bongos

Well, I sat & thought about it a lot, & the one instrument which might not require a lot of work to have fun on is drums...

In the past, storage was a problem for music gear, so bongos seemed to be the default answer.

Harmonica was a no-go, as my pitch is FAR from perfect, & there's just no telling when it sounds like arse to everyone else, LOL!

So, I ordered a set of open-box bongers from American Musical & they should be here within a few days.

At first I really wanted higher end stuff used, but was getting nowhere perusing GC.com.
Even the sales guys were saying, "Buy NEW!", because if you get a dud the heads will cost you.

A makeshift set of bongos were made from a couple of saltine crackers tins to start with, & while it bugged the crap out of the other occupant, I don't think it will be so intrusive if they're real drums.

Nothing much to say really, but since this is the GEAR page, & I just bought some new gear...

add: I'm not going to "bang on my drum all day", but just thump out something as the mood takes me

jalmer

I get the portability and I could have a hell of a good time with a set but I hate songs that feature bongos. Like that one song on REMs Reckoning. All I hear are bongos saying, isn't this a cooler song cause we decided to put f'ing bongos on it. No, it makes it lame. Rant over.

EricPeterson

KBD, have you considered a cajon?

best-cajon_featured-3.jpg

M

Member 132475

Is this you?

"I shoulda learned to play the guitar
I shoulda learned to play them drums
Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera
Man we could have some fun
And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?
Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee
That ain't workin' that's the way you do it
Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free"

Sam Karnatz

'Drummer': Someone who hangs out with musicians.....

A cajon is more versatile than bong-os...hadn't thought of that, but if I didn't have Reason, I'd probly have a cajon. You can get pretty convincing snare/kick sounds....something my bongs never could.

Dave2512

Bongos, tambourine et al. are a tough go when not used as icing on the cake. Solo bongoing gets into monotony quick.

Seems you are searching for a noisemaker that's fun, requires a minimum of skill and won't end up on craigslist in a week after it reveals to be boring or difficult to master.

that super-fast slamma-lamma-ding-dong stuff is more of a turn-off than Yngwie shredding his way through a solo.

when it gets monotonous, I'll put it down, LOL

I won't be sitting around having epic jams with myself.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom