Boogies closest to Fender Cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jack Walker, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

I heard a country player using a MKIV last night and his tones, clean and dirty, were immaculate. I was amazed that it was a Boogie MKIV. He was running it in Class A mode. Are there any other Boogies that will get those fendery cleans? I would have bought that amp last night on the spot if he would have sold it to me. I owned a MKIII almost twenty years ago. It had the class A switch but I never ran it that way.

Can anyone help? I'm need another backup amp. But I'm limited to about $1000 dollars. I might try to pick something up either in this forum or on Ebay. I do love the boogie overdrive.

Thanks!

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Not to spam here -- but my Boogie F-30 sound like Fender cleans to me -- that's why I bought it.

But I'm selling it because the dirty channel is too dirty for me -- I replaced it with a Carr Rambler, which barely gets dirty at all.

It's in the emporium for $650.

I also think the Lone Star Special has Fender style cleans, but it sells for $1,599.

Again, please excuse the spam.

3. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

MKIV clean channel is the best thing about it, to me. Huge cleans with spank and clank.

4. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to need plenty of spank. I'll be playing country/country rock through it, But I still want that boogieOD. Does the F30 spank? Can it be a country machine with an Asat?

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

You can certainly get a treble-ly thing going. It would be the best of my amps to spank with.

And it definitely has the Boogie OD.

Best to check one out at local shop, I suppose.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

If money is no object the John Suhr's OD100 gets the Fender clean and great, great gain.

7. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Lonestar Classic or Special. The Classic has the big 6L6 Fender vibe with a killer reverb.

8. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Gold Supporting Member

I've got three Mesa Boogies- A Blue Angel 4x10, a F-50 1X12 combo, and a Stiletto Trident head. The Blue Angel has a sweet blue clean channel- Well, I guess it only has one channel! :) But it doesn't sound Fenderish to me, even the the 6V6 side of the amp is kinda Deluxe Reverbish... I think the whole Class A thing makes for a different sound than the Fender amps. Which gets me to my F-50. I love the clean channel on the amp. When you plug in to it you find yourself playing clean stuff just because you LOVE the way it sounds. Chimmy... one more comment - The F-50 and single coils are a thing of beauty. A lot of times I plug in to amps and single coils can just sound thin... If you plug in to a Mesa F-50 with a strat with a 5 way switch you will find yourself playing in every position on the switch, because each position sounds different than you remember it with other amps. I guess as a little bit of gear snob it surprises me that my favorite Mesa amp is their entry level line. Of course the guys at Mesa would say that there isn't an entry level Mesa amp, and, i would agree!

9. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

+1 on the Lone Star. I have the Lone Star Special and I'd have to say the cleans feel more Vox-ish than Fendery. But as I recall, the Lone Star (standard) has shimmering cleans and great reverb.

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

My Mark 1 will do fender clean all day long. I've seen them go used in the $700 range. The Mark 1 is what I play out with so that my BF Twin Reverb doesn't have to leave the house anymore.

...Stormin!

11. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

If he was in Class A then he was probely using 4=6V6,s
    That was the cool thing I use to do with Mine,you can use 4 6V6 into the 4 ohm load and triode and in tweed switch,and I could nail Black Face Fender Deluxe,I also used the Celestian Black shadow speaker with it,
    I only used Clean and 2nd channel of the amp the 3rd channel was to much drive for my needs,
    But the MarkIV,s are a very good amp. :D

12. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

My .03: speakers, speakers, speakers. You shouldn't expect clean tone which can compete side-by-side with a real Fender reverb combo from a cone with a British midrange hump or beamy (as in long-throw), potentially ice-pick highs. It can't really be dialed out, you know? Best cleans I've gotten from my old MkIIB (60w/rev) came from running it in a head cab into a mid '60s Bassman 2x12 with the original 50w Utahs.

You might think about it this way: the old Mk-series amps were drawn from bf Fender typologies, right? Why wouldn't you want to try them with bf-era speakers?

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

My Mark III gets a TON of different sounds with it's various boost switches and built in EQ. It definitely can emulate Fender sounds.

The biggest problem is the balancing act between the OD settings and the clean. I ended up carrying two amps, a Mark II for OD and the MarkIII for clean, crunch and sometimes OD.

Now that I have a TR, the old two amp setup is obsolete.

[SPAM ON]
    I'm considering sell the Mark III, e-mail me if your interested.
    [/SPAM OFF]

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Dont agree with you totally,You are think correct but tone to my ear is where I am at,I can get very good Fender tones from celestian,s I have a couple tunes on my web site Listen to Lenny,and Wind cries Mary on it and you can here a very British flavor let me know,
    They are Hellaton 60,and a Mesa BlackShadow 90 with my Fender concert,Rivera desgin.
    www.bluesviolators.com
    :dude

15. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

My Mesa Mk III red stripe with EQ and reverb gets that country spank sound as well as huge overdrive. At 60 watts in 6L6 it gets that great Fender clean sound with enough watts to back up the power you need for gigs. It is listed for sale in the Amps and Cabs Emporium where you can also see pictures.

Regards
    Tone Disciple

16. kram21

kram21 Member

Mesa maverick has a fenderish clean tone