• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Bonamassa Live From New York - Beacon Theatre DVD

vivamusica

I guess you don't have to like the player to like the sound.
I don't know how he is as person... I like the sound, the music and the (amazing) player. As person he seems a normal guy, maybe a nice guy. His family and friends knows better but ------ I think it's not the point to us, listeners or musicians who enjoy his music.

BIGGERSTAFF

I keep saying that his arrogance really distracts from his tone.

But I own the Royal Albert bluray and still have every intention of buying this new one. :huh

I've never seen him say anything, that I would construe as arrogant. He seems pretty down to earth, and just a guy that loves music and good gear.

wharris

I've never seen him say anything, that I would construe as arrogant. He seems pretty down to earth, and just a guy that loves music and good gear.
+1. I have met him. He's a very approachable, down to earth guy. Not an ounce of arrogance. His stage persona is bigger and different than he is in person…I think he is just very comfortable letting the music do the talking.

CyberFerret

I keep saying that his arrogance really distracts from his tone.

But I own the Royal Albert bluray and still have every intention of buying this new one. :huh

You should try arranging to meet Joe before/after a gig and hanging out with him for a bit before making a character assessment of him. The fact that you mentioned 'arrogant' means that it is highly likely that you haven't actually had a conversation with the guy. :beer

I met him before one of his shows here. He took a lot of time to play and talk about my LP that I had with me. He even took us across the stage and discussed all his gear and showed us his guitars, including his '59 burst. Spent time talking about his pedal board and other non music related stuff.

Note that they had just played a show the night before, had to tear down and set up in a new city within less than 24 hours for their final show of a gruelling 3 months Asia Pacific tour.

You would expect someone in that situation to be terse or a little tired of it all, but Joe was gracious, kind and present for the whole 20 minutes or so that we chatted just after his soundcheck. :)

Last edited:

5E3

An hour of this concert is being shown on the Palladia HD music channel this weekend and into next week. That's Comcast channel 671 in my area. Check your local listings :)

mrbudwick

I recently bought this Beacon dvd as well as the Black Country Communion dvd, which I haven't watched yet. Decided to give Joe B another shot, having his older dvds from the early 2000's.

Overall I don't like it. I can't get past the vocals, the stage persona, etc. The best spots, for me, were the guests, in particular, Paul Rodgers. Band is great.

The coporate hair receeding banker look is off-putting to me. The guy looks like a complete douche, IMO. His playing, of course was great, but the tunes aren't there. I wonder how he has so many fans, but in this day and age, with the state of music sucking so hard, JB comes off as a hero. This guy would have been nothing in the 70's.

Seeing the camera shots of the Beacon Theater brought back great memories of shows I seen there- Rainbow, UFO, etc.

I'm hoping the BCC dvd is better. Hoping Joe shuts his mouth and lets Glenn Hughes sing everything.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
Hmm.....interesting perspective. I guess I am not as critical. I think his vocals have come a long way, I find his tone, technique, and style to be great (when he does tasteful lines and not a flurry of notes just to say "i can play fast".) But I will agree I enjoy him alot more when he is playing behind someone. He lays back more and doesnt feel the need to overplay and fill every second. I wasnt impressed with the BCC stuff......the vocals are incredible but the songs did nothing for me...... but thats just my take. I do love going to see him and would love to see him play along with more of his heroes like when he did Albert Hall. Would love to see him trading licks with Billy Gibbons, Derek Trucks etc...... and as Chris said, would be nice to see Paul Rogers front something with him!!

Matt L

It's a wonderfully produced DVD, and I enjoy Joe's guitar playing. I still don't love the songs. There's not one song that does anything for me. They're just kinda "there". One thing noticeable that bugs me about his arrangements and songwriting, is the bombastic dynamics changes that he seems to employ quite a bit. They get a little overblown when they're done in every other song.

My favorite stuff is what he did with Beth Hart. She's got an amazing voice, and she brings some sex appeal and true rock n' roll grit to his polished persona. It's a good pairing, as it can also relegate him to a lesser vocal role. I think that serves him well. I'd like to see him work with her more often.

vmjoe

Top notch performance imo. I'm baffled by some of the comments made here.

I'll first begin with his appearance. If certain detractors were to learn a little more by reading, they may discover his change in appearance, band members, venues, etc was not all his revelation. I read that when he began working with Kevin Shirley, Kevin asked Joe if he wanted to play to bar crowds of a few hundred or did he want to advance beyond. I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point. At any rate, this has much to do with the apparal, type of venues he now plays, larger audience, etc.

