Bonham and Jones...

edgewound

What an amazing rhythm section for a rock band.

They made it easy for Plant and Page to fill in the holes. Guitar players everywhere appreciate what the rhythm section does:

guitarman_nebr

Silver Supporting Member
thank you, thank you, thank you, I am humbled by the true gods!!

Bohnam and Jones

I just spent the last two hours jamming.............inspired? yes

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
You have to include Jimmy in that rhythm section. He and Bonzo were locked in

Uncle_Salty

I think that JPJ is terribly underrated. He really is a wonderful, tasteful player, capable of flash when needed. Everybody talks about Page & Bonzo (deservedly so, I might add) but they forget about Mr. Baldwin's essential contribution to the whole groove. Nice to see him getting a little love in this thread.

DWB1960

This music is from the famous "Listen to this Eddie" bootleg. (the video is from another night but it was patched together and included on the Zeppelin DVD as one of the menus)

If you listen to Bonham during the intro and the rest of the song he's playing like a mad man - adding fills and beats he'd normally not use. The reason behind this is that the previous gig they played 2 nights earlier in San Diego was one of Bonzo's worst ever. He was either sick or wasted and played terribly - by his standards.

He was devastated after the show for letting his band mates down so he wanted to make up for it the next gig.

He's an absolute MONSTER the entire "Eddie" concert.

Last edited:

harpinon

Try if you like, but there is no cooler band than LZ.
How many drummers could you just sit and listen to without any musical accompanyment?

Full Monty

JPJ was, and is, a talented multi-instrumentalist. He also arranged music during his session career. This gave him the kind of perspective that most instrumentalists will never have as to the position the bass guitar holds in rock/pop music. Given that Bonzo was a gifted, and very solid, rock drummer I think any decent bass player would have locked in with him. It was JPJ's ability to play other instruments that made the difference in my opinion.

teleman55

What makes a killer guitar player? A killer drummer! :bonk
As a guitar player who has played with some really good drummers (and some other ones too), I'll vouch for that.

Love Bonham and Jones. Plus, Jones did a lot more than play bass in that band.

Trending Topics