Boogie = poor man's Dumble? SRV said so

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jtwang, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

"...just bought two Mesa Boogies. I don’t even know what models they are — they’re the small wooden ones. The reason I’m using them is they sound a lot like a Dumble. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to buy a Dumble as soon as I get the money!”

(From Guitar World 1983, http://www.tangledupinblues.com/beforetheflood.html)

It'd be interesting to hear what you people think of this quote. I'm not familiar with Mesa/Boogie (or Dumbles...), but I assume he means a Mark II, correct?

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Well, I wouldn't say it today. I do, however, wonder what models SRV was refering to back then. I love the Rectoverb combo. I don't think it was in production then. The DC10 kickes ass. It is hard for me to compare them to a Dumble though. Imagine if SRV could have played a Fuchs.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

It was a MkII, most likely. And, yes, a Boogie Mk series has many similarities to a Dumble. They can sound quite similar and Mk series Boogies sound great. Great value in the used market.

Mike

4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Sounds to me more like a Mark I, I could see him using one.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

Maybe you didn't see the MKIIC+ Simul Class that just sold on eBay for $5.1K.

The MKIII Simul Classes are a great value though. My favorites are the red stripes for being closest to the C+s and the purple stripes for doing Boogie and Marshall type sounds.

6. digital jams

digital jams Member

Boogie prices are way up from 3 years ago, poor men will have to pony up over a grand for a used MK III.

Smart man's move to go Boogie and save himself some coin for RF cd collections :BEER

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

A good MKIII is well worth $1K.

8. woude

woude Member

Santana uses dumbles and boogies next to each other... that says something.

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I played a MKIII at GC this week and the lead channel was horrible I couldn't get nothing good out of it except mud, I was really disappointed. Please don't tell me you need to tweak it because I did, maybe it was this particular amp, I tried everything eq in, eq out, mids up, mids down etc...

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My experience with Boogies has been positive, especially the Mark Is and the Mark IIs. Lots of tone in there.

I also like the Blue Angel and especially the Maverick, but they are different animals entirely, IMO...

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Yep! I saw the light when they were only bringing $700-$800. It's a great amp for even $1200 :band

Maybe there was a prob, but usually you can get a decent tone of of them if you don't have the pre amp gain tweeked too the moon. If your guitar's humbuckers are really hot, that's can be a prob as well.

I think they sound the best with a single coils or P90s.

12. MBreinin

Yeah, well..that is the Holy Grail of Boogies. You can still pick up IIBs and regular IICs for a good value..although I think the way to go is a MkIII.

Even at 5k, it is less than many new amps and CERTAINLY less than a Dumble!

Mike

13. joelbah

joelbah Member

that was an interesting article. I've always loved SRV

14. MBreinin

Boogies really need proper speakers to sound right. Also, there is a magic to tweaking a Boogie. I could never get a good sound out of one until I was shown how to tweak it correctly. There also may have been a problem with the one you tested, they are 20 year old amps at this point.

Mike

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I was using single coils. It seemed to be a function of the second lowest eq control, this is where the mud seemed to reside. If I cut it too much I lost the balls, if I raised for balls it became too muddy.

You could probably put different tubes in there and tweak it but I have learned the hard way, if you don't dig an amp for what it is, tube changes will only enhance what you have, it will not create a whole new amp for you.

Regarding a boogie that sounds like a Dumble I always thought the Maverick did it the best, if they could eliminate the time lag when switching channels it would be a killer amp, the 2x12 is way too heavy though.

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The "In Step" recording where he used boogies and marshalls and a lot of other amps was his worst tone IMO.

I think there are a lot of similarities in the MKIIC+ and MKIII amps and dumbles. The Mesa amps have to be turned up really loud to get great tone IMO whereas the dumbles sound good at almost any volume. Cleans are very peaky on the Mesas though.

17. tcforec

tcforec Member

The MkIIc+ that went for 5k had the output transformer and had many overseas bidders (check the exchange rate as to why it sold for so much). You can still get a C+ from 2k to 3k depending on the setup (simul class etc.). I just ran into one in a friend's closet and traded for it. It doesn't have the eq but even without the pots are very interchangeable and that is why some people have a problem tweaking them. Turn the treble knob two degrees and it WILL change the other settings. Take the bass over three or four and it will get flabby. I just put and EV 12l in it (the speaker it was designed around) and it made a huge difference.

I am usually class A guy (an old SC30 is my main amp and I also love the two knob low power setups) but there is a LOT of tone in both channels of this C+. You can dial in some fantastic cleans and some classic rock tones. And if you want the Metallica crunch or high gain lead stuff it is there in spades. It will rip your head off. I usually run it in "class a" setting (not true class A) which is around twenty five watts of EL34. Sounds great on Simul-Class with the 34's and 6l6's humming together.

Build quality on these are awsome and if call them you can talk to the guy who engineered it within about 30 seconds. Great American company.

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Hmm... My favorite recording of his.

Different strokes... ;)

19. jhumber

jhumber Member

Yeah, he probably has an endorsement with Boogie ;-)

20. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

the mark II series boogies might be the "poor man's dumble" but that would also mean the poor man has the better tone to my ears.