Boogie Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PLEXIBLE, Jun 10, 2008.

1. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

I bought this cabinet in the 80's but never really used it. It has basically been in storage. Anybody know the scoop on it. It is a 4/12 upper half open with G12H-100's and lower half closed with EVM 12L's.

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

What kind of scoop are you looking for? Value? Date of Manufacture?

3. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Anything and everything. Value,dates,why 1/2 open closed, Speaker config,type of music best suited,wiring,ohms-You name it.

4. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have the 2 x 12 version of this cab and its 4 ohms -- the bottom is a closed-back thiele ported-like portion designed specifically for the EVs and creating a deep bottom end that is otherwise balanced -- the upper portion are, as you know, open-backed having the Celestions for the sonic advantages of an open-back such as sound dispersion around the cab, not just projected as in a reg 4 x 12. I suspect that the design came from the integration from the thiele 1 x 12 cabs MB has been making for a long time and the observation that some guitarists, like Duane Allman, like one of the two 4 x 12's in their rig to be open backed (whereas the other 4 x 12 is closed and usually with Celestions) -- he used Altec 417's in those and I am not sure they were available by the 80's. The EVs are not alnico like the Altecs but they are high-definition as well.

My cab has a C90 on top and I am not sure I ever heard of C100's in this cab but live and learn. I got mine as a smaller replacement for a 4 x 12 and am pretty happy with it. I use it for new rock/fusion.

Yours is a very loud cabinet and probably 8 ohms if they used the same speaker OHM value configuration as mine -- which would not be exceptional.

5. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Thanks for the info. You are correct it is a 8 ohm cab. The upper half and lower are in series with each other @ 16 ohms each,and parallel at the jack for 8 ohms.