As for his voice. Joe is an extremely hard working guy that truly seems to love music and the art of making music. He has stated in print on several occasions that the guitar didn't come easy. He had to work very hard to achieve this level of expertise and like him or hate him, if a person denies his ability, they are truly haters in my mind. The man can play. Go see him and watch him play the acoustic guitar and then tell me his talent is limited, which finally leads me to his vocals. Listen to his first album and then put on Dust Bowl. I get that some don't like his voice. Fair enough, but to deny that he is a better vocalist now is not comprehensible to me. He worked just as hard on his vocals as he has the guitar. Whether you like his vocals now is personal preferance, but his range and control then doesn't compare to now. I also read that the man himself (Paul Rodgers) paid Joe a compliment on his vocals. Don't know about you, but that means more to Joe than having me trash his vocals on this forum.

I didn't want to get carried away, but I want to address one more comment. Someone stated that Joe would have been nothing in the '70s. On what planet? I'm a child of the '70s and I believe much of the best R&R ever written came from '67 through '79 or so. I assume that statement was made about written music as opposed to talent/technique. My heroes such as Page, Blackmore, Clapton, Hendrix, Kossoff, etc. were incredible and wrote music that people will listen to a few hundred years from now, but Joe and many contemporaries can hold their own and even surpass some of these musicians. I love Page (maybe my alltime favorite), but listen to a few bootlegs. Man could he get sloppy. His legacy will surely be his orchastration and studio work and I love Zeps live stuff, but it could be very unpolished at times.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't get the criticism of his abilities.

mrbudwick

Top notch performance imo. I'm baffled by some of the comments made here.

I'll first begin with his appearance. If certain detractors were to learn a little more by reading, they may discover his change in appearance, band members, venues, etc was not all his revelation. I read that when he began working with Kevin Shirley, Kevin asked Joe if he wanted to play to bar crowds of a few hundred or did he want to advance beyond. I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point. At any rate, this has much to do with the apparal, type of venues he now plays, larger audience, etc.

As for his voice. Joe is an extremely hard working guy that truly seems to love music and the art of making music. He has stated in print on several occasions that the guitar didn't come easy. He had to work very hard to achieve this level of expertise and like him or hate him, if a person denies his ability, they are truly haters in my mind. The man can play. Go see him and watch him play the acoustic guitar and then tell me his talent is limited, which finally leads me to his vocals. Listen to his first album and then put on Dust Bowl. I get that some don't like his voice. Fair enough, but to deny that he is a better vocalist now is not comprehensible to me. He worked just as hard on his vocals as he has the guitar. Whether you like his vocals now is personal preferance, but his range and control then doesn't compare to now. I also read that the man himself (Paul Rodgers) paid Joe a compliment on his vocals. Don't know about you, but that means more to Joe than having me trash his vocals on this forum.

I didn't want to get carried away, but I want to address one more comment. Someone stated that Joe would have been nothing in the '70s. On what planet? I'm a child of the '70s and I believe much of the best R&R ever written came from '67 through '79 or so. I assume that statement was made about written music as opposed to talent/technique. My heroes such as Page, Blackmore, Clapton, Hendrix, Kossoff, etc. were incredible and wrote music that people will listen to a few hundred years from now, but Joe and many contemporaries can hold their own and even surpass some of these musicians. I love Page (maybe my alltime favorite), but listen to a few bootlegs. Man could he get sloppy. His legacy will surely be his orchastration and studio work and I love Zeps live stuff, but it could be very unpolished at times.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don't get the criticism of his abilities.
A few points. Nobody said anything about his guitar playing, I didn't.
Vocals are a funny thing. People like and dislike what they choose. Whether Paul Rodgers complimented his vocals or not is irrelevant.

JB writes songs that surpass Jimi, Zep, Free, Blackmore? Really? Well, there weren't any on this Beacon dvd.

I wasted $$ on it

Knock Page all you want. He and his body of work speak for themselves. Nobody will be talking abouty JB in 40 years, IMO.

harmonicator

After viewing that, I would like to suggest the following new band:

Paul Rogers: Vocals
Glen Hughes: Vocals, Bass
Joe Bonamassa: Guitars
Jason Bonham: Drums

that would be one hell of a fun rock band to see.

vmjoe

A few points. Nobody said anything about his guitar playing, I didn't.
Vocals are a funny thing. People like and dislike what they choose. Whether Paul Rodgers complimented his vocals or not is irrelevant.

JB writes songs that surpass Jimi, Zep, Free, Blackmore? Really? Well, there weren't any on this Beacon dvd.

I wasted $$ on it

Knock Page all you want. He and his body of work speak for themselves. Nobody will be talking abouty JB in 40 years, IMO.
I know my post was long, but you misunderstood what I said on a few things. I didn't say his writing surpasses the people you name. I didn't even specify that his technique surpasses anyone in particular. I said that his and other contemporary guitarists' techniques may surpass some of the guys I named. Never mentioned anything about the music written by Joe surpassing these icons.

Paul Rogers compliment most certainly is relevant to Joe I'm quite sure. All I said was I'm sure he accepts the opinion of a peer (in this case a true legend) much more than a bunch of opinions (myself included) from forum members.

