Bonnie Raitt slide... anybody knows?

vintage66

I have a few store bought wine bottlenecks and a bunch I made myself. I use it on my ring finger instead of middle like Bonnie. They have a bit of curve so they match the radius of the fretboard if you pick the right type bottle. I have a couple straight ones but much prefer the curved. The do sound nice and full due to the thick glass.

5F6-A

Rock Slide makes glass as well
Yeap! I think my glass slide will be either the glass version of what I have now in brass form or a diamond (model to be determined).

I have a few store bought wine bottlenecks and a bunch I made myself. I use it on my ring finger instead of middle like Bonnie. They have a bit of curve so they match the radius of the fretboard if you pick the right type bottle. I have a couple straight ones but much prefer the curved. The do sound nice and full due to the thick glass.
Good job, man.

Thank you very much! I hope it helps you in the search!
I hope so. My absolute ideal would be to sound like the electric slide version of Mahalia Jackson's voice but I probably sound more like Shooby Taylor.

vintage66

I was trying to remember Big Heart, they cut them and melt the edges so it’s very smooth but they vary a lot so mail order is hit and miss. Guitar Center usually has a few in stock but if you’re in England not sure who would have them.

nnnnnn

Yeah, multiple people including his ex-tour manager, and I'm surprised anyone still lists his name as an endorser.
Oh that's no good, I didn't realise either, I only knew that he had died, not the circumstances.

East Texas

In the old days, there was an over the counter painkiller called Coriciden. The glass bottles were perfect for slide and a lot of blues players used them. Looked just like what Bonnie Raitt is using in the photo. I remember buying a bottle and dumping the pills out so I could use the bottle for slide. Wine bottle necks were popular too, which is why the style was just as often referred to as "bottleneck guitar" as "slide" back then.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
slide fit hint: use the Velcro fuzzy-side stuff inside a slide that is too big - cut a rectangle piece to fit inside half the diameter, and ad a second one if it's still too large. You've got more fuzzy stuff than hook stuff laying around, put it to good use.

justabubba

slide fit hint: use the Velcro fuzzy-side stuff inside a slide that is too big - cut a rectangle piece to fit inside half the diameter, and ad a second one if it's still too large. You've got more fuzzy stuff than hook stuff laying around, put it to good use.
mole skin works well for me

urQuill

Silver Supporting Member
Man ...

if I could somehow get ahold of a bottle of Bonnie Raitt slide playin wizardry I would drink that bottle down to the bottom, cut the neck off and get busy
yes I would

that's all I know about it

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
mole skin works well for me
That's also a good idea, I've never had occaision to buy mole skin but I had a ton of the fuzzy Velcro side in a drawer. The mole skin would work well if you didn't need the thickness of the fuzzy or "loop" side of velcro.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
There were also some very disturbing allegations floating around that guy.
Yeah, multiple people including his ex-tour manager, and I'm surprised anyone still lists his name as an endorser.
I know it's off topic, but since it's mentioned here thought I'd add this. I don't think anyone really knows if anything happened, or what really happened. There are a lot of things around what happened, the timing of it and the "facts" that don't add up. These allegations did not come out until after Bob died, and the other big thing was the accuser mentioned that there had been charges (or a lawsuit, can't remember which now) filed. Some reporters checked on that and there had been no charges or suits filed at all like was alleged. So who knows what is real and what isn't regarding all of what was said.

bagpipe

Another vote for Diamond Bottleneck in the UK. I have the Redhouse model. I ordered it direct from them. Have had it for 10 years and its been the only one I've used since I got it.

ClickClack

Now? Sadly Bob Brozman passed away a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he used a few different types of slides depending on what he was doing. I had the good fortunate to see him live once and in that one show he played quite a variety of instruments.
"Sadly"?!? Brozman harmed a lot of people with his secret hobby of child molestation. He took his own life when it became clear that he could not avoid going on trial for his crimes. Turns out he was not only a monster on guitar, but also in real life.

nnnnnn

"Sadly"?!? Brozman harmed a lot of people with his secret hobby of child molestation. He took his own life when it became clear that he could not avoid going on trial for his crimes. Turns out he was not only a monster on guitar, but also in real life.
Other people have already mentioned that part of the story, which (as per my other post above) I was not aware of when I posted.

ClickClack

Other people have already mentioned that part of the story, which (as per my other post above) I was not aware of when I posted.
Fair enough. In all fairness, like many others, I was awed by his skills on guitar and general musical knowledge, so it was a major shock and disappointment to learn that he was a pedophile. A painful reminder of the ancient saying about many seemingly admirable people having "feet of clay."

Pasty White

I use these. Real bottle necks, cut to length. No lip, because I don't want that. They come in different weights and colors. They all sound different as well. $15.

Booze Blues Guitar Slides. Made in Mississippi.
I bought one of their brown glass slides recently. Really fine!!

vintage66

That's also a good idea, I've never had occaision to buy mole skin but I had a ton of the fuzzy Velcro side in a drawer. The mole skin would work well if you didn't need the thickness of the fuzzy or "loop" side of velcro.
I have some “thick” moleskin I got at cvs that’s about as thick as fuzzy Velcro. Works well, and I like larger diameter slides so I can buy bigger without fear that it will be too big to use.

Tony Done

I use these. Real bottle necks, cut to length. No lip, because I don't want that. They come in different weights and colors. They all sound different as well. $15.

Booze Blues Guitar Slides. Made in Mississippi.

I remember when Mateus bottlenecks were all the rage. :)

I also make and sell them through our local mom and pop store here in Oz, though it is getting difficult, because we have mostly gone to screw caps. I still make them from these for my own use, but the wastage is too high for selling when both ends have to be cut off.

I also like heavy brass on resos with a fairly high action, and use the same one as a a lap steel bar.

Trending Topics