Boogie Lonestar: UNRELIABLE??

I’ve been told the Mesa boogie lonestar Amps s were discontinued due to a parts-reliability issue?? I’ve been wanting to purchase this no longer in production model, but I’m sorta afraid of them being a problem!! Any idea of why the lonestars were discontinued?????

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't look to be discontinued according to Mesa's site and retailers.

I had a Lone Start Special. I had no reliability issues. I some could picky about which rectifier tube was used. Other than that, nothing.

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
I was told by my local shop, a Mesa dealer, that the Lonestar and Lonestar Special were both discontinued. This was a week or two ago. They were even discounting their LSS.

scotty31

Had one and used it close to daily for 3 years without a hitch
guy i bought it from gigged it regularly for a couple of years before that.

Admittedly it left me in mint condition, so we both babied it. But it seemed solid enough

I'm yet to come across a Mesa that isn't built like a tank.

Lef T

Sweetwater and some other sites have them listed as no longer available.

coltonius

Señor Member
A buddy of mine has one and says it eats tubes. Perhaps his is biased too hot?

Sounds killer though!

Bucksears

Silver Supporting Member
I’ll believe it when it’s gone from the Mesa site.
Maybe three amp lines covering classic American tones is one too many?

Blackmoreguitar

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been told the Mesa boogie lonestar Amps s were discontinued due to a parts-reliability issue?? I’ve been wanting to purchase this no longer in production model, but I’m sorta afraid of them being a problem!! Any idea of why the lonestars were discontinued?????
The early Specials had an issue where the rectifier tube would blow, but a mod was implemented by Mesa to correct that. Having said that my LSS is pre mod and still has the original rectifier tube in it. I've never heard anything about the LSC being unreliable.

The special is a cathode biased EL84 amp, and it does go through power tubes quite quickly in my experience. Not in the sense that anything fails, but just that the tubes start to sound a bit dull and lifeless after 6 months or so, but a set of EL84s is cheap and they are plug and play, no tech time required.

The only issue I've had with my LSS, apart from a coupe of cracked tubes caused by transit damage, is that the reverb lost its 'boing'. I got hold of a replacement tank and all was good.

The combos are very heavy; I converted mine to a head and have no plans to get rid of it.

Re the discontinuation, it was reported on TGP a few weeks back that there was a parts availability issue and that manufacture had been suspended for this reason, but I have no idea what the truth of the matter is because I don't work for Mesa.

However, the Lone Stars have been in production since around 2005(?), so would it make sense that Mesa would be discontinuing them due to reliability issues now, after 15 years of production?

LaXu

Let the speculation begin about a successor! Seriously, the Lonestar Classic to me is one of the best amps Mesa has made and came very close to buying one.

What would you like to see in a "Lonestar 2"? I'd like two actually identical channels so having the drive circuit available for both channels would be cool. Reverb control needs to come to the front panel.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Mesa told me production is delayed because of a parts ‘availability’ (not ‘reliability’) issue

avalonpb

Silver Supporting Member
There was thread back in April where the reliability of the Lonestar was discussed.

Blackmoreguitar summed up the LSS nicely: Early versions have a rectifier issue that Mesa later corrected.

Similarly, early versions of the 50/100 watt LSCs had undersized screen resistors that would blow and take out other parts of the circuit if a tube failed. I personally own Lonestar (classic) #10 off the Mesa line. It is now 17 years old. It had rectifier failure early on that took out the power tube screen resistors, part of the phase inverter circuit, and caused some damage to the power transformer. I replaced the resistors with higher wattage versions (per info from Mesa) and the amp worked fine for several years (it did have a reverb tank fail). Recently the amp developed a loud 60hz hum after being used for a prolonged period of time (over 8 hours straight). Long story short: after I, and later a local tech, could not determine the source of the problem, I sent it in to Mesa. They replaced the power transformer. The amp is working great now.

Mesa changed the screen resistors in the LSC many years ago. Later amps have not suffered the meltdowns the very early units did. The suspect amps are easily identified because they use Carbon Composition screen resistors.

All things considered I'd say, in general, the Lonestar is a reliable amp. The early ones had some problems but those were only built for a few years.

Last edited:
The lonestar series is the oldest product in the mesa line up. I know the recto is old, but they revamped it after the lonestar came out to feature the multi watt capabilities. With the release of the tweed and fillmore, it was only a matter of time before the lonestar was retired for some new room in the product lineup.

Great amps. Reliable too. If you want to talk about poor reliability, walk over to the ampeg corner.

Oakley

The LSS is my favorite amp of all time. I picked up a used combo as a backup. I am older now and would like to switch to a head. But now I'm going to be reluctant to sell the combos until I know new units are available.

pelle31

The lonestar series is the oldest product in the mesa line up. I know the recto is old, but they revamped it after the lonestar came out to feature the multi watt capabilities. With the release of the tweed and fillmore, it was only a matter of time before the lonestar was retired for some new room in the product lineup.

Great amps. Reliable too. If you want to talk about poor reliability, walk over to the ampeg corner.
I thought the Mark series was the oldest.

plan-x

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a couple of issues with mine over the years, mainly grid resistors. Learned how to fix 'em myself. All the Fenders I had...died!