Boogie III or IV?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Feb 17, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Is the actual gain on the Mark IV's smoother as I have read? Is there a tonal compromise? Played a III today and liked, but if the IV"s gain is smoother that appeals to me.
    Thanks

2. Troser

Troser Member

Definately smoother, and more on tap. Better switching system by a million-fold. That said, I like the styling of the Mark III better... single row of knobs.

If I needed to switch channels it would be no contest... Mark IV. For just the gain channel, I'd buy a Mark III just because I like the styling better, and they still sound great.

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I've owned 2 MKIV's and currently own a green stripe MKIII non-simul. The MKIV is smoother and more versatile, but the MKIII is more agressive sounding. I kept the MKIII because I also own a Fuchs. The Fuchs gives me the cleans and smooth fusiony dirty tones and the MKIII gives me thrash/hard rock tones to die for. YMMV...

4. JackButler

Thanks.
    I'm looking for a smoother OD channel and great fat clean to compliment my Soldano's angry side so I'll be a/bing the amps.

5. Troser

Troser Member

Grab yourself a Bogner Shiva EL34 for the best cleans you've ever heard... the drive channel rocks too, and they take a pedal like a madman.

6. JackButler

I had a Shiva with 6l6, liked it, but it wouldn't be one of my two main gigging amps. Ironically I am looking at a 34 shiva now for a combo amp for small venues. The green stripe I heard today..it's clean was much bigger than the Shiva IMO.

So just snagged the MArk IV that came up, if that doesn't do it then I know to go for the green stripe III.
    Thanks guys!

7. Troser

Troser Member

You gear junkie! ;)

Hope you find just what you like. That el34 Shiva is an outstanding amp... I'd take that over the Mesa any day, personally.

8. JackButler

That I am! Trying to slow way down, but can't fight the what if's!

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I had a IV and hated it. The tone is so freakin compressed to death .... just wasn't my thing, not to mention forever tweeking ( and yes, I know how to tweek a amp ). I have 2 MKIIIs ( red and a green stripe ) and IMO they are more dynamic, and have much better bass response than the IV. .... plus you can tweek in a good tone in about 10 seconds.

I've seen too many good guitar players buy MkIVs and then sell them within 6 months ( for me it only took 3 weeks ).

Actually, I would recommend an early 2203 JCM800 and a good over drive pedal over either. :)

10. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i don't agree that the IV is smoother. It was a buzz machine to my ear. The III is much better, particularly when you play it loud.

11. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

That Green stripe will have bigger better cleans than any Bogner. I think you'll go for the Mk III as soon as you get the IV. III has heavy bottom like a Recto. Actually the 1st Rectos had Mk III transformers in them. Good luck. I have 4 Mesa amps, had 8, it's all good.

12. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

What kind of Mark III did you play? It was a Simul Green Stripe?

I bet you'll like the IV a lot though. It's pretty awesome.

13. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

The Mark III's are marginally acceptable at best, Avoid them, they never get the tone you want.
    A Fuchs amp is WAY better IMO....The mark 2 can get some decent tones. My advice, move on from the mark III
    it will not make you happy....

14. daveowens2007

daveowens2007 Member

mine's been reworked and its amazing..(not for sale.).its a tweakers
    amp..I had the IIC+ mod (and) a pentode/triode switch installed..
    its sitting on top of my Mako CHW...its got killer tones.
    there not just metal amps..

15. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

yeah i have to disagree with budlite.

16. JackButler

Oooh, should be fun! So many opinions make this a good place. I'll surely post in on how I like it!

17. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

oooh dear,going down that boogie route....i can never ever figure out what people see in boogies,bizzare amps

18. JackButler

Thanks for the support Julian!
    I too thought that for along time, been there done that, but I figured they are worth giving another shot as my ears have changed.
    FWIW, the green stripe I played clean was just great! Rythmn no, lead pretty decent.
    Soon enough, soon enough I'll know.

19. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I would agree with the idea that the MKIIIs (red/blue stripe) have a more agressive, edgy tone where the MKIV is a smoother more laid-back voicing.

20. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Don't know about the Mark III because I haven't played one. I partially traded for one last week and it's due to arrive Thursday.

I had a Mark IV for about a month before I decided to sell. It was very fatiguing to listen to for more than a half hour. The cleans had an ice pick quality to them.

I love the smooth OD I can get out of my C+ and I hear that the Mark III Red Stripe is similar.