Boogie express 550+ V Boogie Rec 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Vishnu, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

Is there anybuddy who has/had the two of these fine amps and found a way/setting on the Rec 25 to get close /mimic the 5:50s crunch channel?

can the Rec 25 combo be set up to sound like the Express crunch channel

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

anyone on how to clone the 550 express crunch onto the rec 25....or close?

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I think so. In my experience using a Dual Rectifier which has the same pre-amp as the smaller ones.. you could probably dial in something with the Pushed mode or the Vintage mode depending on how you set the gain and other knobs. The most important thing on these Recto amps is how you set the gain and treble, that really impacts the voicing and sound a lot. The Pushed mode is really good, but if you read the manual you will learn that the mids and treble knob both add gain (on top of the existing gain knob) and this is the key to getting more 'crunch' or if you want to make things more smooth you'll want to use more mids and less treble and set the gain as you want. Probably sounds a bit confusing on here but my point is the amp is versatile to the point you could probably get 95% of way there with some tweaking.

Same applies to the Vintage mode, just dial the gain back on it, and it can be used as a low/medium gain crunch mode easily.

5. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Do you have a clip of what the 5:50 crunch sounds like? I can then kind of guesstimate if I think I could get in the ballpark with it.

My ROV25 head does a fair few sounds (well) but does sound different through say a 4x12, a small 1x12 CB or big 1x12 OB cab with a variety of differing speakers.

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

9. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Member

Wait...you're actually trying to get a ROV to sound like an Express? Usually I read the other way around.

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I think so. That kind of tone is likely in there. Maybe using a big open back cab and pushing the power tubes as well as the preamp on Pushed or Vintage. Maybe 10w mode.

11. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I couldn't get that sound out of a ROV-25. So I got rid of it and got a Fillmore 25. You could use a pedal.

12. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The ROV25 is a lot lower gain than many expect. It needs a boost for modern metal. Fuzzy, bass heavy tones like in the clip are in there.

Crank the power section loud, use the preamp for volume, use radical EQ and even the Vintage or modern ch, use 10w etc etc. It’s got a lot of range and with an external pedal..