Knock Page? Blasphemy! I didn't knock Page, anyhow, anyway. I only stated my opinion of some of his live performances. I'm not the only one that notices and mentions his sloppiness. Much of it has to do with the difficulty of performing music in a live setting with one guitar that may have been recorded, with 6 or 8 or even more tracks. Also, in the latter years, much could probably be attributed to his drug and alcohol abuse. Me being critical of Page. You really missed my intention. I was fortunate to see Zep in '75 & '77. My 2 most fond musical experiences with lots of competition.

Last of all, if you ever decide to buy anything else by Joe, let me know as soon as possible and I will wait to buy it and then pay you a reduced rate for it.:phones

After viewing that, I would like to suggest the following new band:

Paul Rogers: Vocals
Glen Hughes: Vocals, Bass
Joe Bonamassa: Guitars
Jason Bonham: Drums

that would be one hell of a fun rock band to see.

I agree. If all the egos could be held in check, it might be truly outstanding.

gkinsingapore

Nothing against Joe B, he's a superb player and his voice HAS come a long way, but how many DVD's and CD's can one guy release without it all sounding the same?!

Seems he's averaging a new CD or DVD every 6 months and is TOTALLY over-exposed. The Beacon Theatre just sounds like the Albert Hall or Live From Nowhere In Particular. You have one, you don't need any more.....

The Ratchet

I have had this DVD since Tuesday and it is great!!! I was able to get an early copy of the disc (along with some other goodies) through his fan club.

The filming is first rate and the guest performances from Beth Hart, John Hiatt and Paul Rodgers are truly excellent. This one should appeal to a broad range of music lovers, not just hard core JB fans.

To get the best result.. it should be played LOUD!!!

There are nineteen tracks on the main disc and two tracks and some extras on the bonus disc as well as a booklet included in the pakage.

The Beacon Theatre looks like a fantastic venue and the DVD makes me wish I was a member of the audience. Certainly would have liked to see Joe and his band perform there.
Can't wait to get this!!

Saw it on the 'ole PBS promo. When John Hiatt comes out and plays 'Down Around My Place' - there's just nuthin but straight up smoke n' blues comin outta that man.

:rockin

shg

Seems he's averaging a new CD or DVD every 6 months and is TOTALLY over-exposed. The Beacon Theatre just sounds like the Albert Hall or Live From Nowhere In Particular. You have one, you don't need any more.....
The thing that really pisses me off is how, when a new DVD comes out, Joe Bonamassa comes around to my house and holds a gun to my head and forces me to buy it. Imagine what life would be like if that didn't happen. Imagine if it was my own personal choice whether or not to buy each Bonamassa album.

telesquire

Nothing against Joe B, he's a superb player and his voice HAS come a long way, but how many DVD's and CD's can one guy release without it all sounding the same?!

Now you are sounding like the wife referring to my guitars....

fxdx99

Now you are sounding like the wife referring to my guitars....
Smile! yeh, that sounds familiar...

Got the dvd after reading the OP initial post. With not one but 2 '59 bursts on it, had to see it. My 'intro' to JB other than youtube clips. Guy can play. And sing (imho). And yeh, is a musician that can tastefully support guest vocalists. Good stuff.

On my 'regular dvd' (not blueray), the vocals are mixed a bit behind the band. I went back to settings to see if I could bring them up, but couldn't. Anyone else notice this? Mostly on JB's tunes - Beth Hart's are a bit more up front.

Lance

Can't wait to get this!!

Saw it on the 'ole PBS promo. When John Hiatt comes out and plays 'Down Around My Place' - there's just nuthin but straight up smoke n' blues comin outta that man.

:rockin
This song was quite outstanding, imo. John Hiatt IS the Blues. I guess I just don't understand how so many players hate JB. Certainly higher quality performing than any band I've ever been in. I can't believe people are griping about song dynamics. Personally, I like roller coasters, but it seems like many just want to ride the little kiddy train that goes around the amusement park. I guess it's just too much excitement for some people. You know, like Vegas is just too much for some people, while others are totally at home, and ready to get their debauchery on!

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
This song was quite outstanding, imo. John Hiatt IS the Blues. I guess I just don't understand how so many players hate JB. Certainly higher quality performing than any band I've ever been in. I can't believe people are griping about song dynamics. Personally, I like roller coasters, but it seems like many just want to ride the little kiddy train that goes around the amusement park. I guess it's just too much excitement for some people. You know, like Vegas is just too much for some people, while others are totally at home, and ready to get their debauchery on!
It's not too much excitement, it's overblown and tiresome. I really, really liked Joe before he started doing all that, I went to see him twice when I was working in Vegas area and the shows were great. Now I just watch a little and turn it off. I did really like the John Hiatt song, though.
He should turn back time to the Rockpalast DVD years, he was at his best then.

Trending Topics