Bonamassa's pickin' style

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Vishnu, May 3, 2016.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I like it...very relaxed,fast and accurate.

does not appear to fall into any upward or downward pick slanting category though....looks like flat and straight on...

anyone shed any light on his pickin' style or can give me a heads up to good youtube video of his right hand in action?

thanks guys :)

muzishun likes this.
  2. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

he's too fast for my eye but highly enjoy his playing technique. I believe they refer to is "economy picking" however I would just do what ever feels comfortably and rock on. This may help, but not JB himself of course.

MrLahey likes this.
  3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

anyone else ?

4. chill

chill Member

I see a pretty clear downward slanting picking style with an occasional dramatic wrist twist to go into upward slant. He also sometimes does string hopping like Eric Johnson to get a bit of stacato sound.

The thing about Troy Grady's discovery of pick slanting that seems to often get missed is that it is not one way to play fast as opposed to others. It is the difference between those who can play fast and those who can't. The vast majority of those who can play fast pick slant, it is almost impossible to play fast without it. It is a matter of physics, not a technique.

Papa Smurf likes this.