Bonamassa Live @ Royal Albert Hall

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dillow4092, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Man, just watched the DVD. Joe is a friggin monster! I've always been a fan since way back. Check it out if you get the chance. Top of the line production.

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

It really is a great show. There were posts on his forum from those who didn't think the mix in the RAH was the best, but it sure came across nicely on DVD. Joe is really great on that video all the way through. Just for this post, I'm going to go watch it again tonight!

3. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

Really great concert; I love watching him play. Saw him about 6 months ago, very similar to the RAH concert. The guy is a monster player.....

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I like his playing and his tone. And I'll check it out (I have other live albums of his). But I don't understand why people say he's a monster. He just sounds like another guy playing good blues-rock. I hear nothing terribly new, fresh, inventive, unusual, or difficult about what he's doing vs. top players in his genre circa '75. Again, I do like it a lot, but in small doses. But I remember when people like allen holdsworth, joe pass, steve morse, albert lee, richard thompson, larry coryell, steve howe, michael hedges, and mahavishnu john mclaughlin were called monsters. Hmm...But I do really really like Joe's playing, tone, and trip, a lot.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Moe Zambeek

Moe Zambeek Member

I looked for that DVD tonight when I was at Best Buy, they didn't have it. Didn't even have any of his CD's! They used to have a blues section there, but no more. I'll look elsewhere. The DVD looks pretty good.

6. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

I got the last copy at FYE, not sure if there's one around you.

7. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

This has become one of my favorite live CDs. I've been listening to it nonstop since I got it. Haven't seen the DVD yet. Ordering it right now.

8. Full Monty

Full Monty Member

To my ears the RAH DVD is a bit over-produced. It may well be the sound of the venue but I much prefer the Rockpalast DVD where Bonamassa's playing with a three-piece in a much more intimate environment.

9. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Good job my friends...

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Bonamassa @ RAH is on my list. For Christmas my son gave me David Gilmour @ RAH, another great one. And then there's the Cream reunion DVD recorded there as well!

11. Moe Zambeek

Moe Zambeek Member

Yeah, I checked and there is one near by. I've never been there but I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!

12. Strat59

Strat59 Member

Great Showcase of Joe's immense talent. This guy has
    the chops / soul / feeling in spades. It's the performance
    JM only wishes he could do !

BUT.... what happened to the mix for Paul Jones & Eric
    Clapton ! they were mixed right out. could barely hear
    Eric when he took his solo's. And Paul on Harp fared even worse.

But a great DVD by a great guitarist !

13. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Eric was fine in the mix on my DVD. I mean he had his typical thin sounding strat tone, but he was up plenty in the mix as the song developed.

14. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I swear Joe has the best tone I've heard in years. He just keeps getting better and better.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

Excellent DVD and Joe was 'in the zone' during the entire performance. I wish they would have chosen a different, or more songs, for the Clapton guest portion, but otherwise it was a fine performance. I also really liked the bonus feature with Joe being interviewed, in his tour bus, and running through some of the song ideas. Very cool...

16. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Nice DVD, I just wished the definition would have been better, it's doesn't look sharp enough , especially on HDTV.

17. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Nice DVD, but I wish there had been more of his rock stuff. I usually skip the blues tunes when I listen to his CDs. The show was like all blues.

18. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I just watched the DVD. Really good. I'd love to see him live at some point. He is a beast.

19. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

Bumping this up as I just got this DVD and checked it out last night. I agree, a lot of slow tunes, but man, when he solos it's magic. He's got some killer killer licks, both the fast bursts of notes and the slower stuff too. Lots of licks to steal if I ever get around to it!

Why the two drummers I wonder? They seemed to be playing the same fills most of the time. Maybe that was the point - to have a big synced drum sound?

High water everywhere was cool with only acoustic and the tribal sounding double drums. the bus interview was cool too.

20. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i prefer just listening to the audio on this one. He's a great player but the antics (arm raised in the air nodding at the crowd etc...) are too much for me.