Bonnie Raitt slide goddess!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by paulg, May 25, 2015.

1. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I saw her this weekend at the Santa Cruz music fest. Wow, she's beyond great. I'm basically a Sonny Landreth disciple. I think he's probably the most innovative slide player ever. But to hear the power of simplicity in Bonnie's playing was staggering. She would trade riffs with her guitar player ( no slouch either!), and play like three or four notes and just kill it. Her touch and control puts her in an elite class IMHO. The whole band was stellar. Don't miss a chance to catch her live.

2. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

I agree her tone and touch are great.

3. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

She learned a lot directly from Muddy Waters.

4. Carmour

Carmour Member

Yeah she is great. I think Lowell had a pretty big influence on her too.

5. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

definitely an underrated player. she can really cut loose when she wants to.

6. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I'm not sure if she uses a compressor or its just her Bad Cat amps but she gets a crystal clear tone then when it's cranking the notes hold for ever. I also notice she uses a wide vibrato. That can sound pretty bad (like when I do it!), but her intonation is spot on. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, she's been doing this thing, like forever!

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

She uses a compressor according to interviews she did around the release of Nick Of Time. That clued me in to using a comp for bottleneck and once I tried it, man, it's like a must-have for bottleneck now. No turning back.

I think Fred McDowell taught her a lot of her style. Though I prefer her playing over his.

8. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

She is one of my favorite singer / slide guitar players.
    "I Cant Make You Love Me" is one of my favorite songs that she does.

9. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I don't know enough about slide playing to rate her chops, but she's one of those players who play really great parts without hitting you over the head with it. I listened to Road Tested over the weekend, and wen you tink about it, there is some extremely cool playing there - but it fit seamlessly into the song. It's always a song. I like that.

and since this is tgp - she's got some tone with that strat as well

10. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

She is fabulous in all respects. Her show in Ann Arbor a couple of years ago was one of the best performances that I have ever seen. She plays and sings great and is able to communicate great emotion to her audience.

11. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Saw her when she was on tour with Lyle Lovett years ago and she was terrific. Big sound.

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Tasty... yep she's tasty. Crap.. do I really have to go back to a compressor?

13. Bebop Tom

Bebop Tom Member

Bonnie says more with one note than most slide players say with ten. Love her! She's the real deal.

14. macula56

macula56 Member

She doesn't rely on flash and lots of notes to get her point across like some folks do. She makes every note count. Very expressive and great tone.

15. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I've been on a Spit of Love jag lately. Love all the greasy tones in that tune.

16. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

If you listen to Kokomo Blues/Write Me a Few of Your Lines you'll hear the Mississippi John Hurt influence in her acoustic playing.
    Her electric work is mostly influenced by Lowell George.
    I am a fan of hers, have a bunch of her CD's and have seen her a few times. My comments are not meant to bash her. They are only comments or observations.
    That being said, I wish after all of these years she had let her slide playing style develop into something more "Bonnie". I am also a Little Feat fan. Sometimes, when I listen to Bonnie I find myself wishing she didn't get so close to Lowell's style. I know a lot of it is a Strat in G tuning and a compressor. But still......