Boogie Mark V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Vishnu, Sep 11, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

I see there is a 3 channel regular V and then a 2 channel 35 and 25, other than losing the 3rd channel , what vital feature(s) are you missing if you opt to go for the lower powered 35 or 25?

I guess i am trying to find out if there is something missing from the 25 and 35s that makes it a deal breaker for you,something on the Regular full featured V that makes it well worth the extra dough?

2. mikemjr12

mikemjr12 Member

The full sized head has the option to use a preset V for the graphic EQ and selectable Tube or Silicon rectifier.

Dale likes this.
  3. muzishun

muzishun Member

4. chance0

chance0 Member

Mark I!!! (I had the Mark V. I eventually got a Lone Star because I liked its take on the Mark I better in the end. But Mark I is a great sound.)

5. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

Going from a big V to the smaller ones, you lose:
    - the Tweed and Mark 1 modes
    - Crunch channel separate from Clean (on the small guys, it's on channel one)
    - big iron and tubes
    - with the 25, you don't get the global output or solo volume functions

That said, I love my 25. I have considered going to the big-boy 90w, not for the volume, but for the ability to have clean and crunch settings on separate footswitchable channels, and the global output feature.

sundog964, Dale, Mr Fingers and 2 others like this.
  6. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

7. MattC

MattC Member

The most common complaint with the smaller Mk Vs seems to be clean and crunch on the same channel and therefore not footswitchable.

I had a Mark V 90 for a while. Nice amp. Have never tried the 25 or 35. I could see the clean and crunch being on the same channel being an annoying limitation for me. I also would probably miss the Tweed mode on ch 1, which was probably my favorite mode on the big MV.

8. Jaji

Jaji Member

I wanted a 35, but wound up getting the 90 watter because of the great deal I got - basically less than a new V35. I am glad I went this route instead. Having more channels and modes is what I needed anyway. And the Tweed mode on channel 1 is fantastic!

9. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

I have the V:35 and can concur that the Crunch/clean thing not being footswitchable is an unfortunate limitation. But it's an excellent amp otherwise. I couldn't imagine needing a 90w version.

10. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I can't imagine losing the tweed mode alone.

11. Inupiat

Inupiat Member

I have the V35, the ONLY complaint is the clean, fat, and crunch all on the same channel, initially I was disappointed with the reverb, but was using it mostly a low volume, that goes away as the volume does up. I wanted the 90 and was going to grab one but only the JPC2 35 and 25 were available, I dont regret it at all and love the V35!! Fanfriggintastic that amp

12. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Maybe it's just me, but I have had a number of different Mesas and have never had trouble playing at lower volumes with the higher powered ones. If anything, I think the greater headroom (and hefty transformers) helps. I find virtually everything Mesa makes to be freaking loud, loud, loud, and most players do not know how to use the knobs, but if you get a clue, I think they are all terrific. I agree with the many posters who say that having the channel layout match the tones/styles you want is of fundamental performance. Changing channels is the whole Mesa thing; having to switch up within a channel is a no-go, IMO. May as well just use pedals if you have to do that.

db2112 likes this.
  13. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

They took away some of the features and modes I like most when they downsized. Can't please everybody.

Mark 1 mode -- this is the best high gain mode on the amp IMO. For all I care, the third channel could be just this mode. In fact, that would be kinda nice because Mark I appears on Channel 2 and I use Crunch more than Channel 3 modes.

Tweed mode. Mid gain tones are the Mark's weak point IMO. And the Tweed mode does mid gain the best IMO. With Minis, you just kinda get Clean or Crunch on channel 1 and heavy on channel 2.

Big bottles and big iron -- it still does 10W. I like EL84s as much as anybody, but I really think the amp suits the bigger bottles and iron. I run mine with EL34s.

Tube rectifier (optional) is nice.

Jaji likes this.
  14. Jaji

Jaji Member

Not to mention, the V:90 can go down to 10 watts on each channel, if desired. Or 45...or 90.

db2112 and eigentone like this.
  15. MattC

MattC Member

Couldn't agree more with Mesas. As a general rule for me, the bigger, higher-wattage Mesas have always been easier to control volume-wise. The Mark V 90 I had fit this bill -- it was very easy to get solid tones at reasonable volumes, even without flipping things down to 10 watts. The smaller Mesas I've had got awfully loud really quickly. But I've never played a V:35 or V:25, so I can't speak to them specifically.

16. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

My Mark V:90 has so much balls running through an EV15. It's Jabba the Hut.

[​IMG]

17. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I have both 35 head and 90 combo and man its a tough choice. 90 has simulclass and really sounds great low low volumes. I would say it's the best sound at low bedroom volume tube amp i have ever had. The 35 sounds great too but it really depends what you are looking for. The 90 definitely has much more to offer on options. As a fun to play amp i prefer the 35 for the midrange tones from el84s but as a gigging amp the 90 has more clarity and response. The more i think about it the more i realize that the 90 is one of the best amplifiers ever made. If you want a Mark V as it is meant to be then the 90 would be the first stop. Check them both out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 12:24 AM
  18. notyalcer

notyalcer Silver Supporting Member

I have not played a V35, but it gets high praise for having excellent tones. It has 6 of the 9 preamp modes of the V90 (I have the combo with a wide body open back extension cab), and 2 channels vs 3, but lacks my two favorite modes from the 90: Tweed and Mark I.

Each of the three power levels (10/45/90 watts) of the 90 sound and feel distinctly different. Not sure if the 10/25/35 watt power levels on the V35 do the same. The global master volume on the V90 is very smooth from whisper to full volume and it sounds great at practice levels. Not sure how useful the dual Solo controls on the V35 are in practice. The single Solo control on the V90 is useful and simple to use.

The CabClone and headphone out would be nice to have on the V90. CabClone gets mixed reviews but still seems very useful.

To answer the OP’s question, for me the Vital features of the big V90 are the Tweed and Mark I modes and the 90 watts of power. Even at lower volumes, the four 6L6 tubes impart authority. Tweed is super fun at 10 watts for edge of dirty, and Mark I mode has become my favorite voice.

superslidetail likes this.
  19. Dale

Dale Member

I went 5:25 to V. Even more flexibilty.

J Factor likes this.