thread right back on track. Hell, the band is a whopping 4-5 years old tops. They have very few recordings. It's not that hard to figure out what to listen to. If this was your first discovery of Bob Dylan or the Stones or anyone with more than a handful of songs, I'd understand asking for advice. You do not need advice to find Bon Iver recordings.

My mistake. Looks like we've decided to stay off topic. lol And yes, Ultron, I agree. :D But the man wrote "Perth," so I'm going to give him a break (love that song).

16. Telebluze

Classic......now where are you from again??

17. BedroomRockStar01

I'm from Arkansas. I see that you're from Louisiana. Where are we going with this?

18. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Anyone who digs the Bon Iver stuff might like the drummer's solo work.

S. Carey-

19. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Nerd Rage over Bon Iver? Whodathunkit? ;)

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member