Boogie × Plexi: Two classic tones in one amp?

I just started getting back into Rush and ZZ Top and MAN! That tone! :love:
To make a long story short, are there any Mesa amps that can do a convincing plexi tone? Or if not, are there any amps that can do a boogie clean tone, smooth boogie overdrive, and a plexi overdrive.
I'm looking for a channel switching tube head.
Tone examples:
Plexi: Plexi: (It's a crappy old recording of an old live show, but it really showcases a great tone.)
Boogie Clean Tone: Boogie Overdrive: Some amps I am interested in are:
Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker
The Mesa Boogie Mark series
Laney Lionheart l50h
Any help or amp suggestions is greatly appreciated.

scotty31

Kingsnake is a great amp. But you are right it is rare and expensive. The mklv is probably the better bet. Can the mklv do a convincing plexi tone?
convincing plexi..not so much.
but it has a nice classic crunch to it. If you put the right LP in front of it you should be satisfied enough if it has to be 2 amps in one.

Otherwise - the SLO100 will make you forget about wanting a plexi or mesa, and it's one amp :)

convincing plexi..not so much.
but it has a nice classic crunch to it. If you put the right LP in front of it you should be satisfied enough if it has to be 2 amps in one.

Otherwise - the SLO100 will make you forget about wanting a plexi or mesa, and it's one amp :)
The SLO is one killer amp! Although it's not what I'm after, I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.;) Warren Haynes gets amazing tones out of his.

Neptical

I know... I've just recently re-fallen in love with the plexi sound. And want both a mesa and Marshall sound.
Of course I had to fall in love with two completely different sounds. :bonk
You sure you want to do that? Now you need a Boogie AND a Marshall. Don't sub one for the other. I just picked up a JCM 2000 head and now I'm like...'this is exactly what I've been trying to do with my Boogies.'

...And then I remember why all my heroes have used Marshalls. Alex Lifeson, top of the list.

You sure you want to do that? Now you need a Boogie AND a Marshall. Don't sub one for the other. I just picked up a JCM 2000 head and now I'm like...'this is exactly what I've been trying to do with my Boogies.'

...And then I remember why all my heroes have used Marshalls. Alex Lifeson, top of the list.
I was kinda hoping that there would be an amp that could do both. Glad to see another Alex Lifeson fan. He's a seriously underrated guitarist. I grew up listening to rush. They were my first favorite band, my first concert, and the reason I started to play guitar.
I liked his tone from the farewell to kings album a lot.

bigtone23

I don't really know of any Boog that can do a convincing Plexi tone. The Recto, Fillmore and TA series are more in the Marshall vein, but not really there.
I had to get a Marshall for Marshall tones, and to be honest, my DSL50 doesn't really Plexi as well as it JCM800s.

Ejay

Tbh...I don’t hear anything in your clips you couldn’t do with a good clean amp and a pedal.
The “Mesa cleans” could almost be any amp.

for good cleans and a marshaleish overdrive, check egnater rebel and/or renegade.

SleepingSG

Triple crown. The Lone Star drive channel has a switch
Normal: let’s your guitars natural balance shine
Thick: Plexi switch
Thicker: Boogie switch

I’m not sure that the plexi switch is all that plexi though. But that was the stated intention

I don't really know of any Boog that can do a convincing Plexi tone. The Recto, Fillmore and TA series are more in the Marshall vein, but not really there.
I had to get a Marshall for Marshall tones, and to be honest, my DSL50 doesn't really Plexi as well as it JCM800s.
So what would you recommend for a plexi sound?

Tbh...I don’t hear anything in your clips you couldn’t do with a good clean amp and a pedal.
The “Mesa cleans” could almost be any amp.

for good cleans and a marshaleish overdrive, check egnater rebel and/or renegade.
I do like egnaters. I've played an Armageddon and a Tweaker 88. Both were great amps.

Trending Topics