1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boogie Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by daveS, Feb 5, 2008.

1. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I recently dusted off my widebody combo I've had for 11 yrs (been stored for about 6), got it tuned up and plugged in. Whoa ! !! ...this amp sounds amazing....I guess I never appreciated it when I got it years ago.

Although I hear so much buzz about Boogie's lead sounds, I find that the clean rhythm 1 channel sounds really great. This amp is packed with a bunch of features that I never really explored until last weekend (pentode/triode, tweed power, Simul-Class, record out, slave out, etc).

After owning so many different amps, I realize that this amp is quite the bang for the buck.

Any Mark IV fans here ?

Suggested/Favorite settings ?

Cheers
    -d

[​IMG]

2. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Ive been using a MKIV since 1992. I love it! One of the best amps ever built IMHO. I don't hear much BUZZ on the gain channel at all. The fizzy buzzy Boogies are some of the recto series IMHO. The MKIV's are smooth.
    That said, I prefer to use the head versions of the MKIV's or I use an extention cab with the combos. Just sounds better to my ears then the 1x12 speaker!

All the best!

3. digital jams

digital jams Member

Bro, I think he was saying buzz as in lots of talk about it!! :D

Gainfreak turned me onto the MK IV and have never looked back, it is just a fantasic amp to play.

4. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    LOL. Yeah, actually I was referring to all the talk or hype I have heard regarding the lead channel.

Speaking of the lead channel, I must admit...if I plug in one on my PRS CU22s, I can get a pretty close representation of that singing Santana lead sound. Clean channel is wonderfully clear, responsive and can be as dark or as bright and chimey as you like with the help of the EQ.

Amazing the amount of bells and whistles in this amp.

5. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

Been a boogie player for years, if I was limited to only one amp, the Mark IV would be the amp of choice too!

It's a tweek'r dream amp, almost any sound can be found.

6. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

Buhahahahaha!! Im an Idiot lol!! :D

:BEER

7. max_1975

max_1975 Member

I love the Mark series! I have a Mark III loaded a Quad and a Triaxis...they sound stellar!

8. SFW

SFW Member

9. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I am a MKIV widebody user. Spend some time with it. It took me a few days to really dial in R1 and R2.

R1 for me is Gain 7(not pulled) bass and mid right about 4.5 treble 8 presence 4.

this is a really nice full clean sound

Scott

10. shinebox

shinebox Member

Been using the wide body combo and short head for years.Its the only one that really works for me and I've tried a bunch:BEER

11. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I had a boogie for about a month. I loved the clean and lead tones. I just couldn't get the amp to do clean, crunch, and lead tones I liked at the same time.

Great amp.... I think I was just asking too much of it.

I ended up with a two amp setup to get the tones I wanted.

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have owned a couple of Mk IVs over the years and my experience with them is that they sometimes sound a little cold when jamming alone in the bedroom/basement, but sound AMAZING and cut through a band like nobody's bidness in a live situation.

It's definitely an amp for PLAYERS. Even with it gained out, it WILL reveal sloppy technique.

Takes a bit of work to dial in, but definitely WORTH it!!

:AOK

13. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I have been using a MKIV short head for the past 8 years, usually into a 1x12 cab. Although lately I have just been using the clean channel and a bunch of pedals, I started exploring various power tubes (6L6's & E34L's) and some of the deeper amp settings to get back to channel switching.

14. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Incredible amp. I absolutely love mine, just an amazing amp to play, as digital jams said.

Sometimes I think about going Bogner, but I just couldn't get rid of my IV. It is too much fun to play and sounds really amazing whilst being a ton of fun. And I agree, almost any tone can be found, it really is that versatile.

15. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Not to poo-poo on the parade, but for me it's the worst sounding amp on the market. Lifeless, and undynamic. But to each his own, as some players can make that amp sing.

16. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I agree with you about the clean channel. It was my biggest surprise with the MK IV. I played mostly BF and SF Fenders for many years and that was the clean sound I loved. I then bought a MK IV - mostly for the lead channel - but after playing around with Channel 1 I found some great cleans for either blues or jazz. I still like my Fenders for their glassy highs but I don't feel like I'm giving up all that much if I have to use the MK IV instead.

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I played a Mk III and then a MK IV for many years. My MK IV and a Keeley Time Machine booster was a great set up. The only amp I ever really liked the TMB with.

18. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

The Mk series of amps have the best cleans of any Mesa. Well the LSC might be a hair better.
    I liked my IIc+ more and sold the MkIV but it is a versatile amp. If you get tired of your tone you turn a few knobs and get something completely different.
    Just be sure to write down your favorites. Or take a pic and save it.

Definitely plug into a cab. You'll like it more.

19. coxswain

coxswain Member

20. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member