Book : Fundamentals of Guitar, Miles Okazaki

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dsimon665, May 26, 2015.

1. dsimon665

dsimon665 Supporting Member

Some of you might like Miles Okazaki's book. It has two sections - Pitch and Rhythm.

http://fundamentalsofguitar.com/

One of his interests is drawing so the book has some graphics. In the rhythm chapters he goes over polypulse, polyrhythm, drum rudiments on guitar.

The scores for his albums are on his website. Here is one of his compositions (featuring metric modulation, 5&7 tuples) from his rhythm album :

check out his description on that youtube link for the rhythmic form basis for the composition.

also check out his drummer Dan Weiss if you haven't. He studies tabla with Pandit Samir Chatterjee.

2. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I haven't bought it yet but I'm sure I will at some point. He's got a 'Fundamentals of Guitar' playlist on YouTube that I've checked out and gleaned some good info from. I like his playing and approach to teaching.

3. Neer

Neer Member

He was in Steve Coleman's band, so he'd better be up on his rhythm.

Nice stuff. Very nice.

jb70 and deeohgee like this.
  4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Bumping this thread, as I just ordered the book. Anyone work through this?

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Thanks for the info. Sid Jacobs did some nice solo guitar arrangements of Monk tunes. He also published a book of Bill Evans tunes for solo guitar, that was approved by the Evans estate.

dsimon665 likes this.
  6. Nordberg

Nordberg Member

I've worked through the book. Still am! I recommend it for people who's bored by 'normal' teaching material.

7. dsimon665

love Sid Jacobs...didn't know he was into Monk, but I do have his Evans book. He has some YT vids out there playing some of the arrangements IIRC. Also, I think his site had a reproduction of a guitar mag article he did on Namia (I think?). Jacobs was/is into how to incorporate features unique to the guitar into his arrangements ... like open strings.

Speaking of Monk, and Okazaki...he's really into Monk as well. He just released a compendium of Monks "complete" songbook.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/arts/music/thelonious-monk-solo-distler-okazaki.html

"The complete compositions of Thelonious Monk, Miles Okazaki solo guitar"
    70 tunes:
    https://okazakiwork.bandcamp.com/releases

jb70, deeohgee and DrSax like this.
  8. DrSax

DrSax Member

I was just hipped to Okazaki's Monk recordings. Incredible. I'm lazy. He is not.

cubistguitar, guitarjazz and deeohgee like this.
  9. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Now I know why a kid that took a couple of lessons from me decided to go to U of Michigan.
    Dang, you. Now I'll probably order his book...like one more is going to help!

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Interesting that he links drum rudiments and picking. This is something that has sprouted up a few times including a recent Downbeat magazine workshop.

Bryan T likes this.
  11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

But does it contain TAB ;)?

12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Dense book...a compendium of info from many sources. It's hard to tell if I'll get to it in this lifetime.It's sitting by my bed saying 'read me'.
    Right now I'm having too much fun listening and figuring out tunes in the old Real Book that I've never played before...Brubeck, Mingus, Keith Jarrett....I've played a lot of the tunes in the book (RB) but there are hundreds of 'em. The book is so littered with errors...but I like the challenge of finding them.

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I’ve enjoyed tackling parts of it. There are lots of ideas I’ve seen other places, but I doubt most guitarists have seen this stuff. If you ditched the guitar focused stuff (not that you’d want to!), you’re left with a lot of great ways for thinking about harmony and rhythm.

dsimon665, Tmidiman and guitarjazz like this.
  14. dsimon665

there's a lot of compositional ideas in there for sure. His website had/has photos of his compositional notebooks. Also I think he's into drawing so there's some visual ways he works with composition.

Another thing Okazaki is into is PureData - similar to Max/MSP - a semi visual/modualr software language.

So def. into more than only guitar playing.