boogie sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by weet5150, Mar 1, 2012.

1. weet5150

weet5150 Member

I have recently purchased a used mesa f30. It is in great shape, but the speaker was replaced with a red coat governor speaker. This has made the amp very mid-dy. It has very little bottom end. Can anyone with experience help me out with a speaker recommendation. I love the bite out of this amp and don't want to lose that, but i do want a little more feeling in the floor.

2. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I believe Celestion V30's were stock in those amps.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you want to get rid of mids you need something more like a Celestion Classic lead or a Anniversary, both of these has less mids than a V30 or Governor.

4. weet5150

weet5150 Member

i think you are right.

5. somedude

somedude Member

If it's a 1x12 open back combo it's going to sound middy without a whole lot of bottom end. It's the nature of small Boogie combos to sound that way.

Add a 1x12 extension cab or (better yet) a 2x12 closed back cab and you'll find your missing bottom end.

And if you want to return your amp back to stock, buy a Mesa OEM replacement V30. It's voiced different than an off the shelf V30.

6. dughaze

dughaze Member

Right on somedude. Middy combo's can provide excellent cut in a band but when you listen to it by itself it's going to hurt. I always picture cutting the head off of a combo and discarding the waste and plugging it into a real spenker cab.

OP - Plug that baby into a Recto 2x12 cab or something similar and the low end will magically appear and it'll sound as mean and tasty as it needs to.

7. weet5150

weet5150 Member