1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Boogie/Tele pr0n

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kludge, May 24, 2011.

1. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Just thought some of you would appreciate it...

[​IMG]
    two of my favorite things by dave was already taken, on Flickr

1977 Boogie Mark I and 1980 Tokai "Breezysound" Tele. The Tokai has been modded with EMG pickups, Wilkinson half-bridge, bakelite pickguard, and a Fender sticker on the headstock. It's my favorite electric guitar ever.

2. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Very cool looking setup

3. kludge

Sounds cooler than it looks. :)

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Why the half bridge?

Where's the confounded other half? (JB/Zep ref)

5. kludge

The half bridge was an experiment. With most Tele pickups, that bridge/pickup interaction is very important. But with the EMGs, it's just annoying, plus the whole ashtray thing is annoying. But the classic saddles are imporant to the sound too. The half bridge gives me three saddles, but lets me screw the pickup directly into the wood and gets the ashtray out of the way of my picking. I'm very happy with it.

As a bonus, the Wilkinson version supports top-loading as well as through-string, something else I was interested in. And I LOVE top-loading! It changes the feel quite a bit, for the better imho.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Are those your settings? No mids, bass on 6? You playing through the normal channel on that blonde lovely?

7. kludge

More likely the knobs got bumped moving it around. That happens sometimes. The bass would NEVER be on 6! I don't think the bass has been over 3 since I first got any sort of ear at all for what the amp does.

I almost always use the #1 (high gain) input, but don't play with a lot of gain. It'll be V1 4-6, V2 4-7, and Master 2-5 most of the time, treble starts at 7 and may go up to 8 or down to 6 depending, bass 1-3 (and maybe 0), mids wherever because they're almost irrelevant. Graphic eq off, usually.

Adjusting any one of the volume/gain knobs usually means adjusting ALL of them, and possibly treble as well. They interact like crazy. If you play the amp a lot, it's all very intuitive and your ears just know which knob needs a touch-up. But without experience, it'll drive you bonkers trying to dial it in! I'm really tweaking it to my drummer, and the room - I know what I'm after. I set my overall volume to balance the drums, then "eq" with the gain controls, which is mostly about loosening or tightening the bass response and mid/treble balance.

Hands-down, this is the best sounding amp I've ever owned, and one of the best I've ever heard. Warmth, girth, and clarity are ALL there.