Boogie dudes please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by japhy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. japhy

japhy Member

My question is , how do you tell the difference between a mkII b , c , c+.
    I found a Boggie that the seller claims is a mkII , but it has no markings that indicate which mkII .
    It is a 60 watt , no sim/class , no eq .

I know nearly nothing boogie , and I don't feel like searching the net to get my answer . This is the only gear board that I'm registered on , so I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

2. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Here is a link to help you out. The main thing is the serial #. The IIB has no pull shift on the Bass knob.
    http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IICPlus.html

You can call Mesa Boogie with the serial # and they will date the amp and tell you the model.
    The date should be on the bottom of the chassis though.

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Here are a couple of pics of my IIC+ to help out. The "+" and MB's initials are essential to ID a IIC+[​IMG]

4. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

if the knobs have silver caps it's a MKIIB or A, black caps MKIIC or C+ the + will have a little + over the power cord.

silver caps:

[​IMG]

5. The Captain

Sorry, here is another, I'm still learning to drive the pic module here[​IMG]

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

What he said...A C+ will have a "+" sigh above the convenience outlet but some have just put them on themselves. You can also get a good idea by the date. The date is usually handwritten on the chassis and sometimes in the cabinet. C+s came out in late 1983 and were made for about a year and a half. Their serial numbers are mostly in the 12,XXX to 13,XXX range.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Make the call to mesa.They are nice folks!

8. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

nice amp!

9. The Captain

That's why I put up the pic. All the IIC+ amps were done by MB and his + sign is very distinctive, being quite curvy rather than straight, and the pen he used leaves a distinctive pattern. I'm sure that people have tried to fake it, but A/Bed against a genuine one, I think it would be easy to pick a fake.

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

Yah but...it ain't that hard to copy and not everyone knows what Mike Bendinelli's marks look like. I am sure there have been more that one phony passed off as authentic. At $2K to $4K+ for a MKIIC+, you better be sure. I had Mike B. check my C+ Simul Class and I'm glad I don't have to worry about about it.

11. The Captain

I guess that is true, and I had mine checked and serviced at the Boogie factory as well. Since I bought mine over the net, I had some concerns about authenticity, and was also reassured to have MB give it the thumbs up.
    Mine is not simul-class, which is cool, since I prefer 6L6 tone anyway.
    These amps are an education.

12. japhy

japhy Member

Thnaks for the info so far . I know the amp has the mb markings . I'l go back tomorrow to look for the bass shift and the other marking, the ser# etc.

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

Simul Class MKIIC+'s can run on 4, 6L6's, 2, EL34s with 2 6L6's or just 2, EL34's.

14. The Captain

Yeah, I know that. Mine is presently running on two 6L6's cos I had a bad tube, and the price here is criminal. I'll buy some more on my holiday in a few weeks.
    I'm going to try and get some Sylvanias.
    Having the eq is more important to me than the Simul-Class, and i did not have the choice anyway.

15. japhy

japhy Member

Checked it out again today . Turns out to be a IIB . It's in a rack mount .
    I'm trying to figure out what a good price would be to own it , considering that I would want to buy a cab to put it in.......

ser# is in the 9xxx range.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

Not everyone thinks the Simul Class sounds best. I have a MKIIC+ Simul Class and owned a 60/100 C+, when it was new in late 1983 through 1986 . It is hard to compare them after 25 years and I am not using them in the same ways, at the same volume, with the same guitars. If I had to guess, for rock music, I think the 60/100 sounded better, not to take anything away from the Simul Class because it does that well too and also has a fusion type sound that I really like.

17. daveowens2007

daveowens2007 Member

hi - I own a mrk3 ( with) the IIC+ mod...
    save your self the cash and buy a used mrk3 and have
    the mod..it cleans the tones and the fizz/hizz right out.
    completely changes the sound and the dynamics
    of the amp..I also have a Pentode/Triode switch on mine.(full loaded Blue stripe/89/jan)..

(no its not a real IIC+ ) but its really close..and alot cheaper.

18. The Captain

This would gel with my tonal preferences anyway. I have one amp with EL34's, and I love it for what it does, but it does not get the same visceral crunch to it that I get from the 6L6's in my other Mesa and H&K amps.
    I wonder what the OP's amp turned out to be ??

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

The stock Mark III "red stripe" is already very close to the C+ sound if you can find one of those.

20. primerib

primerib Member

And you can send a IIC to MB and they'll upgrade it to a '+' for a couple hundred. As long as Mike B is not on another sabatacle.