Bone nut on Gibson Les Paul, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mt10, Aug 31, 2006.

1. mt10

mt10 Member

I am going to take my '05 R9 Les Paul in for a set up and wondered if anyone had any opinions on if I should have a bone nut installed? What effect does it have on the tone? Thanks

2. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I put tusq nuts on my guitars because bone is brighter because it is harder. I put the tusq nut on a strat so maby a les paul needs a bone nut because it is a darker guitar?

Opinions?

3. Casey

Casey Member

What is the nut made of that is on there now?

4. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Most Gibby's now come with Plastic nuts. I have replaced many to bone, and while it does help with the Mojo Factor there is no real tonal differance to speak of. A properly set up nut is essential to any guitar, but I have not noticed a huge difference in tone. Bone can be slightly darker sounding. But usually only with open chords ringing.
    A Tonepros bridge system would be a much better upgrade for a Les Paul in my Pro Opinion.

Price likes this.
  5. tac5

tac5 Member

I replaced the plastic (or whatever) nuts on both my Les Pauls with fossilized Walrus Ivory, only because I had a couple of blanks in my work drawer. Bone would have been good too. Both guitars sound better to me and stay in tune better. It polishes up real well and is very durable. I think it gave a little more definition to the notes. Sustains forever.

6. ES350

ES350 Member

I used to make bone nuts on a regular basis and have some blanks cut for my R6 and a 335--just haven't got around to it. Biggest change over the plastic in an LP would be tuning stability, I would bet.

7. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Right now I have tusq on my strat and my s+p acoustic.

8. Zanary

Zanary Member

I got a bone nut put on my newest LP...if you know how to do it well or know someone who does, they make a world of difference.

9. danj

danj Supporting Member

I have an older ('90) LP studio and I'm pretty sure it has a bone nut. Anyone know if/when they made a change? Or did a previous owner likely do this?

10. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

+1! My R8 improved both in tuning, and tone- esp the open strings.

11. webs

webs Supporting Member

My '95 Standard has a bone nut too, so it may have been standard at some point. I did get it used though, so it could be an aftermarket.

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

The only difference you'll hear - if any - will be on an open string. The nut is not a factor on fretted notes.

13. Casey

Casey Member

Are the nuts on the Historic guitars plastic as well? I have a Historic '59 335 and couldn't tell just by looking whether it was bone or plastic, or something else. Any help would be great. Thanks!

14. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Senior Member

Unless there's something wrong with the present nut, it's a waste of money.

15. mt10

mt10 Member

Thanks for the opinions. Sounds like going with a bone nut is a good option. HEY!YOU! is probably somewhat right too in that I'm so tone deaf that I probably won't be able to tell the difference and it will be a waste of money, but hey, part of the fun is in the upgrading, regardless if it makes a huge difference or not. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the wrong move and that there would be some benefit. Thanks again.

16. rick66

rick66 Member

the nuts on historic guitars (i have a 2002 R7) are made from corian, not plastic.

17. Casey

Casey Member

Thank you sir! That's what I wanted to know.