Boogie Mark V Channel 3 Went Quiet... Bad Preamp Tube?

tronus

Hey all,

Today I was playing my Mark V and when I changed to channel 3, I noticed it was much more quiet than the other channels (almost silent).

I am thinking a preamp tube burnt out. Does each channel have it's own preamp tubes and if so, which go with which channels?

sickboy79

I don't know the specifics of that Mesa but, that is a symptom of a bad preamp tube. I would take a known good one (not from your amp) and sub it into each spot in the amp. In the spot that it goes away, that's the one. If that doesn't do it, it's something else and I would take it to a tech.

tronus

I don't know the specifics of that Mesa but, that is a symptom of a bad preamp tube. I would take a known good one (not from your amp) and sub it into each spot in the amp. In the spot that it goes away, that's the one. If that doesn't do it, it's something else and I would take it to a tech.
Ok awesome, I will try that right now. I found a tube diagram on the internet as well. Thank yas

tronus

Got it! It was V5. I broke the stock tube in V4 while I was at it... oops! I was having a hell of a time getting the tube shield back on and I snapped the stem off. Luckily I had some good used preamp tubes I pulled out of my Blues Jr.

It looks like the channels share combinations of the tubes so this should impact all the channels. It does seem like the other two channels sound a bit better. Yay to a working Mark V.

Trending Topics