• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boogie Mk I Reissue - need help with a few details

ProfRhino

looks like I finally found me a decent one ... :drool
plain jane cream tolex, recently serviced
gonna pick it up next week, seller appears trustworthy on the phone.

- would somebody have a decent pic or two of the trannys, preferably export (240V) version ?
the web didn't come up with much ...
- anything else I should watch out for, model specific things ?

thanks for any insight,
Rhino

ProfRhino

ok, I've found a pic of the power tranny & sticker, this one should be hard to replace with an aftermarket one anyway, due to the "tweed" tap.

still haven't seen a decent pic of the output tranny though, just a shadowy one where it looks quite small for 100W. Anybody ?

thanks,
Rhino

jads57

Call Mesa Boogie they are very helpful! A cool thing with some high power Boogies w/ Tweed and 60 watt power setting is being able to run 6V6 tubes. This is true for the Mark 4, and believe the Mk 1 reissue as well. But definitely check your manual for sure.

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
Call Mesa Boogie they are very helpful! A cool thing with some high power Boogies w/ Tweed and 60 watt power setting is being able to run 6V6 tubes. This is true for the Mark 4, and believe the Mk 1 reissue as well. But definitely check your manual for sure.
+1. I used to own 3 Mark I reissues - they can run 6L6, EL34 and 6V6 power tubes. I always thought they sounded best with 6V6's.

ProfRhino

Thanks for the info guys !
afaik the amp comes with new TADs which aren't half bad, and I have a quad of STR415 Sylvanias in the drawer for an occasion like this, so that should get me by for the moment. :JAM
I might have my tech mod it for external biasing one day, guess that makes sense.

calling Mesa is not an option, as I'm in EU ...
all I'm hoping for is a clear pic of the OT to verify it's original when I pick it up.

thanks,
Rhino

Vai81

Congrats! I'm jealous, ive been gassing for a MK1 or a kingsnske lately

Let us know how it goes!

ProfRhino

thanks Vai, I'll certainly report.
ETA by the end of the week, if all goes according to plan.
ever since the 80s I've always had a Boogie or three in the stable, I'm familiar with the original (non-) Mk I, but for some odd reason I've never owned one myself ...
It's this Kingsnake clip that reactivated the old obsession :
I have a feeling I will like the Tweed Power, at least on the Heartbreaker it's cool for that "small amp vibe".
Btw, I never got any convincing Mark OD tones out of the HB, although it's a spectacular clean amp.
I'm mostly hoping for those thick sustaining leads Larry Carlton got, or lower gain Santana (not a huge fan of his current super compressed tone).
we'll see, pretty excited about this one !
cheers,
Rhino

Vai81

thanks Vai, I'll certainly report.
ETA by the end of the week, if all goes according to plan.
ever since the 80s I've always had a Boogie or three in the stable, I'm familiar with the original (non-) Mk I, but for some odd reason I've never owned one myself ...
It's this Kingsnake clip that reactivated the old obsession :
I have a feeling I will like the Tweed Power, at least on the Heartbreaker it's cool for that "small amp vibe".
Btw, I never got any convincing Mark OD tones out of the HB, although it's a spectacular clean amp.
I'm mostly hoping for those thick sustaining leads Larry Carlton got, or lower gain Santana (not a huge fan of his current super compressed tone).
we'll see, pretty excited about this one !
cheers,
Rhino
I'm with you on the MKI doing the round, thick sustaining leads thing as that's exactly what I would be wanting it to do.

I'm still researching the MKI as I've never heard or played one in person but I've been down the whole dumble rabbit hole and have walked away not totally satisfied each time. Although the dumble clones have been close, I've a feeling the MKI might be what I've been searching for in terms of tone and feel.

Blue Marvel

I'm with you on the MKI doing the round, thick sustaining leads thing as that's exactly what I would be wanting it to do.

I'm still researching the MKI as I've never heard or played one in person but I've been down the whole dumble rabbit hole and have walked away not totally satisfied each time. Although the dumble clones have been close, I've a feeling the MKI might be what I've been searching for in terms of tone and feel.
Oddly enough an original Dumble and a Mark I are the same circuit. I like the Mark I amps better.

ProfRhino

Oddly enough an original Dumble and a Mark I are the same circuit. I like the Mark I amps better.
... define original Dumble, please ! :confused
Afaik the ODS at least shares a few similarities with a Mk II, as the tonestack feeds the OD channel, directly shaping the OD. One step further, and you get the hidden HRM stack* vs Boogie's 5 band EQ, both post OD.
Not unlike a dBX NR, you can do the clever emphasis / de-emphasis trick the metal guys love so much with their Boogies ...
The Mk I however is the oddball, as its OD stage is basically just slapped in front of the proper, Fender derived amp - i.e. pre-input, pre-tonestack, like a built-in tube booster.
And comparing the circuits, none of them are anywhere near identical afaics. :dunno
Sure, some similarities are inevitable given the Fender heritage.

And while it's only an addon, stock Boogie loops are very usable, Dumble's however - next question ... :eek:

Kimock could explain this better, somebody please correct me where I'm wrong,
Rhino

* only on the HRM models, obviously

lemonpaul59

Where oh where did you "learn" that?

An "original" Dumble? Would that be from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s? HRM? Skyliner?

No, Dumble did not copy Boogie and Boogie did not copy Dumble. That did not happen.

If you mean both started out with a extra 12AX7 to overdrive a Fender Princeton, you could be somewhat close.

lemonpaul59

... define original Dumble, please ! :confused
Afaik the ODS at least shares a few similarities with a Mk II, as the tonestack feeds the OD channel, directly shaping the OD. One step further, and you get the hidden HRM stack* vs Boogie's 5 band EQ, both post OD.
Not unlike a dBX NR, you can do the clever emphasis / de-emphasis trick the metal guys love so much with their Boogies ...
The Mk I however is the oddball, as its OD stage is basically just slapped in front of the proper, Fender derived amp - i.e. pre-input, pre-tonestack, like a built-in tube booster.
And comparing the circuits, none of them are anywhere near identical afaics. :dunno
Sure, some similarities are inevitable given the Fender heritage.

And while it's only an addon, stock Boogie loops are very usable, Dumble's however - next question ... :eek:

Kimock could explain this better, somebody please correct me where I'm wrong,
Rhino

* only on the HRM models, obviously
The graphic EQ "is the tonestack used in the [PPI] overdrive. " Not all Boogies have GEQ. My Mark IIC+ does not have one. I don't believe Larry Carlton's had GEQ and I believe Santana never uses the GEQ on his original Mark I (before it was known as a Mark I).

Blue Marvel

The graphic EQ "is the tonestack used in the [PPI] overdrive. " Not all Boogies have GEQ. My Mark IIC+ does not have one. I don't believe Larry Carlton's had GEQ and I believe Santana never uses the GEQ on his original Mark I (before it was known as a Mark I).
The GEQ is definately not a have to though its kind of nice to have as an extra flavor. I can go either way.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Where oh where did you "learn" that?

An "original" Dumble? Would that be from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s? HRM? Skyliner?

No, Dumble did not copy Boogie and Boogie did not copy Dumble. That did not happen.

If you mean both started out with a extra 12AX7 to overdrive a Fender Princeton, you could be somewhat close.
Except in Alexanders case it would've been a bassman. Regarding the Dumble loop being non usable. I guess it all depends on your application. Has served me well over the years just as the SLO loop has that so many complain about. Just gotta know HOW too use them.

Joe Boy

Rhino, I hope you'll love your new Boogie. I've had mine for years. Oh what a sweet, sweet, amp.
Be prepared to receive compliments on how great your tone and playing are though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom