1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BOOGIE QUAD vs. Boogie Mark IIC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jujo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I used to own a Quad and it was completely bad ass. I was especially fond of the 1st (top) channel- rhythm 1 and Lead 1. I also owned a Mark IIC later on in life. The Quad manual says that channel 1 of the Quad closely resembles the Mark IIC. My experience hasn't shown that. My 100w Mark IIC was thinner and gainier than my channel 1 quad sounds, and the clean wasn't as good either. About 2 weeks ago I played a Mark III that reminded me of the channel 1 on the Quad- oddly enough...

Does anyone have any strong opinions (backed up with experience) about which Mark amps sound closest to channel 1 on the Quad. I'm thinking about trying to get that sound again.

Thanks!

2. Keld

Keld Member

I think the Quad is a great sounding pre as well.

What power amp did you pair it with? Perhaps that has something to do with the difference you are hearing.

3. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Yea I thought about that...and the speakers too. My Quad was attached to a 50/50 power amp going through one of those gigantic 2x12's with 1 EV and 1 Black Shadow.

I'm not looking for that monster rock sound. I'm just thinking of picking up an old Mark head for the clean fender sound and that big rock rhythm tone that I got from channel 1 of my old Quad.

4. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

5. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Well if the Mk III reminded you of what you had with your Quad then check the stripe of the one you played and get one.Seriously, you know what sound you remember in your head better than anyone.

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I can't play that amp again... Besides I thought there'd be people here with experience with MKII and MKIII amps.

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I owned them all, and the Mark III Coliseum comes the closest, but still no cigar. Channel one on the Quad preamp was fantastic. Best cleans from a Boogie I have heard, and great overdrive.

8. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. I can't get with a Coliseum- too big. I guess I'll have to take my chances with one of the Mark II's or III's that are always for sale. I've played some that were really great and others that were just blah.